The CookingBites recipe challenge: root vegetables

At the center of my mental glitch with beetroot is that nobody calls carrots "carrotroot," or parsnips "pasniproot." Why beets? :scratchhead:

CD
Well, I can answer that.

Back in Neolithic days, when we'd transitioned from hunter-gatherers to a more stationary, agrarian social group, we began planting and harvesting things like parsnips, carrots, and beets.

A typical conversation might be something like:

"Me, Arak, want parsnip for meal when great bright rock in sky go away for many hours. Do Arak-Wife want parsnip?"

That was fine, but then one day this happened:

"Me, Kruld, would like to give Arak beets now!"

"Me, Arak, say Arak would like beets from Kruld! Give beets to Arak, Kruld!"

Kruld began making strange noises with his mouth and spit some mad rhymes for Arak:

"Me Kruld! Me here to say, giving Arak beats is game Kruld play! Kruld swim in wet and walk in dry! Kruld so bad, Arak cry! Boom-chee-chee-boom, yeah! Arak like beets, how Arak like them beats! If alphabet invented now, Kruld spell beats with unusual letter, like beatz!"

Arak smashed Kruld with his club, ending the life of the very first rap artist, and also instructed the other people in his community to call beets beetroot from then on.

History, man, it's fascinating. 😏

Well, I can answer that.

Back in Neolithic days, when we'd transitioned from hunter-gatherers to a more stationary, agrarian social group, we began planting and harvesting things like parsnips, carrots, and beets.

A typical conversation might be something like:

"Me, Arak, want parsnip for meal when great bright rock in sky go away for many hours. Do Arak-Wife want parsnip?"

That was fine, but then one day this happened:

"Me, Kruld, would like to give Arak beets now!"

"Me, Arak, say Arak would like beets from Kruld! Give beets to Arak, Kruld!"

Kruld began making strange noises with his mouth and spit some mad rhymes for Arak:

"Me Kruld! Me here to say, giving Arak beats is game Kruld play! Kruld swim in wet and walk in dry! Kruld so bad, Arak cry! Boom-chee-chee-boom, yeah! Arak like beets, how Arak like them beats! If alphabet invented now, Kruld spell beats with unusual letter, like beatz!"

Arak smashed Kruld with his club, ending the life of the very first rap artist, and also instructed the other people in his community to call beets beetroot from then on.

History, man, it's fascinating. 😏

You are one "unique" person. :scratchhead:

CD

They have rather striking flowers but they don't like very cold temperatures. Plant in the spring, I think. Ginger generally keeps very well (you can keep it in the fridge). I only get rid of it if its literally shrivelled up.
JAS_OH1 - ginger is definitely tropical. It likes warm, loose soil, temperatures in the upper 20°C ( 75°F upwards) and plenty of sunshine. Under those conditions, it grows like mad.
Here are a couple of photos from my garden:

At the center of my mental glitch with beetroot is that nobody calls carrots "carrotroot," or parsnips "pasniproot." Why beets? :scratchhead:
When I read this, my first thought was clarity, as beetgreens are edible...I may be wrong though. Carrotgreens are not edible, or are they? So kind of like green onion and onion The onion (bulb, tuber)? I don't know, but i teresting you mentioned it.

When I read this, my first thought was clarity, as beetgreens are edible...I may be wrong though. Carrotgreens are not edible, or are they? So kind of like green onion and onion The onion (bulb, tuber)? I don't know, but i teresting you mentioned it.

It's interesting.
North America: Beets are the bottoms underground, beet greens are atop.
Europe, probably also Australia: Beetroots are underground, beets are atop.
Everywhere: Turnips are the bottoms, underground, turnip greens are atop.
Everywhere: Onions are the bottoms, underground; green onions (sometimes scallions in the US) are atop.

No one ever said English made sense!

I'm looking forward to this challenge. I kinda didn't get involved on the site much at all in December; I've been wanting to cook, but just not quite succeeding in doing much in the kitchen (other than standard things).

I'm thinking of trying celeriac (aka celery root), maybe rutabega. I harvested the last of my turnips, but that was just a handful, so if i do use those, they won't be from my garden.

JAS_OH1 - ginger is definitely tropical. It likes warm, loose soil, temperatures in the upper 20°C ( 75°F upwards) and plenty of sunshine. Under those conditions, it grows like mad.
Here are a couple of photos from my garden:
View attachment 78958

View attachment 78959
It's pretty.

I had read that it liked tropical climates, but my real question was whether or not the root system would survive a harsh cold winter and the plant could come back again in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom