The CookingBites recipe challenge: poultry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:05 AM
Welcome to the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. The current challenge ingredient is poultry (chicken quail, turkey, duck, goose etc.) and JAS_OH1 is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe* using poultry or a vegetarian/vegan alternative, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Entries exceeding the limit will be disqualified.

Extended deadline: 1am Monday 18th October, UK time (GMT +1). Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

*recipes must be posted within the time frame of the current challenge.

Last edited:
I just bought some chicken legs and thighs, and I know I have a couple of favorite recipes I have that use those (one is leftover from the honey challenge). I've never made a duck or a goose. I've made pheasant once, and that was very good. Hmmmm...time to hit the cookbooks... 🤔 :chicken:

Technically, I'm not sure if pheasant counts as poultry as its not reared in captivity. But that would be up to the judge.
Yeah I know nothing about pheasant. I don't really care, but it's not likely something I would eat so I don't think anyone should bother entering it, lol.

But I just reread TastyReuben's post and he said it was very good, so maybe I would try it.

Last edited:
In culinary terms pheasant counts as poultry.
Here's a list of my school:
Chicken, poussin, cock, duck, goose, guinea fowl, turkey, pheasant, partridge, wild duck, quail. Ostrich isn't listed, because we germans don't eat enough, but when you ask a chef it's poultry. Guinea fowl, partridge and pheasants are delicacies and very expensive ( about 40€ per kilo)

Yeah I know nothing about pheasant. I don't really care, but it's not likely something I would eat so I don't think anyone should bother entering it, lol.

But I just reread TastyReuben's post and he said it was very good, so maybe I would try it.
It's just a very pretty wild chicken. :laugh:

My FIL was a dedicated pheasant hunter, and was privileged to have a good number on his own property. After it became evident I wasn't going anywhere any time soon, he invited me on a pheasant shoot, which I declined, though I jokingly offered to cook whatever he came back with, as everyone in the family knew that I liked to cook.

I should point out, my culinary skills really were in their infancy at that time, having just begun to progress beyond boxed meals, like Hamburger Helper.

A couple of weeks later, he'd gone shooting, came back to the house with the dogs, and threw a few pheasants up on the table and said, "Do something with these, why dontcha!"

The following weekend, I made roasted pheasant in Cumberland sauce, from a recipe I found in an Emeril Lagasse cookbook I checked out from the library (pre-internet days). It was probably the first "serious" dish I ever prepared.

It's just a very pretty wild chicken. :laugh:

My FIL was a dedicated pheasant hunter, and was privileged to have a good number on his own property. After it became evident I wasn't going anywhere any time soon, he invited me on a pheasant shoot, which I declined, though I jokingly offered to cook whatever he came back with, as everyone in the family knew that I liked to cook.

I should point out, my culinary skills really were in their infancy at that time, having just begun to progress beyond boxed meals, like Hamburger Helper.

A couple of weeks later, he'd gone shooting, came back to the house with the dogs, and threw a few pheasants up on the table and said, "Do something with these, why dontcha!"

The following weekend, I made roasted pheasant in Cumberland sauce, from a recipe I found in an Emeril Lagasse cookbook I checked out from the library (pre-internet days). It was probably the first "serious" dish I ever prepared.
Was FIL impressed? Did you have to clean the birds, too? How fowl, lol. I'd eat only fish if I had to butcher whole animals. I'm not cut out for that! Kudos to those of you who don't get squeamish over that.

Chicken, poussin, cock, duck, goose, guinea fowl, turkey, pheasant, partridge, wild duck, quail. Ostrich isn't listed, because we germans don't eat enough, but when you ask a chef it's poultry. Guinea fowl, partridge and pheasants are delicacies and very expensive ( about 40€ per kilo)
Hey, I'm "game" for any birds that people fly my way, even ones that don't fly like emu, ostrich, partridge, squab, duck, etc. Domestically raised would be preferable, though. I'm really great if it's just a chicken, honestly.

What's a pouissin?

Last edited:
Hey, I'm "game" for any birds that people fly my way, even ones that don't fly Emu, ostrich, partridge, squab, duck, etc. Domestically raised would be preferable, though. I'm really great if it's just a chicken, honestly.

What's a pouissin?

Poussin is more or less what you would call Cornish game hen. Here is one such I made earlier!

I love cornish game hen, too. I will see if I can make a recipe with that for this challenge. BTW, did you know many or most cornish game hens aren't actually HENS? In fact, by definition, a true hen has to be old enough to lay eggs, which these aren't. And probably about half of them are cockerels.

At any rate, I have some chicken recipes in mind, and I do have duck in my freezer. And quail outside.

As far as pheasant goes, I've eaten it a couple of times. I like it (well, the one recipe - the other one was shot with buckshot - Dad used to hunt, and he brought some home for dinner - thing was he made a stew with peppercorns. Pretty much the same size as the buckshot. You didn't know what you were about to run into - lead or pepper. THAT recipe was from my standpoint an epic fail.

I am very unlikely to run into pheasant, emu or ostrich. I have had ostrich dining out - back in New Orleans in the 90s. Tasted like a very lean but very tender and flavorful steak. Emu is completely unknown to me.

Guinea fowl - I tried to hatch 4 eggs a neighbor gave me. One hatched, but as he/she had something akin to hip dysplasia, I had to put that one down at about 10 days. (I do want to raise them - not for meat, but for the fact they LOVE to yummy up ticks left and right. Ticks carry too many nasty diseases...)

I love cornish game hen, too. I will see if I can make a recipe with that for this challenge. BTW, did you know many or most cornish game hens aren't actually HENS? In fact, by definition, a true hen has to be old enough to lay eggs, which these aren't. And probably about half of them are cockerels.

At any rate, I have some chicken recipes in mind, and I do have duck in my freezer. And quail outside.

As far as pheasant goes, I've eaten it a couple of times. I like it (well, the one recipe - the other one was shot with buckshot - Dad used to hunt, and he brought some home for dinner - thing was he made a stew with peppercorns. Pretty much the same size as the buckshot. You didn't know what you were about to run into - lead or pepper. THAT recipe was from my standpoint an epic fail.

I am very unlikely to run into pheasant, emu or ostrich. I have had ostrich dining out - back in New Orleans in the 90s. Tasted like a very lean but very tender and flavorful steak. Emu is completely unknown to me.
I'm guessing they are simlar, but not sure. There are ostrich farms here in Ohio but I've only seem emus on TV and at the zoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom