The CookingBites recipe challenge: root vegetables

Hey, are people peeling parsnips, turnip, and carrots? I typically peel my carrots but I have never cooked or eaten a turnip or parsnip before so I don't know if I need to do that or not.
I've never peeled parsnips or carrots. We don't really eat turnips or swedes because hubby isn't that keen on them.

I've never peeled parsnips or carrots. We don't really eat turnips or swedes because hubby isn't that keen on them.
I find carrot peels bitter, or at least I did years ago when I began peeling them. I don't know diddly about parsnips, but I suppose I could cut off a piece and taste it to see if the peel on it seems bitter to me.

I find carrot peels bitter, or at least I did years ago when I began peeling them. I don't know diddly about parsnips, but I suppose I could cut off a piece and taste it to see if the peel on it seems bitter to me.
My experience with parsnips has been more towards avoiding the biggest ones because they go rough and woody inside which isn't nice. Peel wise I've never noticed an issue with carrots, and I come from a household where mum was one of those food fad mums. Nothing was peeled if the peel was edible.

I only peeled the potatoes on the recipe I made recently (along with the almonds) because potato peel in a cake didn't appeal to me. Usually even mashed potato would not be peeled in this house and both of us ignore any peel instructions in recipes. I have several that say to peel aubergine! No way. Guess I'm just used to making the most of as much add possible, plus a lot of these veg, the peel is where half or so of the vitamins and minerals are.

Sorry, no recipe. I just put this together as last night's supper, - naranja agria roasted boneless pork with root veggies, and mushrooms. The root veggies are potato, carrot and pearl onion. My home brew naranja agria made for a really nice zest to this meal.

I LOVE that photo! And the cutlery. ❤️😍❤️

Normally, putting a little ginger in something, I wouldn't submit that, but this is a ginger-prominent loaf. Ground ginger...minced fresh ginger...crystallized ginger - it's got all the gingers!
_115477964_gingers_kd_005-edit.jpg

My experience with parsnips has been more towards avoiding the biggest ones because they go rough and woody inside which isn't nice. Peel wise I've never noticed an issue with carrots, and I come from a household where mum was one of those food fad mums. Nothing was peeled if the peel was edible.

I only peeled the potatoes on the recipe I made recently (along with the almonds) because potato peel in a cake didn't appeal to me. Usually even mashed potato would not be peeled in this house and both of us ignore any peel instructions in recipes. I have several that say to peel aubergine! No way. Guess I'm just used to making the most of as much add possible, plus a lot of these veg, the peel is where half or so of the vitamins and minerals are.
I like the peel on potaties, especially red potatoes. I'm not an eggplant fan so no idea about the peel.

My parsnips are small.

Recipe - Roasted root vegetables and chicken thighs with lemon-tarragon cream sauce

This was really, really good! Hubby was skeptical about all the root vegetables, as parsnips and turnips were something neither of us had ever eaten before. We both love parsnips for sure! The turnips were fine too, but the parsnips were probably my favorite out of the two. I loved the juicy chicken thighs with the crispy skin and the flavor they imparted into the vegetables was excellent. I made a lemon-tarragon cream sauce that gave an additional dimension of flavor, so wow!

Including the shallot I used in the sauce and the spring onion garnish, I used a total of 8 root vegetables in my dish!

Last edited:
I'm trying the Potato Cake again. This time with blueberries. I'm hoping they sink a little :whistling:

Now to start the meatloaf recipe that's also got various root veg in it and hopefully I'll meet the deadline.

V2 of the Potato Cake. This time vanilla & blueberry. I wanted to test a larger cake tin out. I actually got both the 9" and the 10" springform tins out, measured up for the 10" around the circumference for the baking parchment. Then scored the base of the tin to cut and didn't notice that I'd picked up the base for the 9"... so I baked it in the 9 inch tin. It did rise to the very top and a little bit further during baking but didn't spill over so I'm still thinking that a 10" tin might just be the best option but it is definitely better in the 9" that in the 8" tin.

Exceptionally nice it was.

And one final entry, double dipping as it were. Recipe - Meatless Meatloaf (Tempeh Meatloaf)

I spotted a meatless meatloaf recipe yesterday in a cookbook we don't use too much because some of the ingredient lists can be a bit vague. This is are of those vague ones that I've adapted & recorded my modifications.

All example or two...
½ bottle (16-18 ounces) great quality BBQ sauce or teriyaki style marinade.
¼ beet, grated
6 green beans, chopped into ⅛ inch pieces

Now 16-18 ounces (assuming fluid ounces) is about 500ml. So is that 500ml half of a 1 litre bottle or is the bottle 500ml and you want half? I went with 250ml.
The beetroot? What size? For the carrot, it says ½ a large carrot. Now most beetroot raw tend to be quite small in my experience, perhaps 5-7½cm diameter maximum. ¼ of one of those hardly seems worthwhile. Ditto with 6 green beans. So both were increased.

So I've changed the vegetable ratio in the loaf.

I'm really impressed that the loaf turned out in one on the first attempt. I had only run a plastic spatula around the outside, nothing more.

I'll add a final picture of it baked in the sauce in a couple of hours time. Just needed to sneak this in before the end of the challenge.

And a slice of it, before and after it's second baking which has worked really well.

Both of us are actually really surprised as to how tasty and nice this is even if there are red stains from the beetroot in it. I'm not certain if I'd include the beetroot again, I might sub it for potato instead. Provided that the total weight of veg remains the same, it should work with any grated root veg from swede, to parsnips, to tatties, etc.

Back
Top Bottom