The CookingBites recipe challenge: root vegetables

Recipe - Tapioca biscuits

Dry parsley I used only as decoration to sprinkle over. One may use anything else...

ab21d86e-0bf4-4e93-af46-1cbb5762f098-jpeg.jpg

Parsnip & Turnip Stew. Making this re-energized my love of cooking. If I can create something this delicious that’s so simple to make, what excuse do I have to not do it more often? And, this challenge made me realize that I have been neglecting root vegetables, and these two in particular. I'm glad I woke up in time to submit an entry.

Last edited:
This is a dish I´ve made hundreds of times. I love it; simple to make and simple spicing. The addition of the sugar and the vinegar at the end really lifts the flavour to another level.
If you can´t find fresh coconut (which is by far the best option) then use rehydrated coconut flakes. Decimated coconut is no good at all.
And yes, it´s only got ONE root vegetable in it, but that counts, right?:D
Potato & Tomato with Coconut

View attachment 79967

Parsnip & Turnip Stew. Making this re-energized my love of cooking. If I can create something this delicious that’s so simple to make, what excuse do I have to not do it more often? And, this challenge made me realize that I have been neglecting root vegetables, and these two in particular. I'm glad I woke up in time to submit an entry.
That looks soo nice! Real winter comfort food, or any season really...glad to read you back...well done.

I suspect this is going to get everyone thinking I've lost the plot, totally & utterly but it really does work and it is completely gluten free to boot.
There are a number of recipes out there that use a small quantity of mashed potato and plenty of flour which just didn't feel quite right for "an ingredient challenge", so I went with one that was almost all potato and a little almond flour/meal/ground almonds.
Retro Recipe - Lemon Potato Cake

I'll apologise for overcooking it hence it collapsing a touch, it is still a surprisingly light and fluffy cake. It's not particulary sweet. In fact it is only slightly sweet and slightly lemony. I've added a sour* lemon drizzle to ours (* made using Meyer lemons & no sugar) to enhance the lemon flavour but you could easily add any fruit or even melted chocolate whilst making the cake if you so desired.

I suspect this is going to get everyone thinking I've lost the plot, totally & utterly but it really does work and it is completely gluten free to boot.
There are a number of recipes out there that use a small quantity of mashed potato and plenty of flour which just didn't feel quite right for "an ingredient challenge", so I went with one that was almost all potato and a little almond flour/meal/ground almonds.
Retro Recipe - Lemon Potato Cake

I'll apologise for overcooking it hence it collapsing a touch, it is still a surprisingly light and fluffy cake. It's not particulary sweet. In fact it is only slightly sweet and slightly lemony. I've added a sour* lemon drizzle to ours (* made using Meyer lemons & no sugar) to enhance the lemon flavour but you could easily add any fruit or even melted chocolate whilst making the cake if you so desired.
I love it for it's retro nature and unusual ingredients!

Back
Top Bottom