The CookingBites recipe challenge: sweet potatoes or yams

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am finding this fascinating as there is a clear US/Non US divide on how these are used. I don't have a sweet tooth per se, I'm used to savoury dishes and seems the US say "yeah its good and sweet, lets add some more sweetness and sugar to make sure" 😂 😂 😂 . Personally I've used beyond sweet potato fries and a part of wholesome vegetarian meals. (i'm not vegetarian) I thought it would be good to get the creative juices going.....I cant wait to see what people come up with as I am finding it very versatile....

Keep in mind, American tastes today are not exactly what they were 50 years ago. Those of us who cook definitely use a lot more fresh ingredients, and a lot fewer canned (tinned) ingredients.

In Texas, traditional BBQ is beef, salt, black pepper and smoke. A traditional dessert would be Pecan Pie (pronounced puh-con, not pee-can). Pecan pie is so sweet, it makes my teeth hurt. But, these days, a common dessert at a BBQ restaurant would more likely be a far less sweet berry cobbler.

The one challenge idea I currently have is not very creative, but it is something I really like. It is sweet, but not over the top sweet. I may do a few tweaks to make it more interesting.

Those chips (crisps) I mentioned earlier are actually served with corn tortilla chips and two spicy salsas at Blue Mesa Grill in Dallas.

Unknown.jpeg

CD

I don't care much for Sweet Potato fries. The get soggy fast. There is a restaurant here that makes sweet potato chips (crisps) that are good. They stay crunchy for a while.

CD

My first taste of hand made sweet tatters was at last dinner club, I was that impressed I'm trying to replicate, they were crunchy and serve with coarse grain salt, I know you don't do salt, but they were incredible. I'll pic some when I'm 100% happy with them. I'm maybe one step away. These are orange kumara, I usually only use red ones, that's why I was so impressed.

Russ

Russ

I loathe them, I can't even pretend to want to try to cook them. They rank right up there with chitterlings and tripe, lol.
My dad used to love them, then when his appendix burst, it was the last thing he'd eaten before that happened, and now he retches at the smell of them. :laugh:

I loathe them, I can't even pretend to want to try to cook them. They rank right up there with chitterlings and tripe, lol.

Believe me, these are nothing like tripe. Tripe was a cruel treatment given to me as a kid. I almost retch at the word. :(

Russ

Believe me, these are nothing like tripe. Tripe was a cruel treatment given to me as a kid. I almost retch at the word. :(

Russ
And...that's how I feel about sweet potatoes, yams, spaghetti squash or any sweet squash, and cooked carrots. Well I like cooked carrots in soups and stews if they are cooked to the point of annihilation, lol.

And...that's how I feel about sweet potatoes, yams, spaghetti squash or any sweet squash, and cooked carrots. Well I like cooked carrots in soups and stews if they are cooked to the point of annihilation, lol.

Wow, traumatic times in your life? Mum used to sit in front of us and make us eat ( swallow chunks) as I dry retched , to words of like, kids on the other side of the world would love to eat that, and it's got parsley sauce, you love parsley sauce Russell. I don't remember my bros having the same reaction as me.??

Russ

Craig makes a mash similar to the marshmallow dish, but no marshmallows, and bourbon and pecans plus brown sugar and the sweet potatoes, plus whatever else he uses.
I've done something like that, but with beer, called Tipsy Taters.

4 pages of posts…maybe we’ll see a recipe sneak in at some point? :laugh:
Admit it...sweet potatoes are more fun to talk about than to eat. :laugh:

I am finding this fascinating as there is a clear US/Non US divide on how these are used. I don't have a sweet tooth per se, I'm used to savoury dishes and seems the US say "yeah its good and sweet, lets add some more sweetness and sugar to make sure" 😂 😂 😂 . Personally I've used beyond sweet potato fries and a part of wholesome vegetarian meals. (i'm not vegetarian) I thought it would be good to get the creative juices going.....I cant wait to see what people come up with as I am finding it very versatile....

BTW, I hope you recognize the irony of ^this^ comment. You just won a challenge... with a salami made of chocolate. :laugh:

CD

My first taste of hand made sweet tatters was at last dinner club, I was that impressed I'm trying to replicate, they were crunchy and serve with coarse grain salt, I know you don't do salt, but they were incredible. I'll pic some when I'm 100% happy with them. I'm maybe one step away. These are orange kumara, I usually only use red ones, that's why I was so impressed.

Russ

I do some salt -- I just have to go easy with it.

All fries go limp in time, but sweet potato fries seem to go limp faster.

CD

I do some salt -- I just have to go easy with it.

All fries go limp in time, but sweet potato fries seem to go limp faster.

CD

The ones I had were crisp, from serving until the last chip. Three other people tried them and were also unbelievable about them. It was the fox and ferret pub/ restaurant. I'll post my next cook and remarks.
Btw I hardly use salt in my cooking but it's always on the table for others. My good friend dafyd uses way too much salt. I always warn him.
Russ

I've never liked them, and it has nothing to do with the sugar/sweet profile. I've just never much liked sweet potatoes in general.

My wife, OTOH, could eat a bucket of those. I have to make some for her every Thanksgiving.
The only way my mom and other relatives made them was all that sweet crap on them. Yuck. I hated them. Later, as an adult, someone suggested I try them with just butter and salt. Yuck. I hated them that way too. I also tried those sweet potato fries, no bueno.

Well good luck to y'all, maybe next month I'll like the challenge ingredient. Of course no offense to those who do like them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom