The CookingBites recipe challenge: sweet potatoes or yams

Status
Not open for further replies.
We call em kumara here. Make great chips btw.
Koo ma ra.

Russ

I don't care much for Sweet Potato fries. The get soggy fast. There is a restaurant here that makes sweet potato chips (crisps) that are good. They stay crunchy for a while.

CD

As someone who grew up in the Caribbean, I appreciate the acknowledgement that they are indeed two different tubers.

I am very much interested in this challenge as I've recently rediscovered a love for sweet potatoes, but so far all I do is roast them and enjoy as is, sans additives.

I hope you make an entry!

Lets take a sweet potato and make it sweeter. Oh my! I simply couldn't eat that.

That is a classic, here. You take those candied yams, put them in a casserole dish, top with mini marshmallows and bake. I grew up eating them at Thanksgiving and Christmas. My parents still serve them for those two meals -- change is rare with them when it comes to certain meals.

CD

That is a classic, here. You take those candied yams, put them in a casserole dish, top with mini marshmallows and bake. I grew up eating them at Thanksgiving and Christmas. My parents still serve them for those two meals -- change is rare with them when it comes to certain meals.

CD

Marshmallows too? I think I feel a bit queasy! :laugh: Perhaps someone should enter this quintessentially American dessert. Maybe Flawed has a sweet tooth?

Marshmallows too? I think I feel a bit queasy! :laugh: Perhaps someone should enter this quintessentially American dessert. Maybe Flawed has a sweet tooth?
Oh, they're loaded with sugar - brown sugar, white sugar, not unusual to have some maple syrup in there, lots of butter and cinnamon, maybe even a little orange juice...and marshmallows on top - and before you ask, it's a side dish, not a dessert. :wink:

Oh, they're loaded with sugar - brown sugar, white sugar, not unusual to have some maple syrup in there, lots of butter and cinnamon, maybe even a little orange juice...and marshmallows on top - and before you ask, it's a side dish, not a dessert. :wink:

A side dish? OMG.

A side dish? OMG.

Yes...

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 1.18.01 PM.jpg

That and some green-bean casserole made with canned green beans, Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup, and Durkee fried onion strings on top.

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 1.17.06 PM.jpg

CD

This was the one time I made yams previously, and it put me right off of them. But, none of my chocolate recipes were sweet, and I’m certain I will make savory recipes here as well.

CD

Yes, pretty sad, and Unfortunately a staple at many Thanksgivings, yes as a side. I am glad my parents didn't like them that way either. So we didn't do that!!

I always thought when I saw that as a side: why not just scoop all the marshmallows and sugar into a bowl and eat it separately? The sweet potatoes cease to be a part of the dish anyway when they’re smothered in all that. It’s a bit like wrapping a dog’s medicine in a treat to get him to swallow it.

Yes, pretty sad, and Unfortunately a staple at many Thanksgivings, yes as a side. I am glad my parents didn't like them that way either. So we didn't do that!!
I've never liked them, and it has nothing to do with the sugar/sweet profile. I've just never much liked sweet potatoes in general.

My wife, OTOH, could eat a bucket of those. I have to make some for her every Thanksgiving.

I've never liked them, and it has nothing to do with the sugar/sweet profile. I've just never much liked sweet potatoes in general.

My wife, OTOH, could eat a bucket of those. I have to make some for her every Thanksgiving.

I used to like them as a kid, but kids like sugary sweet things. Now, I'll eat a tiny portion so as not to offend the family.

CD

I am finding this fascinating as there is a clear US/Non US divide on how these are used. I don't have a sweet tooth per se, I'm used to savoury dishes and seems the US say "yeah its good and sweet, lets add some more sweetness and sugar to make sure" 😂 😂 😂 . Personally I've used beyond sweet potato fries and a part of wholesome vegetarian meals. (i'm not vegetarian) I thought it would be good to get the creative juices going.....I cant wait to see what people come up with as I am finding it very versatile....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom