The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windigo. I didn’t take it that way. All good.

caseydog we have too much rain. I’d happily send you some of it.

The La Niña wet is supposed to end this month but now we are being told there’s another weather system that’s going to give us a wet spring. The roads are falling apart all over the east coast. Just dreadful. Some families have lost their home altogether after 3 x floods. Terrible.

Hey, they got flooding the other day... in Death Valley!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jG6ZLBjxho

CD

I've lived on the Earth for xx years this is my every first double-yoker!!!
IMG_1965.JPG

Albeit very small, I mean WOW, that's pretty dang cool!
I showed this to DH and he had never seen this before either ...

I've lived on the Earth for xx years this is my every first double-yoker!!!
View attachment 88873
Albeit very small, I mean WOW, that's pretty dang cool!
I showed this to DH and he had never seen this before either ...
I've yet to see it, wow! I know plenty of others here have though. How cool!

Big commercial egg producers probably pull the double yolkers in the "candling" process.

CD
I have read that it's 1 in 1,000 eggs. I generally buy local Hillendale Farms (vegetarian diet, cage free and pasture raised), they are not a big commercial producer.

I have read that it's 1 in 1,000 eggs. I generally buy local Hillendale Farms (vegetarian diet, cage free and pasture raised), they are not a big commercial producer.
Usually it is just a reproductive 'error' and indicates the start or end of a bird's laying life and often therefore end of their life because few places want non-productive birds. Last season I had one girl who lay nothing but double yolkers right up until she died from an egg stuck inside her (too big to get out). Chooks are notorious for not letting on that they are sick because the rest of the flock pick on them and literally chase them out of the flock to protect the rest of the flock.

I let my birds live out their lives, laying or not.

Last season I had one girl who lay nothing but double yolkers right up until she died from an egg stuck inside her (too big to get out). Chooks are notorious for not letting on that they are sick because the rest of the flock pick on them and literally chase them out of the flock to protect the rest of the flock.

I let my birds live out their lives, laying or not.
Poor thing, I can't imagine how uncomfortable that must have been.

Okay, I saw the rheumatologist. He agrees SOMETHING is wrong, he just doesn't know exactly what.

Possible conditions: ehlers danlos, sarcoidosis, lupus, ibd related rheumatic syndrome or fibromyalgia.

We'll hear about it at the end of september when he's spoken to my other doctors about it and done his research. I'm relieved to know I am not imagining things and that the pain is real and not in my head.

Also the good news: my liver is healthy again! 🥳

Last edited:
So the day got off to a really great start, letting our landlord know that ones of his sheep had hung itself at some point recently.... I have no idea how it managed to get it's rear leg trapped in the top two wires on the normal fencing as well as one if it's horns in the normal holes in the fence. It is sheep fencing. It's a set size but some of the sheep can get their heads through the hole and eat the grass on the other side of the fence, it's always greener. Only the sheep with curled horns don't always succeed in getting their heads back through. Some break their necks trying, some give up and if we see them early enough we can help and then there was this one. She decided to somehow get her rear leg trapped and thus hang herself by it. I've seen it happen ad couple of times over the years, but only with red deer or kangaroos jumping a fence and failing to clear it. (The red deer lived but lost a leg, the kangaroo survived because we saw the incident happen).

On the bright side, it did get warm enough today to dry a load of washing (almost dry) and more it's raining again. We needed more rain apparently and it's wet until Monday if the forecast is to be believed...

Which leaves the only other decision. Do I or don't I tell hubby about this season's, local fresh truffles for sale? 1 truffle is about $200 worth, so they sell them in slices... about $25‐30 a slice. Finances are very tight this month because of all my medical bills, but fresh local truffles? :hungry:

So the day got off to a really great start, letting our landlord know that ones of his sheep had hung itself at some point recently.... I have no idea how it managed to get it's rear leg trapped in the top two wires on the normal fencing as well as one if it's horns in the normal holes in the fence. It is sheep fencing. It's a set size but some of the sheep can get their heads through the hole and eat the grass on the other side of the fence, it's always greener. Only the sheep with curled horns don't always succeed in getting their heads back through. Some break their necks trying, some give up and if we see them early enough we can help and then there was this one. She decided to somehow get her rear leg trapped and thus hang herself by it. I've seen it happen ad couple of times over the years, but only with red deer or kangaroos jumping a fence and failing to clear it. (The red deer lived but lost a leg, the kangaroo survived because we saw the incident happen).

On the bright side, it did get warm enough today to dry a load of washing (almost dry) and more it's raining again. We needed more rain apparently and it's wet until Monday if the forecast is to be believed...

Which leaves the only other decision. Do I or don't I tell hubby about this season's, local fresh truffles for sale? 1 truffle is about $200 worth, so they sell them in slices... about $25‐30 a slice. Finances are very tight this month because of all my medical bills, but fresh local truffles? :hungry:
I would go for those truffles, you deserve a treat after all that! :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom