The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Paprika

View attachment 30094

Chicken Paprika Burger - I put a teaspoon of Hungarian paprika in this 5 ounce patty, and I wish I had added more. I was hoping for a ridiculously crimson burger, but this was more subtly colored. I resisted the temptation to add harissa (excellent though it would have been) to highlight the paprika.

I ground the chicken breast myself (of course) and used pickled peppers (which I pickled) in the mix to give it moisture, color, and flavor. This was a heck of a burger: I love how pan frying this chicken burger tastes like fried chicken. I retain the fat and add it to the grind for that reason.

To be repeated (probably with more paprika).

Colleen was just mentioning eating ground chicken again. We've never ground it ourselves. Can you share what equipment that you use, the process, ect.....

Thanks,

Colleen was just mentioning eating ground chicken again. We've never ground it ourselves. Can you share what equipment that you use, the process, ect.....

Thanks,

I'm not sure that this is "ground chicken". My wife would sit and painstakingly chop the chicken into tiny pieces for "laarb gai" (spicy chicken salad) but I use the chopper attachment to the Philips blender.

chopped chicken mont.jpg

The result.

laarb gai 4 s.jpg

Thanks,

We have an LEM grinder since we make sausage and the KA attachment was just too slow a process.

With something like chicken, you need to have it partially frozen before you grind. If I remember correctly when I did it once before, I cut it up in fairly small chunks, maybe inch-ish, then put in the freezer for 15-20 minutes, then pulsed the food processor until it was the size I wanted. Don't overload the food processor.

Thanks,
I started to reply here, then decided to create a new post to explain it all in detail: Meat Grinder Tips and Tricks.

I'm not sure that this is "ground chicken". My wife would sit and painstakingly chop the chicken into tiny pieces for "laarb gai" (spicy chicken salad) but I use the chopper attachment to the Philips blender.

The result.

I love chicken larb, and make it a bit at home semi regularly. Though admittedly I mostly buy the chicken already ground.

C17870DF-688D-49F3-B07A-35ABC418F929.jpeg

Chicken Paprika Burger, take 2

I really wanted a red chicken burger, so I tried something different: I only put paprika on the outside. You can’t tell from the completed sandwich, because there are too many things on top, so here’s what the patty looked like in the pan:

08FC6F5A-6554-4627-B728-C95B40C82CD8.jpeg

I added a small amount of chili de arbol that I had ground previously to give it some bite. A hot Hungarian paprika would have the same effect.

You might think the blackening was a bad thing, but it tasted incredible. It’s a bit like what happens when you grill a piece of chicken: some parts get charred, and the result is delicious. The unexpected benefit of pressing the paprika into the surface was that it helped to seal in the juices in the patty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom