The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check this out. This is what one day in Texas can be like.

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 6.24.25 PM.jpg

CD

anyone know if deep freezers are waterproof from the outside? mine's standing in 3 inches of water...

and our track is on the point of being washed away. the drainage channel under it is swapped. it's washed away at that point before. it will take more than my 4x4 to get hubby home if it goes!

56mm and counting still...

anyone know if deep freezers are waterproof from the outside? mine's standing in 3 inches of water...

and our track is on the point of being washed away. the drainage channel under it is swapped. it's washed away at that point before. it will take more than my 4x4 to get hubby home if it goes!

56mm and counting still...
I'd definitely be worried about the motor, etc., but the food should be okay for a bit at least.

It's hard to give scale on these but I know that ditch is over 1.5m deep.
(and these were taken using that wonderful feature of hanging the camera upside down and in front. I promise I was not in the water. I wouldn't be here if I was. Remember, we are only 50m off the mountain top!

And yes, its partially blocked inside by the looks of things. Landlord asked for photos because track has been washed away at that point and where he is in Canberra they have only had 1mm of rain!

There's actually a dip in the land here that's massive 10m wide minimum and 1-2m deep... It's the course of a creek. it runs out of sight to the top & left. It's full.
This track has previously been washed away at this point. if it crosses the track the risk of it re-occurring is very high.

it doesn't look much here but you could easily not reach the bottom.

This is currently doing a really good job of washing away our dirt road (not this track) where it meets the road...

Last edited:
Well, the good news is that for the moment at least, it has stopped raining.
The bad news is that at 7pm hubby rang me to say he can't get home. he's 10 minutes drive away at best. 9 km. But the flooding is too deep to get through and police have said no way. usually we 'win" these discussions but not today. He's not happy even trying.
So he's got a 73km drive around 2 sides of a rectangle and he'll try to get have from the other end of our road. Luckily coming off the highway from that direction means he is left upstream of the guaranteed flooding in to town at that end. It will actually be much worse than what he has not been able to get through! If no trees or similar have come down across the dirt road we live on (there's 16km to negotiate) he might just be home before bedtime! (I did actually ask him to come home earlier this afternoon but he didn't really believe me how bad it has been).

Well, the good news is that for the moment at least, it has stopped raining.
The bad news is that at 7pm hubby rang me to say he can't get home. he's 10 minutes drive away at best. 9 km. But the flooding is too deep to get through and police have said no way. usually we 'win" these discussions but not today. He's not happy even trying.
So he's got a 73km drive around 2 sides of a rectangle and he'll try to get have from the other end of our road. Luckily coming off the highway from that direction means he is left upstream of the guaranteed flooding in to town at that end. It will actually be much worse than what he has not been able to get through! If no trees or similar have come down across the dirt road we live on (there's 16km to negotiate) he might just be home before bedtime! (I did actually ask him to come home earlier this afternoon but he didn't really believe me how bad it has been).

I hope he doesn't take any risks on the drive home. Floodwaters can be deceiving, especially after dark.

CD

I hope he doesn't take any risks on the drive home. Floodwaters can be deceiving, especially after dark.

CD
coming in from the other direction from the north, heading south on the other highway. (there are 2 highways that meet and our road forms a triangle with them) he should be ok. the worst he'll have is run off across the road and he knows the points that have previously washed away, so he should be ok. fingers crossed.

edit, the highway is upstream of the local town and even though the slip road is only a services the town from the north of it, he'll not need to turn towards the town but upstream away from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom