The CookingBites recipe challenge: root vegetables

Parsnips here are somewhat baffling to me - most people I've asked have never eaten a parsnip, usually aren't even sure what one is ("that's that white carrot thingy, right?") and I more often than not (when I was going through a checkout with a cashier) would have to tell the cashier what it was, and yet, even my local rinky-dink Kroger has parsnips, and decent ones at that, so somebody other than me is eating them! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Parsnips here are somewhat baffling to me - most people I've asked have never eaten a parsnip, usually aren't even sure what one is ("that's that white carrot thingy, right?") and I more often than not (when I was going through a checkout with a cashier) would have to tell the cashier what it was, and yet, even my local rinky-dink Kroger has parsnips, and decent ones at that, so somebody other than me is eating them! 🤷🏻‍♂️
That´s where I bought them.
I´m sure there were people around me thinking:
"what´s he going to do with THAT?"
:D:D

There is a great rural farmer's market I'll be going to in about 10 days!

They're pretty tasty. Parsnip puree is delicious.

They have rather striking flowers but they don't like very cold temperatures. Plant in the spring, I think. Ginger generally keeps very well (you can keep it in the fridge). I only get rid of it if its literally shrivelled up.
It also freezes well. But you have to grate it frozen. Easiest way is to pregrate, freeze in ice cube trays, then bag and take out as needed.

ETA: I posted this before reading through the rest of the thread.

Last edited:
They're pretty tasty. Parsnip puree is delicious.

A quick search reveals I've 12 recipes with parsnips on the forum, several of which feature parsnip purée. Parsnips don't really taste like any other root vegetable. They have a sweetish taste but not in the same way that carrots do. In fact I'm not the hugest fan of carrots, but parsnips I love.

Here´s a nifty little starter that looks good and tastes good.
I actually made this for a lunch at home one day, basically because I had all the ingredients in the fridge, including half a packet of puff pastry that I wanted to use up.
It´s important to use soft goat cheese, rather than hard.
The blackberries for the coulis - in my case - were not strictly "blackberries" but a fruit that grows wild in my garden called "Mysore Raspberry". The Balsamic was added because I wanted a bit of sweet/sour to the sauce.
Beetroot Napoleon with Goat Cheese & Blackberry Coulis

Earwigho, again.
Morrocan style Root Vegetable Soup with Ras-al-Hanout
This recipe was originally for a lady who wanted to eat low-calorie soups, and she wanted everything blended to a cream.
I don´t know how low-calorie it is, and to be honest, it doesn´t bother me, but it is very tasty.
If you want to leave the root veggies whole, be my guest.
View attachment 79246

I do love root vegetable soups. 6 bonus points for including 6 root veg (7 if I count garlic)! I commented in the recipe thread.

Beef and Root Vegetable Stew (recipe thread coming soon)

Slowly beer-braised beef, rutabaga, parsnip and carrot -- plus a little ground ginger for seasoning. Four root veggies. :dance:

It was my first experience with parsnips (that I can recall) and rutabaga. I liked them. Carrots... meh (not a carrot fan, myself). The broth was excellent -- very different than any stew broth I've ever had... in a very good way.

View attachment 79253

CD
Dawg, did I miss the recipe for this gorgeous stew somewhere?

Back
Top Bottom