The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s been raining for three days here.
It was meant to yesterday, so I didn't do any washing. Instead I spent the morning rubbing around town like a mad woman and the afternoon in the veg plot in a short sleeved t shirt because it was so warm. (+15°C). I had been watching the horizon whist locking up the chooks (bad behavior, considering a life sentence for 2 of them, call it self seasoning... lol) because the cloud were very distinctive, but the forecast said nothing about thunder.

About an hour after dark, it hit big time. It's not stopped raining since... we were predicted a high chance of a very small amount and a very low chance off a high amount. We're into the never entered the forecast category right now and the morning has hardly even begun (7:30am). Think I won't need to water those seedlings I planted out... (leeks, pak choy, celery, spinach and the remain garlic).

I may need to go and save them from drowning though

This poem has been taking up my mind for the last couple of days, following an event in Texas. I know we don't do politics but knowing you all, I am confident that this will resonate with many here.

If you know Gil Scott Heron's "Whitey's on the Moon" then you will know the structure.

3 frosts here in the last week. Dam cold in the morning. Picked another cucumber yesterday from greenhouse.
Basil is still growing. Crazy weather.
Saturday so watching races and going shopping later. Wifes away for a week tomorrow on a conference in welly. We will stock up on treats hopefully?

Russ

America is more than that. ..There are millions of Americans hurting right now.

It is a very hard thing to explain to people. You are in kind of a unique position, as a Canadian. You have one foot in Europe, and another in America (Canadians are "Americans" too). Living in Texas since 1974, this newest senseless act just adds more complexity to my love/hate relationship with the State I live in.

I'll leave it at that.

CD

America is more than that. ..There are millions of Americans hurting right now.

I think that is the point of the poem. :okay: All the countries mentioned are obviously more than the stereotypical symbols in the poem . Sadly, we now associate the word 'gun' with American culture.

Of course. I get that. But, I choose to look at some of the positive things for the sake of the peaceful majority. And, they aren’t the only gun culture. Look at the images in the Middle East, Africa, Ukraine and others. hundreds are being killed every week. The US isn’t even in the top ten. That poem isn’t saying anything we don’t know. Low hanging fruit. Sticking the boot 🥾 n, as they say in the UK. Doesn’t really help anything. But, My opinion is just that. An opinion. I support freedom of speech.

Last edited:
Of course. I get that. But, I choose to look at some of the positive things for the sake of the peaceful majority. And, they aren’t the only gun culture. Look at the images in the Middle East, Africa, Ukraine and others. hundreds are being killed every week. The US isn’t even in the top ten. That poem isn’t saying anything we don’t know. Low hanging fruit. Sticking the boot 🥾 n, as they say in the UK. Doesn’t really help anything. But, My opinion is just that. An opinion. I support freedom of speech.

I see what you mean. War and oppressive regimes are killing far more people. I'm ashamed of the world in which we live, truth be told.

Our friends of the Italian restaurant have had to close today. We knew it was coming for a while, they were already in trouble before the whole Covid thing happened. And the people in this tiny village I live in aren't fond of things too different from what they are used to. It's a farming community, and there's a Dutch saying 'what the farmer doesn't know he doesn't eat' which still applies to a lot of people here.
It's something we did not fully consider before moving here, but culinary culture in this part of our country is pretty conservative. Ironic, because it's close to some of the most innovative places in the country like Delft and Den Haag.

We will miss their food, it was great. Just unfortunately the wrong location.

Our friends of the Italian restaurant have had to close today.
I’m sorry to hear that. It’s so hard to find a good restaurant that really clicks with you, and then they close.

We had a place that we absolutely loved, and it was our first choice for special-occasion meals. First, it was very small, about eight tables and no public bar. Second, the chef/owner made two entrees, plus their signature chateaubriand was always available for pre-order. That was it, and you had to let them know ahead of time what you’d be having of the two choices, so he didn’t overbuy one thing and underbuy the other.

The service was impeccable. After our first visit, which they asked if it was a special occasion and we told them it was our anniversary, they called us about 10 days before our anniversary the following year and asked if we’d be joining them again. Some might say that was a little pushy, but within that year, we’d already gone for a couple of other occasions, and it was always the chef’s wife who called, and it really felt more like an old friend calling to invite us over. Plus, after every visit, she’d call a few days later and ask how things were with the meal.

We were completely smitten with that place, and got to eat there for about five years before they retired and shut the place down. We were properly despondent for quite a while afterwards. We’d drive by the closed up building and wish we could go, or a birthday would happen and we’d wish we could go there for that. It took us a couple of years to really get over it.

Oddly, though, I find that saying about the farmer kind of comforting. Maybe it implies some sort of stability, idk.

Anyway, I hope that you can find another place nearby, or maybe something just as good will open in its place.

I’m sorry to hear that. It’s so hard to find a good restaurant that really clicks with you, and then they close.

We had a place that we absolutely loved, and it was our first choice for special-occasion meals. First, it was very small, about eight tables and no public bar. Second, the chef/owner made two entrees, plus their signature chateaubriand was always available for pre-order. That was it, and you had to let them know ahead of time what you’d be having of the two choices, so he didn’t overbuy one thing and underbuy the other.

The service was impeccable. After our first visit, which they asked if it was a special occasion and we told them it was our anniversary, they called us about 10 days before our anniversary the following year and asked if we’d be joining them again. Some might say that was a little pushy, but within that year, we’d already gone for a couple of other occasions, and it was always the chef’s wife who called, and it really felt more like an old friend calling to invite us over. Plus, after every visit, she’d call a few days later and ask how things were with the meal.

We were completely smitten with that place, and got to eat there for about five years before they retired and shut the place down. We were properly despondent for quite a while afterwards. We’d drive by the closed up building and wish we could go, or a birthday would happen and we’d wish we could go there for that. It took us a couple of years to really get over it.

Oddly, though, I find that saying about the farmer kind of comforting. Maybe it implies some sort of stability, idk.

Anyway, I hope that you can find another place nearby, or maybe something just as good will open in its place.
Yeah, what you describe, it was exactly like that. It was the whole experience, not just the food. The best service I've experienced, without the formality of star rated restaurants. It was fantastic. I understand you miss a place like that, a needle in a haystack!

I know a couple of good Italian restaurants in Delft, so for good pizza I've got another adress lined up. It's just the atmosphere/ambience that can't be replicated. I hope we can find something similar in ambience. I love the sushi place I frequent too, but that's too large a place to ever get personal though their service is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom