The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a while now one of my colleagues has been moaning about her son, today off she went again, moan moan moan, another colleague was moaning about her daughter and another about her sister, it was a very negative morning :(

Still, we are now done for 3 days :woot:

Truevision (our satellite TV provider) called today to upgrade our reception (not that we asked). They arrived at 16:40 which was only 20 minutes before the start of the FP3 broadcast from Monte Carlo. They managed to complete the upgrade in 15 minutes!

Truevision (our satellite TV provider) called today to upgrade our reception (not that we asked). They arrived at 16:40 which was only 20 minutes before the start of the FP3 broadcast from Monte Carlo. They managed to complete the upgrade in 15 minutes!
When we first moved here from the UK ,the queue for satellite broadband was months long. (we arrived in May, ordered it really June and were told September.)
The day before it was due to be installed one of the service engineers arrived to have a look around to see what was needed. This was roughly 4:30pm so I didn't really expect anything to happen much. After showing him around, he decided to get on with the job of getting the wiring and fixings in place. By 5pm he was done and even the dish was installed so he made a phone call, and got the service activated. He had us up and running before he left at 5:30pm.

This time last year he arrived on the day it was due to be installed. There was s team of 4 and it took them 4hrs to install it and get it working. He had to do roughly the same amount of work as previously. Both were completely new installs only at this place everything was easier to do, get at and the likes. It just took him twice as long because he had 3 other engineers with him that he had to communicate with and coordinate !

We are off out to the pub later for an evening of comedy.

Lol, I'm getting a bit bored with my local. I'm trying a few more to see if I can find one with better class of people. Don't get me wrong but the one I drink at now is full of miserable tight wads. And they tend to think I provide the entertainment. I can hardly get a seat at my table now, it used to be comfortable for 6 people but people are cramming onto the table now. Up to 12 the other night.

Russ

They had to return today to put it right. Most of it worked but not all. The sports channel worked.

However, I found out something new. Head Office give us a four digit pin number over the phone which the operatives who arrive at the house must confirm.

Is this now normal security internationally?

Lol, I'm getting a bit bored with my local. I'm trying a few more to see if I can find one with better class of people. Don't get me wrong but the one I drink at now is full of miserable tight wads. And they tend to think I provide the entertainment. I can hardly get a seat at my table now, it used to be comfortable for 6 people but people are cramming onto the table now. Up to 12 the other night.

Russ

The good thing about our local is that we know quite a few people so there is always someone to chat with.

Sky tv here can't get enough customers. Netflix has cost them millions.

Russ
Probably but I can only get anything (phone, TV, internet etc) via satellite here (I've never been a Sky customer but know plenty who were).

There was (and still is) a Foxtel dish on the roof of the property I'm in now. We looked at getting the service reactivated but the monthly cost wasn't worth it.

We already had a Netflix account, our issue was simply one of data usage (even on SD). Extensive research, including looking at the cost of a very large TV aerial with built in amplifier (standard inline after market ones are not suitable) to get a TV signal, concluded it was significantly cheaper per month to purchase a much larger data usage deal via the satellite broadband company we use (very limited options for satellite broadband: forget terrestrial broadband, even if we were close enough to a phone comms box, we don't actually have a phone line and we're nowhere near close enough to a small town to be within the required radius to be able to receive terrestrial broadband... ). So now we watch Netflix 24/7, not being able to get anything else. Sticking with Netflix and increasing our data limit saved us around AUD$150 a month (roughly £75pm). Satellite broadband doesn't come unrestricted, nor is it particularly cheap but it's our only connection with the outside world. Thankfully the Australian government dictates priority of installation of satellite broadband to everyone who qualifies (you qualify by not being in range of a local town with terrestrial broadband). It also dictated that installation of the dish and provision of all equipment needed to obtain broadband is free .

We just watched the film Arrival :scratchhead:
When it finished the channel 4 announcer said nope, not a clue.
That pretty much summed it up, noisy music and action, dialogue was whispered or mumbled so missed most of it

The good thing about our local is that we know quite a few people so there is always someone to chat with.

Everyone does know me, that's the problem, they all want to sit at my table. My friend and I are quite funny together and I guess people want to sit with us. Same thing happened at last pub we hung out too. We just want a quiet drink.

Russ

Probably but I can only get anything (phone, TV, internet etc) via satellite here (I've never been a Sky customer but know plenty who were).

There was (and still is) a Foxtel dish on the roof of the property I'm in now. We looked at getting the service reactivated but the monthly cost wasn't worth it.

We already had a Netflix account, our issue was simply one of data usage (even on SD). Extensive research, including looking at the cost of a very large TV aerial with built in amplifier (standard inline after market ones are not suitable) to get a TV signal, concluded it was significantly cheaper per month to purchase a much larger data usage deal via the satellite broadband company we use (very limited options for satellite broadband: forget terrestrial broadband, even if we were close enough to a phone comms box, we don't actually have a phone line and we're nowhere near close enough to a small town to be within the required radius to be able to receive terrestrial broadband... ). So now we watch Netflix 24/7, not being able to get anything else. Sticking with Netflix and increasing our data limit saved us around AUD$150 a month (roughly £75pm). Satellite broadband doesn't come unrestricted, nor is it particularly cheap but it's our only connection with the outside world. Thankfully the Australian government dictates priority of installation of satellite broadband to everyone who qualifies (you qualify by not being in range of a local town with terrestrial broadband). It also dictated that installation of the dish and provision of all equipment needed to obtain broadband is free .

My son has Netflix. The bonus is he has 3 users on the same line and password. He obviously uses 2 and gave me his password. So we get Netflix FREE. Win win. I'm enjoying peaky blinders ATM.

Russ

They had to return today to put it right. Most of it worked but not all. The sports channel worked.

However, I found out something new. Head Office give us a four digit pin number over the phone which the operatives who arrive at the house must confirm.

Is this now normal security internationally?

I too have a 4 digit pin for sky.

Russ

We just watched the film Arrival :scratchhead:
When it finished the channel 4 announcer said nope, not a clue.
That pretty much summed it up, noisy music and action, dialogue was whispered or mumbled so missed most of it

I saw the shorts of an old car movie I loved on my phone this morning, Christine. Bit of a scary movie. I'm watching it tonight. Can't wait.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom