The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Puff Pastry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:34 PM
Welcome to the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. The current challenge ingredient is puff pastry and Hemulen is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe using puff pastry as a new thread, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. You can use ready made or home made puff pastry. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge.

New extended deadline: 12.00 midday Monday 9th November UK time (GMT). Challenge rules and a list of previous winners and ingredients can be found here.

Last edited:
Yay! A challenge I can participate in.

Puff pastry feta & onion pie

I will make a puff pastry & apple treat later this month!

Last edited:
Mod request, technically I believe this is a form of puff pastry as it has layers and it puffs. Ruling please. Recipe - Croatian Apple Strudel with Whizzed almonds and sultanas.

I would say that is filo, not puff pastry, but would happily be corrected by someone who knows more about pastry than I.

I'd say that its filo. Puff pastry is pastry which is laminated by layers of butter (or other solid fat). Ultimately it is up to the judge Hemulen whether to include the type of pastry you feature Burt Blank.

View attachment 48474
Mod request, technically I believe this is a form of puff pastry as it has layers and it puffs. Ruling please. Recipe - Croatian Apple Strudel with Whizzed almonds and sultanas.
(Edit)
Burt Blank, I love your entry 💗 but I first wrote "not filo or phyllo" in the challenge anouncement (and removed the text as I thought it would be clear anyway). Filo dough was the main ingredient in a CookingBites 2018 recipe challenge, so I'd like to target this challenge on fatty puff pastry dough. The main difference between filo and puff pastry is thickness. Filo dough also isn't fatty in itself as opposed to puff pastry. Filo is paper thin and dry, puff pastry is fatty, thicker and prone to rise much more than filo in the oven; thus the name "puff". I should have been more precise in the assignment and left the "not filo or phyllo" adjustment visible. My apologies, Burt. I hope you're ok with my decision.

Last edited:
Burt Blank, I love your entry 💗 but I first wrote "not filo" in the challenge anouncement (and removed the text as I thought it would be clear anyway). Filo dough was the main ingredient in a CookingBites 2018 recipe challenge, so I'd like to target this challenge on fatty puff pastry dough. The main difference between filo and puff pastry is thickness. Filo dough also isn't fatty in itself as opposed to puff pastry. Filo is paper thin and dry, puff pastry is fatty, thicker and prone to rise much more than filo in the oven; thus the name "puff". I should have been more precise in the assignment and left the "not filo" adjustment visible. My apologies, Burt. I hope you're ok with my decision.

Could you be referring to what I call Phyllo - How to Work with Phyllo Pastry | Clifford A. Wright's Cooking Tips

Yes indeed, Yorky. There are two types of spelling as seen in e.g. Wikipedia. Filo = Phyllo. I use the former "filo" as it is customary in Finland and translated downright. I'll edit my previous post :wave:.

As of puff pastry: In Finland, a thicker puff pastry containing butter is called "voitaikina" (= butter dough), a slightly thinner and lighter dough made with margarine is "lehtitaikina" (= leaf dough) and a thicker margarine-based dough is simply "torttutaikina" (= pastry dough). Butter or pastry dough is commonly used in Christmassy star pastries ("tähtitorttu") with plum jam.

tähtitorttu.jpg

Photo of "tähtitorttu"

Two other typical puff pastry dishes in Finland are salmon and minced meat pie, the filling often mixed with rice, covered thoroughly with dough and brushed with egg like Yorky's Cornish Pasties.

Just for the record, I'm not a sugarcat but I can't resist puff pastries filled with vanilla curd and almond paste (Danish pastries or wieners), raspberries, strawberries or blueberries and covered with glazing and the thinnest layer of icing sugar - not a dense frosting. In Finland, a sweet pastry made with puff dough is called "viineri" (from Danish). They are sold everywhere: in supermarkets, cornerstores, cafés and bakeries and at gas stations. E.g. our Estonian neighbors can't undestand this as their "wieners" are tiny hotdog sausages (frankfurters) like in the US.

mansikkaviineri.JPG

Photo source

Last edited:
(Edit)
Burt Blank, I love your entry 💗 but I first wrote "not filo or phyllo" in the challenge anouncement (and removed the text as I thought it would be clear anyway). Filo dough was the main ingredient in a CookingBites 2018 recipe challenge, so I'd like to target this challenge on fatty puff pastry dough. The main difference between filo and puff pastry is thickness. Filo dough also isn't fatty in itself as opposed to puff pastry. Filo is paper thin and dry, puff pastry is fatty, thicker and prone to rise much more than filo in the oven; thus the name "puff". I should have been more precise in the assignment and left the "not filo or phyllo" adjustment visible. My apologies, Burt. I hope you're ok with my decision.
I got out my old notes from when I did the two patisserie courses in Paris back in the day.
There are four commonly known types of puff pastry—'half,' 'three-quarter,' 'full' and 'inverted puff. The terms describe the amount of fat to the weight of flour. 'Full' denotes equal weights of fat and flour, 'three-quarter' means three-quarter of the weight of the fat to the flour, etc. Puff pastry is the simplest form of laminated dough, with just butter folded into a basic dough of flour, water, and salt. Laminated dough is a culinary preparation consisting of many thin layers of dough separated by butter, produced by repeated folding and rolling.
Our dough is Flour , Water and Salt. We use melted butter between the layers..
Homemade Phyllo (or Filo) Dough. I of course will abide by your decision. :angelic:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_OZgc5m9LE&ab_channel=BrunoAlbouze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom