The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's got even spookier now. I went to let the dog out into the garden. Both the other cats were curled up asleep, one on the window ledge and one of the back of the sofa. When I came back in, neither cat had moved, yet my handbag was in the middle of the floor - another thing Polly liked to play with. The dog wouldn't come back in, and even when I enticed him in with some treats, he went straight back to the back door when he'd eaten them.

Blimey!

One month of winter left, high of nine today but at least the suns out. Can't wait for spring.

Russ

I'll trade with you. The weather here has been about 100 degrees for days. Not long ago, we had 2 earthquakes. I watched the water in the pool slosh back and forth in the "shake 'n bake" State, after I held on to the refrigerator.

Last edited:
I'll trade with you. The weather here has been about 100 degrees for days. Not long ago, we had 2 earthquakes. I watched the water in the pool slosh back and forth in the "shake 'n bake" State, after I held on to the refrigerator.
I've 'done' one earthquake (in Turkey, a minor one). You can keep them.

I grew up in a place prone to earth tremors. Old mineshafts would suddenly and without warning collapse. Holes would just open up. Mostly in fields, but sometimes in town centres or in residential areas. Sides of buildings or sometimes the entire house if it was a 1 up, 1 down, would just collapse or even vanish into the hole. I distinctly remember as a kid seeing holes in the road that just appeared, houses just gone (occupants dead), and sides of homes propped up. I can clearly remember the rumbling noises, the house shaking, the plates falling off the walls (my mother collected blue and white) and cracks appearing in the walls.
You can keep it all.

I grew up in a place prone to earth tremors. Old mineshafts would suddenly and without warning collapse. Holes would just open up. Mostly in fields, but sometimes in town centres or in residential areas. Sides of buildings or sometimes the entire house if it was a 1 up, 1 down, would just collapse or even vanish into the hole. I distinctly remember as a kid seeing holes in the road that just appeared, houses just gone (occupants dead), and sides of homes propped up. I can clearly remember the rumbling noises, the house shaking, the plates falling off the walls (my mother collected blue and white) and cracks appearing in the walls.
You can keep it all.

Ugh. I don't want them. Never get used to them. No damage like the big one about 20 years ago. The big heavy TVs (back then) fell forward, my door chimes flew across the room, dishes and medicine cabinet contents fell forward. Neighbor's chimneys and building rubble were in the streets. This one was a big shaker, but not close to the one in the 90s. Thank goodness.

Last edited:

We had thousands of quakes here 2011 killed about 180? I think, had a beauty last week, 4.1 shook my home a bit, I was upstairs as well so it seemed worse. You must be used to them as well.?

Russ

You can keep it all.

It's part of life here now, we are on a fault line.

Russ

Ugh. I don't want them. Never get used to them. No damage like the big one about 20 years ago. The big heavy TVs (back then) fell forward, my door chimes flew across the room, dishes and medicine cabinet contents fell forward. Neighbor's chimneys and building rubble were in the streets. This one was a big shaker, but not close to the one in the 90s. Thank goodness.

Ours were 6.4 then 7.1. The 6.4 was early morning and sounded like a freight train in our bedroom, I woke to the sound and my wife holding my shoulder screaming, I told her it's an earthquake, it will stop in a few seconds. It didn't , it went for about a minute or so.

Russ

Our numbers were similar. I kept thinking it will stop soon, but it seemed to go on and on. After awhile, I looked outside. Some neighbors were outside too. We all looked at one another like what should we do next? It finally stopped. Very scary feeling. Glad you and yours are okay.

Our numbers were similar. I kept thinking it will stop soon, but it seemed to go on and on. After awhile, I looked outside. Some neighbors were outside too. We all looked at one another like what should we do next? It finally stopped. Very scary feeling. Glad you and yours are okay.

Nothing apart from a few cracks. Family lived here for a while, daughter was 6 months, her house was destroyed.
It's hard to explain unless you have experienced.

Russ

We had thousands of quakes here 2011 killed about 180? I think, had a beauty last week, 4.1 shook my home a bit, I was upstairs as well so it seemed worse. You must be used to them as well.?

Russ

We haven't had one in quite awhile, but they do happen too often for me. I call it the shake and bake State. I wanted to go back to new York on flat ground. Lol. Wherever you go, it's something Tornados, hurricanes. What can you do. Not much. Fasten your seatbelt & Hold on. I bought more bottled water. Lol

Last edited:
Two days until my first 4 day festival ever, and I am 31. I am disabled so have never been able to go before, but now accomodations have been made for me to go. So exited!

Did you not go due to lack of access and facilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom