The CookingBites recipe challenge: sweet potatoes or yams

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, 6 pages, and no recipes yet?

Well, @

Please note that you can use true yams for the challenge, which are not sweet at all - they are a different species (although in the USA the word yams is often used for sweet potatoes). You may like them, though not sure how easy they are to find where you are. I certainly prefer them to sweet potato.
Okay, maybe I just don't like orangey foods. Ive had yams, didn't like them. I don't like pumpkin, either.

I'll watch suspiciously from a distance as others post recipes, mostly out of curiosity, lol.

Edited to add that I do like oranges, lol.

Funny you should say that as yesterday I spent a happy half an hour trying to spiralise sweet potatoes....

We have the spiralizer attachment for the Kitchen Aid, so it's easy to make them. Also have the vege sheeter attachment, which I think we have used once or twice. :rolleyes: We should really try to use them more often considering how much they cost.

Okay, maybe I just don't like orangey foods. Ive had yams, didn't like them. I don't like pumpkin, either.

I'll watch suspiciously from a distance as others post recipes, mostly out of curiosity, lol.

Edited to add that I do like oranges, lol.
Don't try to explain it, the stomach wants what it wants. :laugh:

Here we go:

Recipe - Sweet Potato Pancakes

Dry ingredients:

Wet into dry:

In the pan:

Other side:

Mine (basic):

Wife's (deluxe):

These are excellent, especially if you like something that has that pumpkin spice flavor profile, but much, much lighter and not so overpowering.

As you can see, these are nice and fluffy, but they're even more filling than the usual pancakes, owing to the heft of the sweet potato, I reckon.

MrsT has asked that I work these into our regular rotation, so that's a thumbs up from her.

I'll add that I fried these in butter instead of the usual oil, adding just a teaspoon or so for each pancake. Midway through, the butter that remained behind had browned nicely, which is a bonus for the cook, who always eats last. :wink:

We have the spiralizer attachment for the Kitchen Aid, so it's easy to make them. Also have the vege sheeter attachment, which I think we have used once or twice. :rolleyes: We should really try to use them more often considering how much they cost.

I just have a cheap little hand held gadget. It works but its hard work slow and produces quite a lot of 'waste'. Well its not really waste as you can use the leftover bits in another dish which is what I did. But I only got enough spirals for something very small!

Here we go:

Recipe - Sweet Potato Pancakes

Dry ingredients:
View attachment 66437

Wet into dry:
View attachment 66438

In the pan:
View attachment 66439

Other side:
View attachment 66440

Mine (basic):
View attachment 66442

Wife's (deluxe):
View attachment 66441

These are excellent, especially if you like something that has that pumpkin spice flavor profile, but much, much lighter and not so overpowering.

As you can see, these are nice and fluffy, but they're even more filling than the usual pancakes, owing to the heft of the sweet potato, I reckon.

MrsT has asked that I work these into our regular rotation, so that's a thumbs up from her.

I'll add that I fried these in butter instead of the usual oil, adding just a teaspoon or so for each pancake. Midway through, the butter that remained behind had browned nicely, which is a bonus for the cook, who always eats last. :wink:

You are good at pancakes, you are. :okay:

You are good at pancakes, you are. :okay:
You don't really know how happy it makes me to hear that. Pancakes are something I struggled with for years, and even though I've more or less got them where I want them, I still get a little panicky when I make them, whispering "Please don't be raw in the middle please don't be raw in the middle please don't be tough please don't be tough please don't be raw in the middle..."

You don't really know how happy it makes me to hear that. Pancakes are something I struggled with for years, and even though I've more or less got them where I want them, I still get a little panicky when I make them, whispering "Please don't be raw in the middle please don't be raw in the middle please don't be tough please don't be tough please don't be raw in the middle..."

Put it this way - I can cook a decent crêpe and a decent British pancake but when it comes to American pancakes its a different story.

Here comes another one:

Recipe - Buttered Sweet Potato Knot Rolls

These are pretty easy and pretty good as well. I love how you can see flecks of sweet potato in the dough.

I made this a lot easier on myself by using the stand mixer. I was also feeling really bad about my knot-tying skills until I went out and watched a baking instructor show how to do it, and his looked like mine, so either I'm at instructor-level with my shaping or he's crap as well. :laugh:

Anyway, these are just beautifully soft and pillowy, very light and delicate. We're having stew tonight, and I'm looking forward to a couple of these joining in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom