The CookingBites recipe challenge: sweet potatoes or yams

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned something new about baking sweet potatoes. Instead of baking at 350-400F (176-204C) like you would a white russet, bake them at a lower temperature for a longer time -- 275F (135C) for a few hours -- until you reach 200F (94C) internal temperature.

The flesh inside turns out smooth and creamy, like mashed potatoes. The flavor is also excellent.

CD
Love how yours turned out. I was looking at sweet potatoes the last few days, but had only made it to the forum today.
Great baking tip. Will do. Thank you.

Sweet potato & feta salad
batasala_12.jpg

33671954-B292-4F3F-9B00-21EE1DEB4ACC.jpeg

Yam Clam Thank You Ma’am Chowder. I swear I wanted to use yams in the proper sense, but I couldn’t find them. Every supermarket in United States carries a variety of potatoes, including russet, and sweet potatoes. But, no proper yams. I didn’t feel like searching specialty markets to find them, so I went ahead using the American terminology.

Last edited:
Yesterday, I went to grocery-shop. Bought a bunch of sweet potatoes, for some odd ? reason.

At any rate, I plan to make one sweet potato dish today, and I am going to a pot luck dinner tomorrow evening, to which I will bring a second of these.

I have serious ideas for at least one more dish after these.

This is one of the new vegetarian/vegan dishes I mentioned based on sweet potato that went out tonight as a special to see how it's received. Basically it's a sweet potato pave with fried onion, garlic, herbs, coriander, cumin, black cardamom in coconut milk. Sauteed mushrooms, raw jicama batons in a chimichurri marinade. The pave is sitting on swiss chard. Also the sauce is a combo of adobo made fresh and chipotle in adobo sauce, pureed. Also I pickled some jalapenos. We'll see how it sells. It's hard to see the pave, but it is there lol.
20210710_174723.jpg

This is one of the new vegetarian/vegan dishes I mentioned based on sweet potato that went out tonight as a special to see how it's received. Basically it's a sweet potato pave with fried onion, garlic, herbs, coriander, cumin, black cardamom in coconut milk. Sauteed mushrooms, raw jicama batons in a chimichurri marinade. The pave is sitting on swiss chard. Also the sauce is a combo of adobo made fresh and chipotle in adobo sauce, pureed. Also I pickled some jalapenos. We'll see how it sells. It's hard to see the pave, but it is there lol.
View attachment 67070

It looks gorgeous. Are you going to make this an entry garlichead? If so you need to post it as a separate Recipe thread and then link it back to this thread.

It looks gorgeous. Are you going to make this an entry garlichead? If so you need to post it as a separate Recipe thread and then link it back to this thread.
No MG not going to enter. I will post in the recipe thread if the dish survives. It's not in recipe form yet, just a rough outline with ingredient's. We sold all 14 orders last night with very good reviews, so that's a good thing. I'll be preparing more with some changes and generally I do that at least 3 times before I commit it to a recipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom