The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@rascal - city parks are a lot more militant about it than the countryside parks are. Our favorite local park for picnicking is a rural park and there are no issues there.

I have every intention of bringing Prosecco, Peroni beer, and a thermos of "improved" coffee. The key is behaving myself otherwise. :)

@rascal - city parks are a lot more militant about it than the countryside parks are. Our favorite local park for picnicking is a rural park and there are no issues there.

I have every intention of bringing Prosecco, Peroni beer, and a thermos of "improved" coffee. The key is behaving myself otherwise. :)

Lol, Peroni is my sons fave beer, I love it as well. He normally brings a box when I BBQ.

Russ

Car repairs today, wife's car wouldn't start last night, I got it going and noticed the battery terminal was rusty and not contacting. Went to parts store and got two terminals. Replaced faulty part. Then wife mentioned the boot wasn't staying up. The strut has come away from the frame. Bit of wire. Job done.

Russ

Just got back from our quarterly-ish shopping run to Jungle Jim's, a legendary international market about 45 minutes from our house.

In addition to our need to replenish our Brit stock, I went ahead and did the regular shopping for the next few days while there. I must admit, their produce section is phenomenal, and considering JJ's started out as an outdoor fruit and veg stand, it's not surprising.

Here's a pic of my haul of British goods (and I threw the Irish butter in there as well). I'll point out that I paid a whopping $3.99US for that six pack of stout. :)

I'll also note my box of 240-count PG Tips regular is completely obscured.
2E15CBAF-C242-4D1D-BD19-4389914A677A.jpeg

Just got back from our quarterly-ish shopping run to Jungle Jim's, a legendary international market about 45 minutes from our house.

In addition to our need to replenish our Brit stock, I went ahead and did the regular shopping for the next few days while there. I must admit, their produce section is phenomenal, and considering JJ's started out as an outdoor fruit and veg stand, it's not surprising.

Here's a pic of my haul of British goods (and I threw the Irish butter in there as well). I'll point out that I paid a whopping $3.99US for that six pack of stout. :)

View attachment 29998

I note the marrowfat peas... @Yorky would be proud of you...

View attachment 29998

Hobnobs?

A couple of days ago we were roasting in the heat, today it is pouring with rain and strong winds.

A couple of days ago we were roasting in the heat, today it is pouring with rain and strong winds.
Both my sister and my parents are complaining about the rain (or weather in general) right now.

I'd just like some rain personally. We've officially had just over 4mm of rain this month. The monthly July average is more than 10 times that amount in excess of 40mm for here. Given that we can easily have that in just a day, there's still a chance but im not holding my breath. The drought officially still continues.

20f41cb5-b123-408c-b6e1-baaa14d59ebc-jpeg.jpg

“I went out to get coffee - yards of coffee. Rich, strong, bitter, boiling hot, ruthless, depraved. The life blood of tired men.” * - Raymond Chandler.

It's not just me, lots of people find Starbucks Coffee bitter to drink.

I'll walk down Main Street in Disneyland with a cup of coffee before rope drop and the number one question people ask me is where they too can "get non-Starbucks coffee." "It's the coffee and donut cart to the left of the castle if you're facing it" I tell them. Not always open before rope drop BTW.

Disneyland for decades served Hills Brothers, then Farmer Bros, I dunno what brand it is now, someone said Lavazza but damfino. Starbucks is served all over the Disneyland resort, but you can find other brands too.

“I'm killing time and it's dying hard.” *

Late last night the house was quiet and I decided to go out for some coffee. Here, the only late night/early morning places that have it are the few 24 hr donut shops run by angry Asians. Mad at the world, they serve me grudgingly then vanish to the back room and resume making donuts.

One donut place a large coffee and two donuts is almost $9, the other location it's $3. Damfino why.

“It was as hollow and empty as the spaces between stars.” *

Sitting in these shops in the middle of the night is like something in a Raymond Chandler story. Cold, hard and bright, shopworn, echoing, lonely.
"He looked about as inconspicuous as a tarantula on a slice of angel food cake.*

A young mother came in about 2 AM with two kids and ordered the foot shaped cream filled pastries.

do-foot.jpg

“She gave me a smile I could feel in my hip pocket.” *

The Asian owner got worked up when she first asked her kids: "Do you want a chocolate or butterscotch stinky foot?" It irritated the donut shop guy furthur and he told her "that's not what they are called."

The exception to the Angry Asian theory is a sweet little Japanese lady runs a local donut shop that opens at 5AM. Her reach-in refrigerators run on the old and impossible to find, nor afford if you do find it R 12 refrigerant.
They were both down and she was sweating the cost of new units. The leaks were fixed by her nephew, but no R12 to recharge the systems.

Well, the TPC still had a few cans and I gave her one the next day for her nephew to charge the system and keep it on hand.
Appreciative as all get out, she now wants to always comp my coffee and donuts. I kinda avoid the place now. Too much appreciation, it just ain't right.

Last edited:
“It was as hollow and empty as the spaces between stars.” *
Sitting in these shops in the middle of the night is like something in a Raymond Chandler story. Cold, hard and bright, shopworn, echoing, lonely.
"He looked about as inconspicuous as a tarantula on a slice of angel food cake.”*

Love this!

So you are in Disneyland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom