The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was for a Hallmark movie.

I don't know if you get those there, but Hallmark (associated with the greeting card company) has a network (three or four, actually), and they specialize in overly-sappy and extremely formulaic romance movies, and they go all-out at Christmas - overly-sappy and extremely formulaic romance movies in a Christmas setting.

They have three formulas:

1. Poor girl (maid, waitress, and/or single mom) falls in love and marries handsome billionaire and/or prince, despite the best efforts of his wicked sister/ex-fiancé.

2. Small-town girl leaves family behind to move to the big city, to marry her real estate developer/lawyer/stockbroker boyfriend (who happens to be a world-class jerk) and/or to start a powerful new job, only to discover her childhood sweetheart, who is a puppy-rescuer/candy maker/orphan wrangler, has loved her from afar for decades, and surprise...she realizes she loves him as well.

3. The reverse of that, ambitious-but-nice woman goes to a small town to manage the hostile takeover of the local cookie business by the global foods conglomerate she works for, only to fall in love with the hunky small-town veterinarian, who's a widow, but has a precious 7yo daughter who works behind the scenes to get them together, usually with the help of that nice old man who owns the hot chocolate stand at the Christmas Fair, who just happens to be...Santa.

They make about 30 of these movies every year, and part of the charm is that it's where old TV stars of yesteryear go to finish their careers. It's a good way to catch up on that hottie or hunkie you were in love with in the '80's, because now she's/he's playing the mature-but-still-hot grandma/grandpa.

They also do a lot of gimmicks. A big one this year is reuniting the four principal actors of a popular '80's sitcom.

Yes, I know the genre perfectly and it is those films that I call films to fill moments of emptiness with another void, but with lots of sugar ... I know Hallmark, I didn't know it also had this "behind the scenes"

Let's say it's those kinds of comedy that once you've looked, you ask yourself then "what did I look at"?

I love monday mornings, my most quiet morning of the week 🤗

Monday's are normally the busiest for me especially yesterday. Due to the clocks being changed, the clock machines don't automatically change so I had to change them then change everyone's clock- in and go back 1 hour, then I had to change the time on the main phone that sits on my desk-this doesn't change automatically either :rolleyes:

Overnight temp here was a stunning 12°C instead the 8°C forecast . In case no-one has no-one has worked it out, it's a weird time of year here. Anything upto 35°C is possible, but so are frosts. We're one forecast for next week. Hoping it doesn't happen because I've started to plant my seedlings out. They need their feet in soil now.

Last week I had to go to the opticians. I needed a new pair of ordinary glasses, which I wear mainly for watching TV and driving, and a new pair of reading glasses but they won't be ready until 5th November. Yesterday I managed to break my current glasses and because of where the break is they may not be repairable. So now I am stuck indoors except for the odd very local dog walk or sitting about 3 feet away from the TV. Fun and games all round.

Overnight temp here was a stunning 12°C instead the 8°C forecast . In case no-one has no-one has worked it out, it's a weird time of year here. Anything upto 35°C is possible, but so are frosts. We're one forecast for next week. Hoping it doesn't happen because I've started to plant my seedlings out. They need their feet in soil now.

We're at the same stage as you.

Russ

Just back from a morning of 3 medical appointments. For once 2 of them were hubby's. They were the first 2. X rays of both ankles in various standing positions. Then to see the surgeon to confirm the go ahead for surgery on his worst ankle and to answer our questions (well mostly mine, but there were things we needed to know because of me and my issues and not least of all how long before he can return to work, drive and all that because it has a major impact on how we'll need to plan things. He'll be off work for at least 4 weeks per ankle. Rehab can't start until after 6 weeks because of the joint having to be fused. Plus we'll have all sorts of fun and games such as him being on clexane when he comes out (I had 6 months on it recently injecting twice daily, so it's my turn to use him as a dart board.) He'll be home a week before my patents arrive from the UK. They will be helping me out for 3 weeks with things like the shopping. They do know. That will get us 5 weeks post op before they leave.
The new sofas (2 doubles and a single seater chair, all electric recliners in cloth) arrive in January.
So we're pretty much sorted now. Just got to get the operation code numbers for the insurance and then it's a case of getting him fitter and a tad leaner for the op, and through the pre-op assessment...

My ultrasound was for another cortisone injection into my shoulder to try to heal the torn muscle, bursitis and thickened tendons without an operation. My doctor thinks I'm just putting off the inevitable sadly, but I need to get a neural stimulator trial organised (kind of like a tens machine just hard wired into the spinal cord and light years ahead of the tens machine in technology) and that's a minimum of 2 operations, 1 to fit the trial and remove it 2 weeks later and if it's been successful then ideally they fit the permanent one at the same time...) So with 2 general anesthetics on the cards as it is, I'm trying hard to avoid a 3rd, not least of all because of the risk of more pulmonary emboli and out all having to be completed before hubby goes in at the beginning of February!

It's nearly 9pm. It's been dark for 1¼-1½hrs now. It's still 22°C outside! I don't know what it is meant to be tomorrow, but we're due frosts again next week... ahhhhh.

Hum. It's meant to be 10°C come dawn. That's a lot to lose. Another 33°C day tomorrow as well.

Think I'll be getting up early to garden for tomorrow and Saturday. Get in before the rain on Sunday (not to mention swimming...)

It's 59F/19C, but dropping, on its way to an overnight low of 29F/-3C, so first freeze of the season coming. Rainy and blustery today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom