The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We saw one late at night while driving inland to Caloundra Aus,it came right over us. No reports in the paper next day though.

Russ
hubby found some reports on this one within an hour of it happening. I was on the phone to him when it happened and actually swore out loud because it hurt my eyes so much.
There's a meteorite shower that's meant to peak this weekend in the southern hemisphere -

hubby found some reports on this one within an hour of it happening. I was on the phone to him when it happened and actually swore out loud because it hurt my eyes so much.
There's a meteorite shower that's meant to peak this weekend in the southern hemisphere -

This was about 15 ? Years ago, no giggle then I don't think. Pre Google.?? My wife and I watched it overhead then disappear .

Russ

This was about 15 ? Years ago, no giggle then I don't think. Pre Google.?? My wife and I watched it overhead then disappear .

Russ
no, a couple of nights ago! when I took this picture . Taken from the top of my septic tank (always a good place to sit down in the garden - its an old one with a concrete lid).
IMG_0125.JPG

30 sec exposure hence the discolouration of some of the stars and the movement rather than being oof. The big bright thing is Saturn.

no, a couple of nights ago! when I took this picture . Taken from the top of my septic tank (always a good place to sit down in the garden - its an old one with a concrete lid).
View attachment 29953

30 sec exposure hence the discolouration of some of the stars and the movement rather than being oof. The big bright thing is Saturn.

I've got an app on my phone where you point it upwards and it tells you where the planets are, called starlight.

Russ

I've got an app on my phone where you point it upwards and it tells you where the planets are, called starlight.

Russ
I found a fantastic website that does something similar but you can overlay all sorts from comets to the milky way. I'm on the laptop at the moment, not the phone so can't give you the address :(

Yesterday was stupidly hot, we had the fan on in the lounge last night because there was no air, there was a light shower over night and it is fresher and cooler today but still quite sticky.

Yesterday my colleague gave me a lift home-no way was I going to walk in that! I really appreciate her giving me a lift but her car is a mess... the ash tray is full to over flowing, butts and ash everywhere, empty pop cans rolling around on the floor, paper, envelopes etc... She doesn't spend much on her car- as long as it gets her from a-b that is all she cares about.

It is expected that the air temperature at Hockenheim will reach 39 degC during this weekend's Grand Prix. Track temperature of 60 degC.

Mercedes are praying for rain.

I have August 2nd off, and the wife and I are going into the city to see an Egyptian exhibit before it leaves town.

As a surprise, I'm planning a proper picnic. We usually picnic three or four times a summer, but she had to have surgery right at the beginning (eyes) and her recovery has been good, but slow, and it's been a lot of "take it easy," so we haven't really done anything at all the entire summer, and she's been a bit depressed over it.

Hence, the picnic. I'm going with Italian nibbles, and I've picked a park with legendary views over the city (it's Cincinnati, so that's kind of like saying "legendary views over an armpit - though I love Cincy, I really do!).

The worst part, though...the park doesn't have its rules/regs posted, and most parks here strongly forbid bringing in your own alcohol, and to get caught is a hefty fine, but there's no way I'm not having Prosecco on my picnic, dammit!

I suppose I'll call them, but even if they say no, I'll be sorely tempted. Another downside I lay at the feet of our Puritan founders. :mad:

So glad it is payday, just been to the optician for an eye test and sunglasses, my prescription has changed so I need new glasses and the same prescription for my sun glasses :ohmy:

The company I work for will pay for the eye test itself thankfully.

^^^ Our vision insurance at work is a joke. It's cheap, but the only eye place that takes it is Walmart. We went that route exactly one time.

Now, I just opt out of the vision insurance and upped my spending account contribution to cover glasses. Now, though, after eye surgery last month, a side benefit is that my wife will never need glasses again, apart from drugstore readers.

Of course, medical insurance covered the surgery, but not the deluxe lens replacement. That was out of pocket. :(

I suppose I'll call them, but even if they say no, I'll be sorely tempted.

Might be best not to call them! They might lay waiting for you...

If it wasn't Prosecco I'd suggest decanting it into a plastic bottle. Then it just looks like fruit juice, But obviously this doesn't work with bubbly. Maybe if it was carefully hidden in a cool bag? Best to pick a secluded part of the park too!

It is expected that the air temperature at Hockenheim will reach 39 degC during this weekend's Grand Prix. Track temperature of 60 degC.

Mercedes are praying for rain.

I love motor racing as well, saw a few greats as a teenager and in my 20s. We had a race here called lady wigram cup. Some great winners.

Russ

I have August 2nd off, and the wife and I are going into the city to see an Egyptian exhibit before it leaves town.

As a surprise, I'm planning a proper picnic. We usually picnic three or four times a summer, but she had to have surgery right at the beginning (eyes) and her recovery has been good, but slow, and it's been a lot of "take it easy," so we haven't really done anything at all the entire summer, and she's been a bit depressed over it.

Hence, the picnic. I'm going with Italian nibbles, and I've picked a park with legendary views over the city (it's Cincinnati, so that's kind of like saying "legendary views over an armpit - though I love Cincy, I really do!).

The worst part, though...the park doesn't have its rules/regs posted, and most parks here strongly forbid bringing in your own alcohol, and to get caught is a hefty fine, but there's no way I'm not having Prosecco on my picnic, dammit!

I suppose I'll call them, but even if they say no, I'll be sorely tempted. Another downside I lay at the feet of our Puritan founders. :mad:

Break the rules, I do it all the time, I find it exhilarating. I mean who puts a sign on a million dollar motor bike saying
" no touching". I'm always going to touch that. I'm currently watching an Egyptian series where they are excavating tombs. I'm really intrigued.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom