The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking of eggs, I'm missing a chook this evening. Simply isn't here. If she doesn't show in the morning, she's fox fodder sadly. Shame she was my new one to replace a death (natural causes) and we were just beginning to make progress with her. That's the risk you take free ranging though sadly. But it also means that I'll have to keep all of the others locked up (behind the electric fence) for a while whilst the fox is dissuaded from watching here. So if we're not about in the garden, they are not going to be able to free range. :(

Yip, we didn't get hail though, just rain. Thank heavens!

Russ

Thankfully, hail storms tend to be very local. We get a lot of them here, with sizes ranging from pea size to baseball size. But, a hailstorm can hit one neighborhood hard, and not touch a neighborhood a few blocks away.

I've only been hit by the big stuff twice. The first one nearly destroyed my new Mustang GT. The body looked like the surface of the moon. The second one tore up the roof of my house.

Insurance in Texas is pretty expensive, because of hail damage claims.

CD

She's home. :woot:
Technically she never left. At some point she managed to get trapped in the garage. The door was only open 3 times yesterday. Twice only long enough for me to walk through, the third time long enough for me to get 2 handfuls of grain and seed for the chooks. I spotted her this morning because of some flat looking chook shit on the floor in there where I wasn't expecting any to be. She was in the rafters, but even searching there would not have found her because the rafters hold all the flat moving boxes so act as another floor and would have hidden anything not wanting to be found.... unsurprisingly she's not very inclined to go into the garage this morning for food where the only cage is that I can recapture her in! She'll have to spend the morning out by herself and cross get legs for laying until this afternoon!

She's home. :woot:
Technically she never left. At some point she managed to get trapped in the garage. The door was only open 3 times yesterday. Twice only long enough for me to walk through, the third time long enough for me to get 2 handfuls of grain and seed for the chooks. I spotted her this morning because of some flat looking chook shoot on the floor in there where I wasn't expecting any to be. She was in the rafters, but even searching there would not have found her because the rafters hold all the flat moving boxes so act as another floor and would have hidden anything not wanting to be found.... unsurprisingly she's not very inclined to go into the garage this morning for food where the only cage is that I can recapture her in! She'll have to spend the morning out by herself and cross get legs for laying until this afternoon!

:thumbsup:

Thankfully, hail storms tend to be very local. We get a lot of them here, with sizes ranging from pea size to baseball size. But, a hailstorm can hit one neighborhood hard, and not touch a neighborhood a few blocks away.

I've only been hit by the big stuff twice. The first one nearly destroyed my new Mustang GT. The body looked like the surface of the moon. The second one tore up the roof of my house.

Insurance in Texas is pretty expensive, because of hail damage claims.

CD

Sounds much the same here, we had a real bad hail here about 10 years ago, car yards had massive claims. My 66 notchback was in the garage, thankfully.

Russ

Grrr. Its 39°C outside.
First 40°C of the season had been hit.
This is in the shade.

We're due your heat in next few days, predicted 30deg c tomorrow.

Russ
It's been a few years since our temperatures hit 40°C. If I remember correctly it was the year that we installed the first aircon (2004).

It's currently 31°C.
We're due 32-34°C for the next few days but if it clouds over tonight, it will stay warmer.

Storms are due, dust in the air and all sorts already. Too warm to even consider eating this evening. Must get the fans out of the garage. Don't have air con and last Thursday (or may be Wednesday) it was 4°C in the morning and we still had the fire lit!

We're due 32-34°C for the next few days but if it clouds over tonight, it will stay warmer.

Storms are due, dust in the air and all sorts already. Too warm to even consider eating this evening. Must get the fans out of the garage. Don't have air con and last Thursday (or may be Wednesday) it was 4°C in the morning and we still had the fire lit!

We have air con. Thanks god

Russ

We have air con. Thanks god

Russ
Rural houses with aircon are few and far between. Usually the have just been renovated and the owners are asking much more in rent than we can afford.

There are few days a year where the temperature hits 40°C (or more). Most of the time it's mid to high 30°C's so that's not too bad, though lady night was a challenge because it was still 22°C when we got up this morning. Yuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom