The CookingBites recipe challenge: root vegetables

I tried to comment on each recipe submitted in the recipe threads. I will say that there isn't a single recipe I wouldn't want to try. A great standard from everyone.

Here is my 'long list':

SatNavSaysStraightOn 's Meatless Meatloaf (Tempeh Meatloaf)
This meatless meatloaf is packed with vegetables and adding the accompanying sauces elevate it from ‘that looks good’ to ‘I must try this’!

JAS_OH1 's Roasted root vegetables and chicken thighs with lemon-tarragon cream sauce
I’m sold on the idea of this delicious lemony tarragon sauce with roasted roots.

karadekoolaid 's Potato & Tomato with Coconut
Indian food is always top of my list and this beautifully simple recipe is one I’ll be making.

Hemulen 's Vegan Black Currant Pickled Herring Substitute
Absolutely intriguing and innovative - and it looks dramatic too.

Timenspace 's Beet & celery soup
Absolute simplicity with two main root vegetables. The aniseed taste of celeriac and the sweet yet earthy taste of beetroot combine to produce this new take on borsht.

kaneohegirlinaz 's K~Girl's Namasu
A vibrant pickle with a Japanese influence. This pickle would go well with so many dishes.

TastyReuben 's Sticky Carrots w/ Whiskey & Ginger Glaze
I don’t even particularly like carrots but for some reason reading this recipe turned me into a hungry rabbit thinking, ‘oh my twitching whiskers, I must eat this!’

This is difficult. When it comes down to it I've got a straight tie between JAS_OH1 and TastyReuben for completely different reasons. In the end I'm choosing TastyReuben 's Sticky Carrots w/ Whiskey & Ginger Glaze. It keeps haunting me because I don't really like carrots but I love this recipe! Also, he hasn't won for exactly 2 years. Sorry JAS_OH1, there was nothing between you really.

So its over to you TastyReuben to choose the next ingredient and act as judge for the new round.

This is difficult. When it comes down to it I've got a straight tie between JAS_OH1 and TastyReuben for completely different reasons. In the end I'm choosing TastyReuben 's Sticky Carrots w/ Whiskey & Ginger Glaze. It keeps haunting me because I don't really like carrots but I love this recipe! Also, he hasn't won for exactly 2 years. Sorry JAS_OH1, there was nothing between you really.

So its over to you TastyReuben to choose the next ingredient and act as judge for the new round.
No apologies necessary, I was completely surprised to be tied or even in the top 3! There were so many other good ones. I don't think TR even knows yet, LOL!

I was planning on posting a recipe for Mulligan stew, but sorry, never got round to it.

One write up on the web describing Mulligan stew, claims it to be an Irish stew made from beef and vegetables, begged, scavenged, found or stolen. :laugh:

No apologies necessary, I was completely surprised to be tied or even in the top 3! There were so many other good ones. I don't think TR even knows yet, LOL!

I don't think he does. He won't be expecting it methinks.
I was planning on posting a recipe for Mulligan stew, but sorry, never got round to it.

Yeah - I noted we had no entries from you. But I know you were busy on other projects.

Well, that was unexpected. Appreciated, but unexpected. Thank you, MG, for your judging efforts, and thank you, everyone for the kind words. Just goes to show, a recipe doesn’t need to be fancy or “exotic” (whatever that means) to make an impression.

JAS_OH1 - it’s funny we tied, because I had yours down as the odds-on favorite!

I’m out and about at the moment, but I’ll get back with an ingredient later today.

Well, that was unexpected. Appreciated, but unexpected. Thank you, MG, for your judging efforts, and thank you, everyone for the kind words. Just goes to show, a recipe doesn’t need to be fancy or “exotic” (whatever that means) to make an impression.

JAS_OH1 - it’s funny we tied, because I had yours down as the odds-on favorite!

I’m out and about at the moment, but I’ll get back with an ingredient later today.
Yeah, I meant to comment before the judging commenced that I didn't believe just because I had 8 root vegetables that it really made a difference--more isn't always better, although they were all root vegetables that worked well together. But I knew that the lemon-tarragon cream sauce with the shallots and wine was amazing and I think MG wouldn't have put me in a tie with you if I hadn't made that sauce.

Also I still believe there were several dishes that were more worthy than mine.

And I know she is a sucker for ginger and whiskey, LOL. Should have made a companion cup of tea spiked with ginger garnish and a spot whiskey, LOL! But at any rate, congratulations again!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom