The CookingBites recipe challenge: root vegetables

Oh you tested positive too? Like my daughter. I am only reading it now. I hope you are ok and with small symptoms...🌺
Oh yes, it was January 12th. I was just very tired, dizzy, feverish and achy for a few days with sinus congestion and no appetite. I am still fatigued though but otherwise better.

Oh yes, it was January 12th. I was just very tired, dizzy, feverish and achy for a few days with sinus congestion and no appetite. I am still fatigued though but otherwise better.
I am glad you are getting better.
She had irritated throat, some runny nose, but minimal, and fever for a day, fatigue the other day. I hope that is it.
I had a bit of a soar throat, really a bit, hardly noticable this morning. I hope it is nothing.
Get some good rest🌾and get completely well.🍀

I am glad you are getting better.
She had irritated throat, some runny nose, but minimal, and fever for a day, fatigue the other day. I hope that is it.
I had a bit of a soar throat, really a bit, hardly noticable this morning. I hope it is nothing.
Get some good rest🌾and get completely well.🍀
Younger people usually have a easier time recuperating, you both will be fine. And I will eventually as well, no worries 😊.

I love root vegetables, but this time I just don't have the creative energy. Lets see about the next challenge 😊

I have had to dig up a lot of my past for a recent interview in a national news website, that has kept my mind occupied this month. It was published this weekend

I love root vegetables, but this time I just don't have the creative energy. Lets see about the next challenge 😊

I have had to dig up a lot of my past for a recent interview in a national news website, that has kept my mind occupied this month. It was published this weekend
How interesting!

I can send you the link in pm but it's written in Dutch so probably doesn't offer much
Well I figured it probably was not in English! But yes, I'm sure I could find a way to translate some of it, please do send the pm, thanks!

Ok tomorrow I retest for covid and since it will have been 2 weeks, I'll be clear to go the to the farmers market most likely. Problem is that its been so darned cold and snowy! The high today is 24F/-4C, tomorrow the high is only 17F/-8, and finally Thursday it will be 29F/-2, which would be my preferred day to go shopping. But the challenge ends Saturday, so I'm not sure I'll have enough time to shop, prep, cook and write up the recipe. Ah well.

I've been pretty low energy the past few weeks, haven't really yet had any creative ideas. Hoping they will come to me. Do potatoes count as root vegetables?
Hun, he is slower than molasses when it comes to writing up and submitting recipes (though I haven't been setting any speed records lately myself). But CD is much, much, much slower. In fact, he and The Late Night Gourmet have a contest going to see who can be the slowest at recipe write-up. And since neither of them do much else with their days :laugh::laugh::laugh: they have no excuse!

Of course just kidding around about they don't do much else, but not kidding about writing up and posting recipes. 🤣🤣🤣

Yeah...low energy here (or, low remaining energy, after I get done with everything that's been going on lately). I actually do have one that I am going to submit before the deadline. Will it be worth the wait? Probably not. But, it will be something I will like enough to maybe make again.

Ok tomorrow I retest for covid and since it will have been 2 weeks, I'll be clear to go the to the farmers market most likely. Problem is that its been so darned cold and snowy! The high today is 24F/-4C, tomorrow the high is only 17F/-8, and finally Thursday it will be 29F/-2, which would be my preferred day to go shopping. But the challenge ends Saturday, so I'm not sure I'll have enough time to shop, prep, cook and write up the recipe. Ah well.
Good luck on your test! :okay:

Good luck on your test! :okay:
I've been studying very hard, LOL!

Edited to add that one would think I would be sick of lying in bed/sleeping by now, but I am not. I get up, drink tea, drink coffee, make hubby breakfast--sometimes I am lucky enough to have an appetite to eat a little something and get something accomplished like cooking or dishes, shower, and then I am ready for bed again. Sometimes I am up a total of 8-10 hours or so before I am back in bed. I could go back to bed right now, but I am forcing myself to stay up. The sun is shining today and I want to vacuum, at least the kitchen, dining room, and hallways if nothing else.

TR laughed at my post before I edited it.

Last edited:
Yeah...low energy here (or, low remaining energy, after I get done with everything that's been going on lately). I actually do have one that I am going to submit before the deadline. Will it be worth the wait? Probably not. But, it will be something I will like enough to maybe make again.
:hug:

So how does this challenge work? Do I post the recipe here (it's long) or just the photo?

Welcome to what I call Nabe Pockets, a variation on the Chinese/Japanese Hot Pot.

Each (Napa Cabbage) leaf is blanched before to make them pliable and the typical ingredients for the nabe are placed inside -- including our root vegetables (in these photos daikon and carrots but also sweet potatoes) -- and rolled. You cut them open and boil them in a pot with a broth like dashi.

Since each pocket is sealed, each pocket contains its own soup different from the soup it's cooked in. You can add a bit of miso or kim chi or soy milk or even seafood to each pocket for a variety of nabe in each pot. When an individual pocket is placed in the bowl and the broth is added, you have a new nabe.

nabe pockets three, crop.png
nabe pockets  pan.png

Back
Top Bottom