The CookingBites recipe challenge: sweet potatoes or yams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Craig makes a mash similar to the marshmallow dish, but no marshmallows, and bourbon and pecans plus brown sugar and the sweet potatoes, plus whatever else he uses.
I wonder if I drank a ton of bourbon first I'd be able to eat them? :laugh:

Sitting in the St. Louis airport and bored. My flight got canceled. I'd be in Houston by now otherwise. Now my ETA is 11 p.m.

And I saw a lady wearing pajamas, lol.

I wonder if I drank a ton of bourbon first I'd be able to eat them? :laugh:

Sitting in the St. Louis airport and bored. My flight got canceled. I'd be in Houston by now otherwise. Now my ETA is 11 p.m.
View attachment 66326
And I saw a lady wearing pajamas, lol.

We regularly see students in their pjs at our local supermarket. Or dressing gowns.

Russ

I've made a dish with them based on "Bananas Foster". Chunks of sweet taters pan steam with water and lots of butter. When the water evaporates, I add brown sugar, toasted, chopped pecans and dark rum. It could be used as a topping for vanilla ice cream.

Well, @
The only way my mom and other relatives made them was all that sweet crap on them. Yuck. I hated them. Later, as an adult, someone suggested I try them with just butter and salt. Yuck. I hated them that way too. I also tried those sweet potato fries, no bueno.

Well good luck to y'all, maybe next month I'll like the challenge ingredient. Of course no offense to those who do like them!

Please note that you can use true yams for the challenge, which are not sweet at all - they are a different species (although in the USA the word yams is often used for sweet potatoes). You may like them, though not sure how easy they are to find where you are. I certainly prefer them to sweet potato.

Well, @

Please note that you can use true yams for the challenge, which are not sweet at all - they are a different species (although in the USA the word yams is often used for sweet potatoes). You may like them, though not sure how easy they are to find where you are. I certainly prefer them to sweet potato.

I don't know about all of America, but in the South, people know the difference. Down here, from my own experience, sweet potatoes are a lot more commonly used than yams. I don't see fresh yams in most grocery stores where I live.

CD

I don't know about all of America, but in the South, people know the difference. Down here, from my own experience, sweet potatoes are a lot more commonly used than yams. I don't see fresh yams in most grocery stores where I live.

CD
I just checked my Kroger app, which shows the inventory for my local store.

There are four products available in Produce if I search "yams:" Sweet Red Garnet Yams, Jewel Yams Sweet Potatoes, White Yams, and Sweet Japanese Yams.

If I search for "sweet potatoes," I get all those except the white yams, and additionally, Gold Jewel Sweet Potatoes, and Red Sweet Potatoes.

Emoji for sweet potato is 🍠
Emoji for yams is 🍠

Most people here wouldn't really know the difference, I think, or they'd say yams and sweet potatoes are the same thing. I can go to a couple of specialty places and get a more eclectic selection.

I do have a couple of things I want to make.

Very well, I have come up with four considerations for yam/sweet potato recipes. But I have to say that it's not easy to get very unique with these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom