The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Nov 2015-June 2017

OK - competition is closed.

There are 14 entries from 3 members (though I appreciate some people may not have realised they have entered :whistling: because I have added them in if they have included a recipe (today) with potatoes in it. They just haven't linked it here. I have been keeping tabs on potato recipes and adding the 'ingredient a week competition' tag to them which allows the judge of the current competition to see all of the entries in one list!

ingredient a week competition.jpg ingredient a week competition 2.jpg

So.... I will post the results up in the morning when I have savoured the recipes and considered who should be the winner and judge of the next competition.
See you all in the morning.

Last edited:
The Results are in. They have been deliberated over, salivated over, diverted from and to and .... OK, I'll just cut to the chase.

In contention were the following recipes

@winterybella with her Jamacian Spiced Potato Wedges (https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/jamaican-spiced-potato-wedges.6237/) even though they were not actually entered into the competition formally :whistling:
@morning glory with her Leek, Potato and Saffron Soup (https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/leek-potato-and-saffron-soup-competition-entry.6231/) :soup:
and finally @classic33 with his Tattie Scones (https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/tattie-cakes-tattie-scones.6234/) despite his complaints of sabbatage! :whistling: :hungry:

@classic33 also managed the wooden spoon award for the least appetizing potato recipe (in my view) with his Potato McShake (https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/potato-mcshake.6218/) :yuck:

I would also like to commend @morning glory for what looked like her own photos of the recipes. That was a really nice touch.

And so having whittled on, and with absolutely no wish to use the wooden spoon to stir the winner's soup, I would like to announce

<yeh, I can hear you yelling "just get on with it will you woman"> the winner of the first competition is @morning glory with her Leek, Potato and Saffron Soup which will be made later this week (along with the tattie scones I will add).

DSCF2296.jpg

Congratulations. :bravo:

We need from you (@morning glory) the date and time the competition is finish (it starts when you post it up), your ingredient of choice (it can be anything that is used in cooking, so herbs, spices, meat, fish, veg, etc) and I think that is about it really.

As before, a link to the recipe should be posted here, and the "ingredient of the week competition" tag added to your recipe to make finding all of the entries much easier. Adding the key ingredient tag to the recipe would also be a nice touch as well... and obviously if the recipe is not your, please reference it and ensure that the full recipe is copied onto CB.
@morning glory over to you to run the chaos :okay:

Hooray! :dance:. I actually thought the Tattie scones would win as they had lots of good comments. Yes they are my own photos but not as good quality as I'd like (poor light quality or dodgy eyes or something). As a result I'm asking for some special photography table-top lights for my birthday (which is coming up)!

What I'd like to know is if I should post the competition as a new thread. I just feel it won't come to enough people's notice if I just add it to this thread. What do you think? If not, I'll probably post a new thread with a bit of low down on the chosen ingredient, in order to draw it to people's attention. Its actually not as easy as it might seem to try and pick an ingredient which is available in most countries. I know that isn't a pre-requisite but obviously it might help encourage more entries.

Also, I wonder if people don't know how to link a recipe entry back to the thread. I only worked out how to do that not long ago! It probably doesn't matter to much if they don't link it... we can always assume (as you did) that any recipes posted containing the chosen ingredient are entries!

Anyway, thanks for choosing me. I'm off now to make tattie scones!

I would keep it as this thread to be honest. That way everyone who has said yes they are interested will see the new alerts, unless they have opted to unwatch the thread. It is what we have done successfully on CycleChat. I have made it a sticky so it will stay at the top of the list in the The Lounge and if we get the Featured Threads back I will make it a featured thread permanently. It is all we can do really It will gain popularity with time.

If we can get people to use the tags and tag their entry as it will help keep track and I will write up some instructions for copying and pasting links and hyperlinks in general and put them under site support.
Also if you can think of what to put as the name of the competition it would help. "An ingredient a week" works to a point but... we are not doing it over a week for starters and well, I just don't know if it is the best title - but I needed something quickly and it was all I could come up with quickly. Plus I need something better for the banner across your name as well... so ideas please (everyone).

I could also do a site announcement which might bring it to everyone's attention. I am pretty certain I have that ability, but can look into that as well. I could always unsticky this thread and have a closed sticky that is the current competition if you wanted.

Any thoughts?

I could also do a site announcement which might bring it to everyone's attention. I am pretty certain I have that ability, but can look into that as well. I could always unsticky this thread and have a closed sticky that is the current competition if you wanted.

