The CookingBites recipe challenge: poultry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Understood. Hence, no goose recipe here (nor guinea fowl). A friend and I keep talking about making Christmas goose each December, but the price for that is exorbitant!

I'm likely sticking with chicken and quail. Although since I already have duck in the freezer - who knows? Turkey is possible, but it would only be the most tasty part of that bird (which is actually inexpensive). Ie, the thighs.
Love it, I know it will be superb! I am so excited to see what everyone does with this challenge!

I find Cornish game hens delectable as well, sorry to hear you don't. What is it about them you don't like, just curious?

Cornish game hens are too damn small. I probably would be happy with quail or doves, etc. for the same reasons. Similarly, I'm not a big fan of buffalo wings. I'd rather have a drumstick or a thigh.

Cornish game hens are too damn small. I probably would be happy with quail or doves, etc. for the same reasons. Similarly, I'm not a big fan of buffalo wings. I'd rather have a drumstick or a thigh.
The beauty of most birds is that they are so versatile. I know plenty of people who find chicken wings too small, and they make Buffalo drumsticks instead. They taste pretty close to the same. Yeah, the meat is darker than a wing, but the flavor is about the same. In fact, the drumsticks are probably better since dark meat doesn't tend to dry out as much as white.

But thanks for your explanation as to why you don't like game hens, it's not that you don't like the flavor, it's that you don't like the portion size. May I suggest preparing two instead of just one? I like them stuffed with wild rice stuffing the way my mum used to make them but I am open to some new ideas.

The beauty of most birds is that they are so versatile. I know plenty of people who find chicken wings too small, and they make Buffalo drumsticks instead. They taste pretty close to the same. Yeah, the meat is darker than a wing, but the flavor is about the same. In fact, the drumsticks are probably better since dark meat doesn't tend to dry out as much as white.

But thanks for your explanation as to why you don't like game hens, it's not that you don't like the flavor, it's that you don't like the portion size. May I suggest preparing two instead of just one? I like them stuffed with wild rice stuffing the way my mum used to make them but I am open to some new ideas.

It's not a matter of serving size. With a small bird, you get less meat and more bone.

It's not a matter of serving size. With a small bird, you get less meat and more bone.
That probably depends on the age and breed of bird. I know that older turkeys have more meat to bone ratio than younger ones, but the younger birds are more tender.

Dove, of course, are much, much smaller than game hens. I find game hens that are about 1-2 pounds each at the grocery store.

But to each their own, if you prefer a larger bird than by all means, who I am to tell you differently?

I'll have some mead with that, please, and I will stuff my hubby with a pillowcase around his middle and adorn him in 16th century garb like Henry the VIII as we stroll around arm-in-arm at the Renaissance Festival. We did that once, it was actually a lot of fun. I had my bosom pushed up quite provocatively in my tavern wench costume, LOL.
Aye it was fun, and my wife also got a corset same time as I got my kilt. I'd like to think my smoked turkey legs are better than the fair's but i'd be happy enough to call it a draw :-D

For your amusement, I give you Festival-Style Smoked Turkey Legs:
View: https://youtu.be/VJ48ye6Hftk

Actual cooking starts at 1:30 if you want to skip my rambling introduction.
I'm not including this as a challenge entry because I feel that the use of a dry rub recipe from a recipe book detracts from the originality. I'll think of something else for the challenge.

This is a really great video, and a great recipe. Even though you aren't entering this in the contest, please enter it in the Recipes section so we can look it up. I haven't used anything with a dry rub in my smoker, but this is a terrific guide that will help me change that.

By the way, that background song is stuck in my head now. :laugh:

This is a really great video, and a great recipe. Even though you aren't entering this in the contest, please enter it in the Recipes section so we can look it up. I haven't used anything with a dry rub in my smoker, but this is a terrific guide that will help me change that.

Will do!

I'm not including this as a challenge entry because I feel that the use of a dry rub recipe from a recipe book detracts from the originality. I'll think of something else for the challenge.
You should enter your recipe. What is the difference of using a cookbook rub recipe or a commercial rub or commercial seasoning mixes? I would love your rub recipe. please. Enter your Renaissance Smoked Turkey Leg recipe with a link to your poultry rub recipe.

You haven't used a dry rub in your smoker? :eek:

Oh, you gotta' do that. It will give you a really good bark.

CD

We both love Cornish Hens. I buy Tyson. They average 2 lbs each. One will feed us both. Poultry/fowl bones are very light. The majority of the weight is from meat.
I have never eaten swan. Intriguing. I attended a food show for restaurateurs. I tasted Ostrich. It was a leg roast cooked medium rare like a prime beef roast. Amazing!! The texture of prime beef but a unique flavor. I returned to the booth numerous times for more.

JAS_OH1
Correct me if I am wrong - you are OK with wild birds. Wild ducks and doves.
I initially said poultry, which is really more indicative of domestic birds (what I'm used to eating), but yes, that's fine. I've never eaten wild fowl but if you can make it look nice and the recipe reads in an appealing way I am okay with it. I've heard wild birds can be strong flavored and gamey. It will be interesting to see how it's treated to counteract this.

Also, FYI hints to all: I am an extremely visual person. I love colour and I love pretty arrangements! I also love when more than one variation ends up on a plate or multiple recipes culminate in a final, so if you do multiple things that tie in together that's a beautiful thing, but not necessary to be considered exemplary. Oh, and I dislike sweet potatoes (LOLOLOL) but I won't count you off if they accidentally make it onto the plate. I'll pretend they didn't exist and they were just regular taters, unless you do some odd concoction that can't be erased from my mind...and if for some very weird reason you think you should put pickles on the plate: don't. Unless it is a fried bird breast with mustard and perhaps mayo with sliced dill pickles on a sandwich...I suppose that if the other parts of the dish are fantastic I will get over it, hahahahaha!

One more thing: I don't care for organ meats. Okay I am done with my hints :laugh:

I can't give you a total laundry list of my likes and dislikes, but I am thinking this is going to be such a fun adventure with lots of entries. Glad I don't have a lot going on for the next few weeks workwise (so far).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom