The CookingBites recipe challenge: nuts or seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure sunflower seeds get lumped in with nuts (in my experience) but they would be a good sub for those allergic to nuts (see top post). Also coconuts... which are not technically nuts.
They're stocked in with the nuts at my local grocery. It's a common question, apparently, if you believe Google.

They get lumped in as a common substitute, though. I see sunflower seeds listed alongside nuts (like, "pecans, walnuts, or sunflower seeds will work" - they're not explicitly called a nut, but they'll fit as a good sub for nuts in a lot of things.

Not an entry (it's not nut-forward enough), but we had a nice salad (very similar to the one a couple of nights ago), topped with candied pecans.

Those nuts about got away from me. It's a good thing MrsT likes things with a bit of a char to it.

or sunflower
I've never known sunflower seeds to fall into the nuts category.

It's a confusing subject because there is a culinary distinction similar to that of botanical fruit & culinary vegetables/culinary fruit that occurs with nut/drupes/ pits/seeds/hips and so on.

The definition of a botanical nut is
Botanically, a true nut is a hard-shelled pod that contains both the fruit and seed of the plant, where the fruit does not open to release the seed to the world.
Some examples of botanical nuts are horse chestnuts, sweet chestnuts, hazelnuts, cobnuts, and acorns. Not all botanical nuts are edible by humans.

That bit is easy.
The next bit is harder.

The definition of a drupe is
Drupes are any fruits with four major parts: a thin skin, a fleshy body, a hard stone, and an inner seed.

With drupes, we eat one of 2 parts, either the fleshy body or the inner seed.
for example fleshy body - peaches, nectarines, plums, cherries, dates, mangoes and also blackberries and raspberries, (but not apples, pears, quince and so on because their seeds are not encased in a hard shell/stone.)

However another example of drupes where we eat the inner seed are walnuts, pistachios, cashews, macadamia nuts, almonds, brazil nuts, coconuts and pecans.

Seeds
fall into a seperate category completely because they don't have the hard shell surrounding the seed or the fleshy part, eg. pine nuts, sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, pumpkin seeds, flaxseed, and sesame seeds...

additional reading 🥱
10 'Nuts' That Aren't Actually Nuts
Seeds, Nuts, Legumes, and Drupes - What’s the Difference? - Three Bakers
Hips, haws and drupes: when is a nut not a nut?

Last edited:
I've never known sunflower seeds to fall into the nuts category.

It's a confusing subject because there is a culinary distinction similar to that of botanical fruit & culinary vegetables/culinary fruit that occurs with nut/drupes/ pits/seeds/hips and so on.

The definition of a botanical nut is

That bit is easy.
The next bit is harder.

The definition of a drupe is

With drupes, we eat one of 2 parts, either the fleshy body or the inner seed.
for example fleshy body - peaches, nectarines, plums, cherries, dates, mangoes and also blackberries and raspberries, (but not apples, pears, quince and so on because their seeds are not encased in a hard shell/stone.)

However another example of drupes where we eat the inner seed are walnuts, pistachios, cashews, macadamia nuts, almonds, brazil nuts, coconuts and pecans.

Seeds
fall into a seperate category completely because they don't have the hard shell surrounding the seed or the fleshy part, eg. pine nuts, sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, pumpkin seeds, flaxseed, and sesame seeds...

Soooo... I still don't know if doughnuts count. :headshake:

CD

No nuts in my butter chicken but hey, I'll give anything a try. I love cashews

Russ
Easy Butter Chicken Recipe By The Curry Guy

I know no better recipes than this guys curries, and for butter chicken he always uses cashews or almonds. I've always learned that is the original Indian way to make Murgh makhani (the real name of butter chicken).
Any book on Indian cooking I know considers that authentic. But maybe I've got the wrong books. Either way, this is how I know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom