The CookingBites recipe challenge: poultry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guinea fowl - I tried to hatch 4 eggs a neighbor gave me. One hatched, but as he/she had something akin to hip dysplasia, I had to put that one down at about 10 days. (I do want to raise them - not for meat, but for the fact they LOVE to yummy up ticks left and right. Ticks carry too many nasty diseases...)

Its fairly easy to buy guinea fowl in supermarkets here. So... as I don't think I've ever posted a guinea fowl recipe here, now could be the time!

Was FIL impressed? Did you have to clean the birds, too? How fowl, lol. I'd eat only fish if I had to butcher whole animals. I'm not cut out for that! Kudos to those of you who don't get squeamish over that.
Yes, he was (or at least he said he was), and no, my MIL had cleaned them, but I would have been fine doing it. I've butchered and cleaned hundreds of chickens.

Guinea fowl - I tried to hatch 4 eggs a neighbor gave me.
My maternal grandparents kept guineas, though they never ate them. They kept them as watch...birds. Noisiest things around, and they gobble at the slightest disturbance.

Yes, he was (or at least he said he was), and no, my MIL had cleaned them, but I would have been fine doing it. I've butchered and cleaned hundreds of chickens.

My maternal grandparents kept guineas, though they never ate them. They kept them as watch...birds. Noisiest things around, and they gobble at the slightest disturbance.
Not as noisy as a rooster with time perception issues.

I love cornish game hen, too. I will see if I can make a recipe with that for this challenge. BTW, did you know many or most cornish game hens aren't actually HENS? In fact, by definition, a true hen has to be old enough to lay eggs, which these aren't. And probably about half of them are cockerels.

At any rate, I have some chicken recipes in mind, and I do have duck in my freezer. And quail outside.

As far as pheasant goes, I've eaten it a couple of times. I like it (well, the one recipe - the other one was shot with buckshot - Dad used to hunt, and he brought some home for dinner - thing was he made a stew with peppercorns. Pretty much the same size as the buckshot. You didn't know what you were about to run into - lead or pepper. THAT recipe was from my standpoint an epic fail.

I am very unlikely to run into pheasant, emu or ostrich. I have had ostrich dining out - back in New Orleans in the 90s. Tasted like a very lean but very tender and flavorful steak. Emu is completely unknown to me.

Your dad shot birds with buckshot? :scratchhead:Kinda' overkill -- literally.

The best thing about the ducks I shot going into gumbo is all the steel shot ended up in the bottom of the pot.

Right now, the only birds in season in North Texas are Dove, Canada Goose, Teal... and Snipe.

CD

Your dad shot birds with buckshot? :scratchhead:Kinda' overkill -- literally.

The best thing about the ducks I shot going into gumbo is all the steel shot ended up in the bottom of the pot.

Right now, the only birds in season in North Texas are Dove, Canada Goose, Teal... and Snipe.

CD
Yes, he did. Unfortunately I never did get around to ask him why. Maybe buckshot was the only thing he had to hand on that hunting expedition. (He went with friends of his so I don't truly understand why they didn't provide him with better shot for a bird.)

Most of the buckshot lodged into the muscles of the birds.

I have a cookbook with a recipe for grilled rat, skunk, and squirrel. It's in my hunger games fan cookbook :laugh:
Wow. I've eaten (and love) squirrel, but no true interest in cooking the others.

Not entering this chicken jerky as a recipe...it's basically the same as the beef jerky recipe I posted previously. But, I will be gnawing on them while I think about different poultry recipes.

aaac1227-a9d2-4662-a02f-1f6545036ced-jpeg.jpg

94a823b8-62de-4caa-a801-15f73443002e-jpeg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom