The CookingBites recipe challenge: poultry

Status
Not open for further replies.
JAS_OH1
A while back someone commented on a judging technique. I forgot who, maybe caseydog or Yorky . Anyway - review 2 recipes - put one in your keep box, discard the other. Read another recipe. Compare to the one in your keep box. Discard one, keep the other. Continue reviewing the recipes - always keeping one and discarding one. When you are done you will have one recipe in your keep box.
Having judged more than once I appreciate the simplicity of the keep one discard one system. It is mind boggling to compare large numbers of recipes.
Good luck to you. Don't stay up too late.

I'm a nerd, so when I did it, I kept a spreadsheet with columns for presentation, looks tasty, originality, practicality, use of the ingredient, likelihood I would make it, etc. and scored them out of 5 and each recipe had a total as well as some qualitative comments. I did this as each recipe came in so I could keep on top of it. Once I'd reviewed each recipe I marked it with a 'Like' so the contestant knew I'd read it. If anyone wants that spreadsheet...

Just wondering how the winner is picked. Do the finalists get prepared and consumed? just curious, thanks.

Realistically it would be utterly impossible for all the entries to be made and tested - its a fun forum challenge and to be honest it shouldn't be taken too seriously as a challenge. Occasionally judges have made some of the recipes, but not usually. There are no judging criteria really - its entirely up to the judge to pick the dish which most appeals to them using whatever criteria they choose!

Congratulations Mountain Cat. Your winning dish was right at the top of my favourite entries. Its a lovely recipe.

Its now over to you to choose the next ingredient and become judge for the next round. As usual, its best to choose an ingredient which is fairly accessible in all our various countries. It doesn't matter if you choose an ingredient which has gone before so long as it wasn't too recently. A list of all ingredients chosen is here in date order and here in alphabetical order.

If you want to you can 'float' an idea for the next ingredient in this thread or if in doubt PM me.

Well done Mountain Cat , great looking dish.

On the "discard one" judging technique. It is a method I utilised in the past... it's a good way not to get overwhelmed. But I agree with what others have said, choices can be quite subjective, and can come down to just what might appeal at that point in time, but could easily change at a different point in time.

Anyway - review 2 recipes - put one in your keep box, discard the other. Read another recipe. Compare to the one in your keep box. Discard one, keep the other. Continue reviewing the recipes - always keeping one and discarding one. When you are done you will have one recipe in your keep box.
That's the method I use.

Judging...I just don't like picking winners, because that means I'm picking losers, and it's all subjective, anyway, so it can be a little difficult.

I'll likely use the method of comparing two recipes (with modifications), but if both are pretty close in my mind, I'll keep both of them until the end. These best will go into a separate "bucket". Then consider the three or four or six still in the running, together. Because I know on any given day, something may just marginally weigh out another, but on the next, it may go the other way. This will also keep the potential of the familiarity of a first recipe or so from losing out since I might potentially be comparing against it day after day.

I will follow the thoughts of a previous judge and not comment or react to given recipes until I go to judge.

Got a pretty good idea what I'll be picking as the ingredient. Hasn't been used since 2017.

Congrats, Mountain Cat! I loved your winning recipe, too.
kissatanssi.gif
kissa.PNG

Image on the right by Aleksandr Osipov (partial image).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom