The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're moving into my favorite month of the year (November), as far as weather goes around these parts.

I'm not saying that it doesn't get a bit chilly here. Last dry season we had lows of 24°C (daytime) and 15°C night time.

Scary time double-feature!

...with my favorite scream queen Barbara Steele.

ETA: I realize I mistyped - it's Barbara Shelley, not Barbara Steele. Barbara Shelley is my second favorite scream queen. :)

Last edited:
22 deg c here, 26 tomorrow . My kind of weather. Busy day today, sat here. Just put my bets on. Horse racing at Riccarton park. 15 mins from. Mates horse is in. He names it. The sire is guillotine. They named it sharp and silver. Cool name.

Russ

If it was for Trading Places, well done.
If not, well done however! :laugh:
It was for a Hallmark movie.

I don't know if you get those there, but Hallmark (associated with the greeting card company) has a network (three or four, actually), and they specialize in overly-sappy and extremely formulaic romance movies, and they go all-out at Christmas - overly-sappy and extremely formulaic romance movies in a Christmas setting.

They have three formulas:

1. Poor girl (maid, waitress, and/or single mom) falls in love and marries handsome billionaire and/or prince, despite the best efforts of his wicked sister/ex-fiancé.

2. Small-town girl leaves family behind to move to the big city, to marry her real estate developer/lawyer/stockbroker boyfriend (who happens to be a world-class jerk) and/or to start a powerful new job, only to discover her childhood sweetheart, who is a puppy-rescuer/candy maker/orphan wrangler, has loved her from afar for decades, and surprise...she realizes she loves him as well.

3. The reverse of that, ambitious-but-nice woman goes to a small town to manage the hostile takeover of the local cookie business by the global foods conglomerate she works for, only to fall in love with the hunky small-town veterinarian, who's a widow, but has a precious 7yo daughter who works behind the scenes to get them together, usually with the help of that nice old man who owns the hot chocolate stand at the Christmas Fair, who just happens to be...Santa.

They make about 30 of these movies every year, and part of the charm is that it's where old TV stars of yesteryear go to finish their careers. It's a good way to catch up on that hottie or hunkie you were in love with in the '80's, because now she's/he's playing the mature-but-still-hot grandma/grandpa.

They also do a lot of gimmicks. A big one this year is reuniting the four principal actors of a popular '80's sitcom.

I think it's called "giving the audience what they want". Some women just don't get enough romance in their life and they have to live vicariously through others.

It was for a Hallmark movie.

I don't know if you get those there, but Hallmark (associated with the greeting card company) has a network (three or four, actually), and they specialize in overly-sappy and extremely formulaic romance movies, and they go all-out at Christmas - overly-sappy and extremely formulaic romance movies in a Christmas setting.
They rebranded the Hallmark channel in the UK. It's now called Universal. The main channel has stuff like CSI, NCIS and Law and Order on it. I don't know what their movie channels are called now and don't particularly care :D

They rebranded the Hallmark channel in the UK. It's now called Universal. The main channel has stuff like CSI, NCIS and Law and Order on it. I don't know what their movie channels are called now and don't particularly care :D
Truth is, I don't mind watching them, but after about 37 of them, they get a little tiring. If I had a billion dollars, I'd make the sappiest one I could, and halfway through, Krampus would show up and eat them all. 👹

Having trouble opening Netflix. Very annoying last night not getting it to open. I've sent to reset my password. Grrrr.

Russ
We have to constantly reset our router, four or five times a day. Our network constantly goes down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom