The CookingBites recipe challenge: sweet potatoes or yams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:07 PM
Welcome to the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. The current challenge ingredient is sweet potatoes or yams and Flawed is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe* using sweet potatoes or yams, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge.

Deadline: 12.00 midday Wednesday 21st July, UK time (GMT +1). Challenge rules and a list of previous winners and ingredients can be found here.

*recipes must be posted within the time frame of the current challenge.

Last edited:
I don't particularly care for sweet yamtaters, but MrsT loves them. I'll have to put my thinking foil on.

I’d say at least half the ingredients in Challenges are ones that I wouldn’t normally choose. I can’t recall intentionally buying yams, except maybe to make a desserty treatment for Thanksgiving once. But, this is exactly why I love the Challenges. They take me out of my comfort zone, and I usually discover something I want to make again.

I haven't had yams in a while. In this heat, they'd cook in dry air storage and drip goo. They will have to be refrigerated until used.

I suppose there are several unique ways to use them in cooking.

Mod.comment:

Please note that sweet potatoes and yams are two different things although in the USA the name 'yams' is often used to refer to sweet potatoes. Either sweet potatoes or yams (or both together) are acceptable for this challenge.

Real yams are entirely different root vegetables that are more like yucca in texture and flavor. They have bumpy, tough brown skin (that looks almost tree trunk-like) with starchy, not sweet flesh. Yams are more easily compared to the texture and flavor of white russet potatoes (with more fiber and complex carbs) and are best boiled and served alongside hearty braised meats. The neutrally-flavored yams are often used in Caribbean or West African cooking, and are difficult to find in the U.S.; sometimes you can pick them up at specialty grocery stores.

What's the Difference Between a Sweet Potato and a Yam?

I figure it’s a great ingredient that can used in sweet and savoury dishes, aside from being a ‘superfood’ as it’s backed with antioxidants and vitamins. It’s cheap and has lots of versatility…..should be enough to feed the creative brains! :chef:

Good choice. I'm not a big fan, but there are some good Southern US traditional SP/Yam dishes. They are popular in the Deep South.

CD

Good choice. I'm not a big fan, but there are some good Southern US traditional SP/Yam dishes.

CD

I'm not a huge fan of sweet potato (its the sweetness) but I know some tricks... I prefer yams (which are not sweet) so I might also see of I can find some. An Afro Caribbean shop has opened a few doors along from where I live, so they may stock them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom