The CookingBites recipe challenge: quinoa

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I picked the ingredient, I chose quinoa because I saw on the list of previous challenges that there were no "Q" foods, and quinoa immediately popped into my head since it's something we quite like around our house. But I am overwhelmed and astonished by the creativity with these recipes that went above and beyond the typical.

It wasn't easy to come to a decision. These challenges are so subjective due to the individual food preferences of the judge, with likes and dislikes of certain ingredients, and without the challenge entrants being mind readers, how can they possibly know if the judge has particular ingredients that they absolutely don't like? But that being said, any judge can figure out that substitutions can be made to recipes in most cases to tailor to those individual tastes.

I think I probably had 8 entries that were tied for first place and several more that were close seconds. Just about everything that was posted is something I would eat (with a few minor substitutions here and there). But, as other judges before me have noted, it all comes down to what the judge keeps coming back to over and over again. And of course there can only be one winner.

By a very narrow margin, caseydog wins with the Recipe - Quinoa Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise Sauce.

I am so sorry I couldn't pick the other 7 first-place recipes that were a tie in my mind. Everyone who posted recipes did such a fabulous job and you are all creative geniuses, thank you to all of our CB forum members who took so much time and trouble to embrace your inner quinoa lover!

Nobody has to be a vegan or vegetarian and give up meat to eat quinoa, it makes a great side dish (and apparently can be used in a main entree quite successfully as well). As we grow older, many of us need more protein to maintain lean muscle and structural integrity and sometimes meat products just aren't enough to do the trick without clogging up our blood vessels, so plant-based proteins are a great alternative.

And caseydog, I am glad you decided you like quinoa. Congratulations and good luck with being the judge for the next challenge!

I don't enter the comps, just not interested in entering, but I do look at the entries to try and get ideas.
Btw I also picked caseydog entry as well, and the fact he enjoyed it and from start to finish.

Russ

Congratulations caseydog!

Its over to you to choose the next ingredient. As usual, its best to choose something that is fairly accessible in most of our countries. Ingredients chosen before can be found here in alphabetical order here in date order. It doesn't matter if you choose an ingredient which has gone before as long as it isn't too recently.

Here is what I am thinking for the new ingredient.

Cheddar cheese, commonly known as just cheddar, is a relatively hard, off-white (or orange if colourings such as annatto are added), sometimes sharp-tasting, natural cheese. Originating in the English village of Cheddar in Somerset,[1] cheeses of this style are now produced all over the world.

Cheddar is the most popular type of cheese in the UK, accounting for 51% of the country's £1.9 billion annual cheese market.[2] It is the second-most popular cheese in the US behind mozzarella, with an average annual consumption of 10 lb (4.5 kg) per capita.[3] The US produced approximately 3,000,000,000 lb (1,300,000 long tons; 1,400,000 tonnes) of cheddar cheese in 2014,[4] and the UK produced 258,000 long tons (262,000 tonnes) in 2008.[5]
-- Wikipedia

Please give your feedback before Morning Glory makes it official.

CD

Here is what I am thinking for the new ingredient.

Cheddar cheese, commonly known as just cheddar, is a relatively hard, off-white (or orange if colourings such as annatto are added), sometimes sharp-tasting, natural cheese. Originating in the English village of Cheddar in Somerset,[1] cheeses of this style are now produced all over the world.

Cheddar is the most popular type of cheese in the UK, accounting for 51% of the country's £1.9 billion annual cheese market.[2] It is the second-most popular cheese in the US behind mozzarella, with an average annual consumption of 10 lb (4.5 kg) per capita.[3] The US produced approximately 3,000,000,000 lb (1,300,000 long tons; 1,400,000 tonnes) of cheddar cheese in 2014,[4] and the UK produced 258,000 long tons (262,000 tonnes) in 2008.[5]
-- Wikipedia

Please give your feedback before Morning Glory makes it official.

CD

No problem here in the UK (obviously!). Well, the only problem is me getting around to cooking and photographing again. I've had a number of mishaps/health issues which have meant I really can't spend a lot of time on my feet. I'm hoping things will improve shortly.

I always have Cheddar in the fridge (usually extra strong).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom