The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Pistachio Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats Morning Glory

Now I have a use for all the onion skins I've been collecting (red and brown). I ordinarily use them to dye my roving before I spin it but I could find another use for it given I don't want the stove on for hours on end in the upcoming heatwave (4 days over 40°C and I have my leg in a bootie (in plaster but adjustable insert orders not to remove)) and I'm not impressed!

Oh no! I didn't expect that but I humbly thank you. I hate being judge by the way. :ohmy:
I think most of us feel that way. Sometimes it's just so hard to pick a clear winner when there are so many great entries, and of course each judge has their own preferences and tastes, so other members might not necessarily agree on the decision.

With all the new members recently, I think we are going to have a great flood of entries. Looking forward to reading and seeing the photos of your food, everyone! Allium, here we come!

Congrats Morning Glory

Now I have a use for all the onion skins I've been collecting (red and brown). I ordinarily use them to dye my roving before I spin it but I could find another use for it given I don't want the stove on for hours on end in the upcoming heatwave (4 days over 40°C and I have my leg in a bootie (in plaster but adjustable insert orders not to remove)) and I'm not impressed!
Hey, so what is roving? To us in the US, roving is when someone is moving around quite a bit, and I take it that's not you right now (sorry to make a joke out of your injury).

Do you have about another month or so before the weather cools down to a comfortable temperature? I have the opposite here, it's been very cold and I am horribly uncomfortable. It's great allium soup weather here. I'll take some of your heatwave, please!

Reactions: mjd
Hey, so what is roving? To us in the US, roving is when someone is moving around quite a bit, and I take it that's not you right now (sorry to make a joke out of your injury).

Do you have about another month or so before the weather cools down to a comfortable temperature? I have the opposite here, it's been very cold and I am horribly uncomfortable. It's great allium soup weather here. I'll take some of your heatwave, please!
Roving is processed fleece. It is the stage before you spin it into yarn (wool is simply the name of the fleece type, so you can have alpaca, llama, (sheeps') wool, cashmere, etc), hence me dyeing it and spinning it. I use natural dyes that can be found in plants, such as onion skins, avocado stones or skins, eucalyptus bark and leaves, turmeric and so on.

To me someone who moves around a lot, roams (like an animal, sheep or similar) rather than roves.

And yes, end of February typically sees temperatures become more sensible, though autumn can be unpredictable, hitting high 30's (°C) or dropping to frosts or subzero often in the same day. But summer has officially arrived just in time for the public holiday (this time a Tuesday) for Australia Day. The next 5 or 6 days are all going to be hot with the middle 4 the hottest. Today was already 28°C by 10am. I'm hiding after eating the garden this morning (mostly to create damp areas of cooler soil for the chooks so we don't lose any over the heatwave. A little preparation saves lives. They can and do die from heat exhaustion or stress especially if they are frosty hardy breeds like mine. Mine have to be able to survive -10°C in winter and any degree of wind chill do I have larger breeds, but they are less able to survive hot weather, but water the soil so that there are cooler areas and they are fine. I've never lost one yet but know of plenty who have and usually in areas that are cooler than mine in the hot weather).

...and now I've got "The Roving Gambler" stuck in my head:

View: https://youtu.be/R96_TzKNYe0
Sadly not available...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom