The CookingBites recipe challenge: root vegetables

'Boot' most definitely. But how do I know how you pronounce boot?
Canadians (some) pronounce "about" like "a boot".

I know some people in Florida who say "rut" instead of "root". I pronounce "root" like "roo" as in kanga-"roo" with a "t" on the end.

Got my root vegetables today finally. Cooking tomorrow.

Hey, did somebody rootate my root vegetables photo?

Last edited:
That's on my list as well, I love it, but rarely make it, because the quality here is so poor.
I looked at celeriac today, but they were the size of my head. I really just wanted to make a dish with a little of this and a little of that, so a lot of that would go to waste.

Recipe - French Spice Bread (Pain d'Epices)

I believe this will be my last entry for this challenge.

Normally, putting a little ginger in something, I wouldn't submit that, but this is a ginger-prominent loaf. Ground ginger...minced fresh ginger...crystallized ginger - it's got all the gingers!

This is wonderful, delicious, pretty easy, and is just perfect to accompany a nice hot bev of your choice, especially on a cold day. It's pure comfort. Nice bite from the ginger, and the mace just pushes it up that much more, and that little hit of black pepper...it's a spicy one, that's for sure. I love the occasional chewy bit of the crystallized ginger. Harder than a raisin, but not much, and a great little flavor pop.

All that gets a good counterpoint from the honey, a full cup. As the song says, this has so much honey, the bees envy it. I can barely stomach working with raw honey, the smell, texture, and taste make me want to up my chucks, but I love it as an ingredient, and it's just beautiful here.

Note the unevenness along the bottom. Even though I used a lot of butter to grease the pan, there was still some sticking on the bottom. Next time, I'll fit a piece of parchment paper in there.

Recipe - French Spice Bread (Pain d'Epices)

I believe this will be my last entry for this challenge.

Normally, putting a little ginger in something, I wouldn't submit that, but this is a ginger-prominent loaf. Ground ginger...minced fresh ginger...crystallized ginger - it's got all the gingers!

This is wonderful, delicious, pretty easy, and is just perfect to accompany a nice hot bev of your choice, especially on a cold day. It's pure comfort. Nice bite from the ginger, and the mace just pushes it up that much more, and that little hit of black pepper...it's a spicy one, that's for sure. I love the occasional chewy bit of the crystallized ginger. Harder than a raisin, but not much, and a great little flavor pop.

All that gets a good counterpoint from the honey, a full cup. As the song says, this has so much honey, the bees envy it. I can barely stomach working with raw honey, the smell, texture, and taste make me want to up my chucks, but I love it as an ingredient, and it's just beautiful here.

Note the unevenness along the bottom. Even though I used a lot of butter to grease the pan, there was still some sticking on the bottom. Next time, I'll fit a piece of parchment paper in there.
yeah, but where's Mary Ann? 😁

yeah, but where's Mary Ann? 😁
In my heart…and my dirty, filthy thoughts. :laugh:

I betcha TastyReuben preferred Mary Ann over Ginger. He likes the wholesome type, methinks.
Its them “wholesome” ones ya gotta watch out for.

But yes, for my money, Dawn Wells was possibly the most beautiful person who’s ever lived. I’m sure I included her in the old celebrity crush topic we had a while back.

In my heart…and my dirty, filthy thoughts. :laugh:

Its them “wholesome” ones ya gotta watch out for.

But yes, for my money, Dawn Wells was possibly the most beautiful person who’s ever lived. I’m sure I included her in the old celebrity crush topic we had a while back.

Yes, she was one of the several dozen women on your celebrity crush list.

CD

Hey, are people peeling parsnips, turnip, and carrots? I typically peel my carrots but I have never cooked or eaten a turnip or parsnip before so I don't know if I need to do that or not.

Hey, are people peeling parsnips, turnip, and carrots? I typically peel my carrots but I have never cooked or eaten a turnip or parsnip before so I don't know if I need to do that or not.

I peeled my parsnips. I read two different opinions online. One side that the outer layer of parsnip has a distinct flavor, so you should just scrub the parsnip, not peel it. But other voices said to peel it.

CD

Last edited:
I think parsnips are like carrots and can go either way, but turnip peels are pretty thick and tough, IMO, so I always peel them.

I think parsnips are like carrots and can go either way, but turnip peels are pretty thick and tough, IMO, so I always peel them.

Parsnips I usually peel but not always. Carrots sometimes. I don't peel turnip usually - they have a pretty purple hue in the skin. Swede (rutabaga) I do peel. That does have a tough skin.

Parsnips I usually peel but not always. Carrots sometimes. I don't peel turnip usually - they have a pretty purple hue in the skin. Swede (rutabaga) I do peel. That does have a tough skin.

Yeah, when I first set my eyes on a rutabaga (swede), I knew that thing had to be peeled. They are pretty gnarly looking.

CD

Yeah, when I first set my eyes on a rutabaga (swede), I knew that thing had to be peeled. They are pretty gnarly looking.

CD
Yeah, the rutabagas at the market had spots on them that looked like mold, so I passed.

Back
Top Bottom