Any thoughts?

I don't understand what you mean by unstickying this thread and having a closed sticky...

What about 'Cookingbites recipe challenge' for a title or 'Cookingbites best recipe contest'. That could be interesting. We could have a six month finale or something where all the winning recipes are pitched against each other for the Best in Show. Hmm.. well baby steps first, I guess. After all, we don't really know how its going to take-off!

I don't understand what you mean by unstickying this thread and having a closed sticky...

What about 'Cookingbites recipe challenge' for a title or 'Cookingbites best recipe contest'. That could be interesting. We could have a six month finale or something where all the winning recipes are pitched against each other for the Best in Show. Hmm.. well baby steps first, I guess. After all, we don't really know how its going to take-off!

I was trying for the idea that it was a certain ingredient each time. But I can see where you are coming from with the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. Anyone else any thoughts please?

One of the reasons for specifying that you don't have to have cooked the recipe was to get around any cultural or other issues relating to the availability of the produce.

A sticky is a thread that stays at the top of the list in the list of thread under a certain forum. In other words it is pinned to the top of the list. An open sticky is one that everyone can reply in. A closed one (for instance simply advertising a competition) would be one that only I can update as a moderator.

Hooray! :dance:. I actually thought the Tattie scones would win as they had lots of good comments. Yes they are my own photos but not as good quality as I'd like (poor light quality or dodgy eyes or something). As a result I'm asking for some special photography table-top lights for my birthday (which is coming up)!

What I'd like to know is if I should post the competition as a new thread. I just feel it won't come to enough people's notice if I just add it to this thread. What do you think? If not, I'll probably post a new thread with a bit of low down on the chosen ingredient, in order to draw it to people's attention. Its actually not as easy as it might seem to try and pick an ingredient which is available in most countries. I know that isn't a pre-requisite but obviously it might help encourage more entries.

Also, I wonder if people don't know how to link a recipe entry back to the thread. I only worked out how to do that not long ago! It probably doesn't matter to much if they don't link it... we can always assume (as you did) that any recipes posted containing the chosen ingredient are entries!

Anyway, thanks for choosing me. I'm off now to make tattie scones!
Not Fadge!

Also if you can think of what to put as the name of the competition it would help. "An ingredient a week" works to a point but... we are not doing it over a week for starters and well, I just don't know if it is the best title - but I needed something quickly and it was all I could come up with quickly. Plus I need something better for the banner across your name as well... so ideas please (everyone).

Any thoughts?
"Judge & Jury"!!

I was trying for the idea that it was a certain ingredient each time. But I can see where you are coming from with the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. Anyone else any thoughts please?

One of the reasons for specifying that you don't have to have cooked the recipe was to get around any cultural or other issues relating to the availability of the produce.

A sticky is a thread that stays at the top of the list in the list of thread under a certain forum. In other words it is pinned to the top of the list. An open sticky is one that everyone can reply in. A closed one (for instance simply advertising a competition) would be one that only I can update as a moderator.

OK. I still meant only one ingredient each time. But if you want the competition title to reflect that.... ' Cookingbites ingredient challenge' ?

I saw CBIC and in my near dyslexic mind I thought it read CIBC the Canadian Bank. I wish I could offer some practical suggestions but right now my brain is not functioning. Then there is also the fact that I am a better constructive critic than I am a creator of ideas for things of this nature. Just know I will do my best to contribute wherever I can. I will say that were it not for a little birdie telling me about the competition, the whole thing would have flown over my head. Then I submitted it in the wrong section. I just suspect there were several who were not aware of the competition.

Cooking Bites Ingredients Challenge.........:scratchhead::scratchhead::scratchhead:

I saw CBIC and in my near dyslexic mind I thought it read CIBC the Canadian Bank. I wish I could offer some practical suggestions but right now my brain is not functioning. Then there is also the fact that I am a better constructive critic than I am a creator of ideas for things of this nature. Just know I will do my best to contribute wherever I can. I will say that were it not for a little birdie telling me about the competition, the whole thing would have flown over my head. Then I submitted it in the wrong section. I just suspect there were several who were not aware of the competition.

Cooking Bites Ingredients Challenge.........:scratchhead::scratchhead::scratchhead:
we don't mind other people's recipes. Its the fact that you have gone off and looked for something new and interesting that counts.
I too, am struggling for a better name, but I can sort something on the 'are you aware' front (I think!)

Back
Top Bottom