The CookingBites recipe challenge: root vegetables

Ok, I’ve got the next ingredient chosen. This may seem a little odd at first, but give it a thought and a chance, and I know the members here, creative cooks that you are, can give this ingredient a good wobble (yes, that’s a shameless hint).

My ingredient choice for the next challenge is…gelatin/gelatine! Of course, any suitable veg* alternative is allowed and encouraged.

Gelatin appears in more things than we give it credit for, both as a quiet little supporter, and as the featured player. It works with savory and sweet items; main course, side, or dessert. Why, there’s a whole sub-genre of ridiculously spectacular retro jello salads from the ‘50’s and ‘60’s that are just crying out to be remembered.

Along with the unflavored stuff, I’ll say it’s also just fine to use a pre-flavored jello/jelly mix (however you identify it in your area). I may even make one or two myself along the way, as I have two boxes of that stuff in my cupboard now that I need to use.

Be wild! Be creative! Get jiggly with it! Most of all, let’s have some fun, cooking with gelatin!

...why the sad face in response to the choice of gelatine JAS_OH1? Its versatile and can be used in all sorts of dishes that I probably haven't yet thought of. Don't be set in your ways! :giggle:
If I'm narrow-minded a bit about some foods, hubby is x10. I'm not likely to make it because even if i can think of something edible, no way will he eat it. Cooking for one? Not likely.

If I'm narrow-minded a bit about some foods, hubby is x10. I'm not likely to make it because even if i can think of something edible, no way will he eat it. Cooking for one? Not likely.

I cook for one all the time. But y'know you don't need to tell him what's in the dish. Maybe he has no sweet tooth but as I mentioned in the new thread, a panne cotta (for example) is a beautiful thing.

Congratulations, TR! I drooled over your glazed carrots, too. Well done! Thanks, Morning Glory, for your uplifting words regarding my weird herring substitute recipe.
carrot.gif

Back
Top Bottom