The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Pistachio Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recipe - Aubergine Involtini with Broad Beans and Pistachio

I think the records are smashed - I count 45 entries.

The challenge closes in just under 2 hours as I write (midday UK time). To see current UK time look under my avatar.

I think the records are smashed - I count 45 entries.

The challenge closes in just under 2 hours as I write (midday UK time). To see current UK time look under my avatar.

With late last day entries, I count 47. It's a tough assignment, but as I posted yesterday, I have already started picking out a short list of runner ups. Did that short list get longer? I won't say.

With late last day entries, I count 47. It's a tough assignment, but as I posted yesterday, I have already started picking out a short list of runner ups. Did that short list get longer? I won't say.

No rush - take your time! I re-counted and its 46 which are tagged. Is there one 'untagged'?

OK. The Pistachio Nut Recipe Challenge is officially closed.

In the past challenges, judges made an effort to explain their criteria for judging and I suppose I should do likewise. I think that the idea of "That's what I'd make and eat." makes for a good tie breaker. But to me, a challenge should invest some imagination and creativity along the way to producing a good end production. That's important to me to see that in recipes, but I fully realize that its easy to start with a recipe for something and alter it a bit to include the challenge ingredient. I have no way of being biased against that, nor can I truly ascertain differences in simplicity or complexity. A complex recipe can sometimes be overkill. So, it really is a difficult thing to judge all these recipes.

First, let me give everybody who participated a 'Bravo'. The recipes were all interesting and enticing. There's no doubt that whether members are novice, amateur or professional, there's some real cooking genius and mad hatter love of cooking going on at CookingBites. Bravo!

47 Recipes, plus about 5 more that I didn't enter, because I am judging. Whew! I can understand why TastyReuben commented that he did not want to be a judge. I should make his entry my pick just to prank him!

I whittled the 47 down to 8, in alphabetical order ....

Aubergine Involtini with Broad Beans and Pistachio by Morning Glory
Beef Roulade - with Pistachio, Prosciutto and Figs by murphyscreek
Flaming Towers by Hemulen
Noodles with Beef and Pistachios by Hemulen
Pistachio Baklava by The Late Night Gourmet
Pistachio and Smoked Salmon Stuffed Radicchio Leaves by MypinchofItaly
Potato-free Gnochi with Pistachio Flour by MypinchofItaly
Spiced Pear and Pistachio Tart by Morning Glory

Picking the top recipe from those eight was even harder still.

But I finally resolved on ...

Congratulations to Morning Glory

OK. The Pistachio Nut Recipe Challenge is officially closed.

In the past challenges, judges made an effort to explain their criteria for judging and I suppose I should do likewise. I think that the idea of "That's what I'd make and eat." makes for a good tie breaker. But to me, a challenge should invest some imagination and creativity along the way to producing a good end production. That's important to me to see that in recipes, but I fully realize that its easy to start with a recipe for something and alter it a bit to include the challenge ingredient. I have no way of being biased against that, nor can I truly ascertain differences in simplicity or complexity. A complex recipe can sometimes be overkill. So, it really is a difficult thing to judge all these recipes.

First, let me give everybody who participated a 'Bravo'. The recipes were all interesting and enticing. There's no doubt that whether members are novice, amateur or professional, there's some real cooking genius and mad hatter love of cooking going on at CookingBites. Bravo!

47 Recipes, plus about 5 more that I didn't enter, because I am judging. Whew! I can understand why TastyReuben commented that he did not want to be a judge. I should make his entry my pick just to prank him!

I whittled the 47 down to 8, in alphabetical order ....

Aubergine Involtini with Broad Beans and Pistachio by Morning Glory
Beef Roulade - with Pistachio, Prosciutto and Figs by murphyscreek
Flaming Towers by Hemulen
Noodles with Beef and Pistachios by Hemulen
Pistachio Baklava by The Late Night Gourmet
Pistachio and Smoked Salmon Stuffed Radicchio Leaves by MypinchofItaly
Potato-free Gnochi with Pistachio Flour by MypinchofItaly

Picking the top recipe from those eight was even harder still.

But I finally resolved on ...

Congratulations to Morning Glory

Oh no! I didn't expect that but I humbly thank you. I hate being judge by the way. :ohmy:

Oh no! I didn't expect that but I humbly thank you. I hate being judge by the way. :ohmy:
I noticed that you posted your first recipe to the challenge earlier today, and I realized what was missing from the challenge until then: no recipes from you! :laugh: Then, you followed up with 2 more, all of them excellent. Did you really do all 3 last night, or were they done and you waited to post them?

I noticed that you posted your first recipe to the challenge earlier today, and I realized what was missing from the challenge until then: no recipes from you! :laugh: Then, you followed up with 2 more, all of them excellent. Did you really do all 3 last night, or were they done and you waited to post them?

Odd enough, I thought the same :laugh:

If you go back to the previous challenge, I noted that Morning Glory saved up her recipes and posted them near the end of that challenge too. It may be her way of trying to eek by without getting picked and wind up being a judge, while participating in what is a creative and fun activity. But she's good and this time, although she says she hates being a judge, she's got the duty. :okay:

I can't wait to hear what she'll pick for the next challenge ingredient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom