The CookingBites recipe challenge: root vegetables

Morning Glory

You may want to make it clear that onions, garlic and shallots are not root vegetables, although considered by some to be.

Check the root vegetable wiki.

In culinary terms I think they are normally regarded as root vegetables. At any rate, as judge I'm allowing them!

Just to add for those who are not excited by roots, you don't have to make a main course or side dish - it could be a starter or an 'amuse-bouche', bread, cake or a dessert.

In culinary terms I think they are normally regarded as root vegetables. At any rate, as judge I'm allowing them!

Just to add for those who are not excited by roots, you don't have to make a main course or side dish - it could be a starter or an 'amuse-bouche', bread, cake or a dessert.

Thank You. I like the whole idea of including the bulbs with the tubers, etc.

I stand challenged😄I stole this sentence from someone here,Jas I think.
Tomorrow is grocery shopping, so will keep an eye on roots.
It has been long since I took part in a cooking challenge.
Hopefully I can do it this time.🍀😊
Excellent! It'll be good seeing you back in a challenge! :okay:

...and ginger can flavor a whole host of cocktails... 🍸

I have to say that I love root vegetables. The first thing I bought when I came to Cinci was a pound of parsnips - which were roasted. Hadn´t tasted them for over 20 years! Then some beetroot. Then some carrots (I´ve got fond memories of carrot and turnip mash with butter and white pepper, from when I was young!)
In S. America there are several root veg not to be found up here; tiny yellow Colombian potatoes, for example, and a divine vegetable we call apio - arracacia in English - which looks a bit like a parsnip, tastes of celery, parsnip and swede all lumped together, and makes wonderful soup!

Things that interest me...celeriac, beets, turnips, and carrots, off the top of my head.

Ginger counts as a root veg, right? I have around a half-pound of ginger that I need to do something with, besides weigh down the trash, which is where they're headed shortly if I don't think of something soon.
Can't you plant some of it? I think it is fairly hardy.

They have rather striking flowers but they don't like very cold temperatures. Plant in the spring, I think. Ginger generally keeps very well (you can keep it in the fridge). I only get rid of it if its literally shrivelled up.
So do they go dormant in winter if planted in the ground and come back the next year? Or does extreme cold kill the root system? I was reading that they are not technically a root vegetable (though I know that they and others are allowed for this challenge) and are actually underground stems. I never knew that before.

Maybe with this challenge thread, I will get over my aversion to the word "beetroot." I don't understand, and can't explain why it grates on my nerves, but it does. I think I'm going to see the word a lot in this thread -- it'll be kind of like Clockwork Orange therapy.

At the center of my mental glitch with beetroot is that nobody calls carrots "carrotroot," or parsnips "pasniproot." Why beets? :scratchhead:

CD

So do they go dormant in winter if planted in the ground and come back the next year? Or does extreme cold kill the root system? I was reading that they are not technically a root vegetable (though I know that they and others are allowed for this challenge) and are actually underground stems. I never knew that before.

I don't know if they will over-winter. I have grown them in spring/summer. Maybe they would go dormant but if you plant then spring is best. They are technically rhizomes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom