The CookingBites recipe challenge: root vegetables

So how does this challenge work? Do I post the recipe here (it's long) or just the photo?

Welcome to what I call Nabe Pockets, a variation on the Chinese/Japanese Hot Pot.

Each (Napa Cabbage) leaf is blanched before to make them pliable and the typical ingredients for the nabe are placed inside -- including our root vegetables (in these photos daikon and carrots but also sweet potatoes) -- and rolled. You cut them open and boil them in a pot with a broth like dashi.

Since each pocket is sealed, each pocket contains its own soup different from the soup it's cooked in. You can add a bit of miso or kim chi or soy milk or even seafood to each pocket for a variety of nabe in each pot. When an individual pocket is placed in the bowl and the broth is added, you have a new nabe.

View attachment 79871View attachment 79872
Hey there, nice looking dish! If you go back to the first page, it explains it much better than I can do and the rules and guidelines links are there, but basically what you do is post a new thread with your recipe, then come back to this thread and post the link to your recipe.
The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Rules and list of previous winners and ingredients

So, Morning Glory, it looks like you only have 14 entries (2 additional pending) and the challenge ends in 4 days (at around 7 a.m. EST, my time). I noted that the total time since the challenge began until the challenge closes is only 22 days. Are you keen at all on extending the deadline? I would love to enter something but I really don't want to go shopping tomorrow when the high is only 17F/-8C. I would much rather wait until Thursday when it will be significantly less cold, but with me being 5 hours behind you, that's cutting time rather short to get everything prepped/cooked/written up. If you can't do that, I understand.

So, @Morning Glory, it looks like you only have 14 entries (2 additional pending) and the challenge ends in 4 days (at around 7 a.m. EST, my time). I noted that the total time since the challenge began until the challenge closes is only 22 days

I'm happy to extend it. I don't really know why there are so few entries. The challenge always has a timespan of 3 weeks and for a long time now we have been getting 30 plus entries in that timespan. Maybe folk are frightened of me as judge! Maybe everyone has January blues?

I'll extend it a week and see what happens. :okay:

I'm happy to extend it. I don't really know why there are so few entries. The challenge always has a timespan of 3 weeks and for a long time now we have been getting 30 plus entries in that timespan. Maybe folk are frightened of me as judge! Maybe everyone has January blues?

I'll extend it a week and see what happens. :okay:
Thank you!

I think it's after holiday blues for sure, that and I usually am good for one or two but I've been sick. I think others have been getting back into work mode as well, The Late Night Gourmet was recovering from covid, is getting back into work mode, and juggling family life, plus several others had/have covid as well and other family members to care for while sick.

January blues indeed!

Beef and Root Vegetable Stew (recipe thread coming soon)

Slowly beer-braised beef, rutabaga, parsnip and carrot -- plus a little ground ginger for seasoning. Four root veggies. :dance:

It was my first experience with parsnips (that I can recall) and rutabaga. I liked them. Carrots... meh (not a carrot fan, myself). The broth was excellent -- very different than any stew broth I've ever had... in a very good way.

View attachment 79253

CD
But it's only been 12 days since you posted a photo of your entry with no recipe!

He'll have forgotten how he made it and even how it tasted by the time he gets around to writing it up. :laugh:

Ok tomorrow I retest for covid and since it will have been 2 weeks, I'll be clear to go the to the farmers market most likely. Problem is that its been so darned cold and snowy! The high today is 24F/-4C, tomorrow the high is only 17F/-8, and finally Thursday it will be 29F/-2, which would be my preferred day to go shopping. But the challenge ends Saturday, so I'm not sure I'll have enough time to shop, prep, cook and write up the recipe. Ah well.
Hope you get cleared.🍀

I tested positive today too. Mild ones luckily.
But do need rest.

Back
Top Bottom