The CookingBites recipe challenge: sweet potatoes or yams

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kinda shocked to be honest. It's used in a lot of vegetarian cooking and savoury dishes and cant believe no one has done a chicken and sweet potato curry - it only has to be an ingredient not something solus

Give me a chance Flawed ! :) Curry is absolutely on my list. In the USA curry is not so prevalent as it is in the UK. I also think that sweet potato has a rather bad (limited?) reputation in the US due to its ubiquitous use as a sweet side dish at Thanksgiving.

I've got various ideas in process for savoury dishes and this time round I'm determined to be entering. Sweet potato needs to be paired with strong flavours (in my opinion) and preferably flavours which cut the sweetness.

I'm kinda shocked to be honest. It's used in a lot of vegetarian cooking and savoury dishes and cant believe no one has done a chicken and sweet potato curry - it only has to be an ingredient not something solus
I shall speak for the entirety of the US :)laugh:):

Sweet potatoes (aka yams) here, I'd say, have really branched out maybe in the last 15-20 years or so. We make and eat plenty of candied yams at Thanksgiving, and sweet potato pie is a classic and much-loved dessert similar to pumpkin pie (I think I just made one not long ago). Big, burly, hairy men will break down in tears remembering their moms' sweet potato pie.

Nowadays, though, it's pretty common to find sweet potato chili, sweet potato soup, sweet potato rolls/bread, etc. Now, you're not going to walk into some little mom & pop place and find that, but if you're in a reasonably-sized town or larger...chances are somebody's got a sweet potato something on the menu at some point. I know I've made a sweet potato hash for breakfast not terribly long ago.

Look for my first entry tomorrow. It won't be pie or candied yams. 😬

I also think that sweet potato has a rather bad (limited?) reputation in the US due to its ubiquitous use as a sweet side dish at Thanksgiving.

Sweet potatoes have long been a staple in Southern cooking. They are certainly not as popular nationally as the Idaho Russet or red potatoes, but they have been gaining ground for quite a while for their healthy assets. In particular, they are high in complex carbohydrates, instead of simple carbs. That is good for weight loss and for avoiding blood sugar spikes. They are also a good source of antioxidants. Many health conscious people will have a baked sweet potato instead of a baked russet (what you call jacket potato, I believe).

CD

I'll add that baked sweet potatoes (loaded with butter, cinnamon, and sugar), sweet potato fries, and sweet potato crisps/chips (both usually more chili flavored) are very easy to find in restaurants here. They sell the chips/crisps in grocery stores, easily had.

If you look at the pic I posted they were so tiny, I get better value in the ground planting more raspberry canes.

Russ
I noticed when I got sweet potatoes from the organic farm around the corner that they were much smaller than the supermarket ones.

So, 6 pages, and no recipes yet? I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many posts about NOT posting a recipe in a recipe challenge before. :laugh: I have an excuse, at least: I’m returning from vacation, and about to be airborne. I will definitely post something (and, for a change, I actually have time to think about it).

We did, see Craig's post quoted below and directly above.

We use sweet potatoes in a Thai curry we really like, which also has avocado in it.
I think it might have won the coconut challenge a while back.

Recipe - Chicken massaman curry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom