The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wishing everyone a peaceful holiday weekend
Screenshot_20221224_120428_Facebook.jpg

It feels like -12F outside. We have no water. I think the pipes are frozen. I may not be able to cook today or tomorrow. :( :cry:
Yikes! What region of the country are you in, if I may ask?

It’s better here 3F with a windchill of -20F (-15C/-27C), and we’ve been lucky with not losing power or water, though lots of people in the area don’t have power yet.

The weather in the USA and Canada is the lead story on BBC news, it's how widespread the problem is that's got everyone's attention.
msmofet I hope your water problem is fixed soon.
Losing heat is what we fear most, since we have no backup system. We’ve been lucky this time, and our neighborhood is usually the first to lose power.

The small village about 15 minutes south of us has been without power for over 24 hours now. Makes for a miserable day, and especially so at Christmas.

Losing heat is what we fear most, since we have no backup system. We’ve been lucky this time, and our neighborhood is usually the first to lose power.

The small village about 15 minutes south of us has been without power for over 24 hours now. Makes for a miserable day, and especially so at Christmas.
Fingers crossed for you! :hug:

English as a Second Language. I had to sit in on some classes in order to “fix” my pronunciation of vowels, mainly.

In Texas, and other parts of the South, there is a saying that when a Texas/Southerner speaks, people anywhere else automatically deduct 20 IQ points.

Of course, if you speak with a New York city accent in Texas, Texans will automatically add a few felonies, and check to make sure they still have their wallets. :laugh:

I've lived here long enough that I can put on a thick Texas accent when I want to. It is sometimes good for business (or bidness in Texan). I must confess that I slipped into full Texas Twang at a pub in London once to entertain the locals. :D

CD

The weather in the USA and Canada is the lead story on BBC news, it's how widespread the problem is that's got everyone's attention.
msmofet I hope your water problem is fixed soon.

I hope it isn't frozen pipes inside her house. They can burst from the expansion from water to ice, and when they thaw, they leak. :eek: That was a big problaem during the 'Big Freeze" two years ago in Texas. A lot of homes and businesses flooded.

As for the weather here, it is warming up. It is 30F/-1C right now. It has been sunny yesterday and today, so no snow or ice to deal with. Just cold. We should be back to normal for Texas in a couple of days.

CD

In Texas, and other parts of the South, there is a saying that when a Texas/Southerner speaks, people anywhere else automatically deduct 20 IQ points.

Of course, if you speak with a New York city accent in Texas, Texans will automatically add a few felonies, and check to make sure they still have their wallets. :laugh:

I've lived here long enough that I can put on a thick Texas accent when I want to. It is sometimes good for business (or bidness in Texan). I must confess that I slipped into full Texas Twang at a pub in London once to entertain the locals. :D

CD
Accents here have particular associations. The Newcastle accent is often seen as soothing and trustworthy, the Liverpool verion being the complete opposite. The Birmingham accent with its lazy vowels is perceived to convey lower intelligence (like The Texan twang). The accent ftom the South East of England - excluding the stonger East London drone is noted to be more educated and possibly wealthier. With a Scottish accent you are assumed to want your rightful independence from the English oppressors.

Accents here have particular associations. The Newcastle accent is often seen as soothing and trustworthy, the Liverpool verion being the complete opposite. The Birmingham accent with its lazy vowels is perceived to convey lower intelligence (like The Texan twang). The accent ftom the South East of England - excluding the stonger East London drone is noted to be more educated and possibly wealthier. With a Scottish accent you are assumed to want your rightful independence from the English oppressors.

I worked for a Dallas company that was owned by a company in Newcastle. We got along great. We had similar personalities.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom