The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need a very large auditorium, because he turns the whole room into a string instrument, with strings around 100 foot long. A Texas mega church works just fine.

If you ever get the chance, go see his show.

Well - you might just drag me into a church to see/hear that. Last time I went to church was..... well, actually I have never been to church. I'm not christened either. I've been inside churches to look around them, of course.

Windigo - sorry to hear that and I hope you're getting everything under control.

If you're still trying to work with food/cooking in some capacity, is being a personal chef an option, either cooking out of your own kitchen or the kitchens of clients. I'd think it'd be less cooking in a week compared to a restaurant kitchen in one night.

Personal chefs are all the rage in my area right now, and they usually make a week's worth of meals (or a set number of meals) in one go, to be tossed in the fridge/freezer and heated up later.

Also, a lot of the personal chefs double up as instructors at local cooking classes. These aren't classes like in a culinary institute, much more informal, and that might work for you, too.

Either way, good luck!

Windigo - sorry to hear that and I hope you're getting everything under control.

If you're still trying to work with food/cooking in some capacity, is being a personal chef an option, either cooking out of your own kitchen or the kitchens of clients. I'd think it'd be less cooking in a week compared to a restaurant kitchen in one night.

Personal chefs are all the rage in my area right now, and they usually make a week's worth of meals (or a set number of meals) in one go, to be tossed in the fridge/freezer and heated up later.

Also, a lot of the personal chefs double up as instructors at local cooking classes. These aren't classes like in a culinary institute, much more informal, and that might work for you, too.

Either way, good luck!

Well we're hoping to start a small food business from home in the future indeed, but right no we're working on figuring out what type of astma it is and what triggers it most. So far changing temperatures seem to affect my breathing a lot, which is not a very good place to be in to work in a kitchen.

When it's been throughouly checked and specified I can get the right medicine and things will probably pick up from there, but much is uncertain at this point because most of my tests and check ups at the hospital will be in january. After that we'll hopefully have a better idea of what to expect for the future.

The added problem is of course, astma is my fourth auto-immune condition and at some point there's just a limit on what you can handle so we just have to see how much will be realistic depending on the above.

Well we're hoping to start a small food business from home in the future indeed, but right no we're working on figuring out what type of astma it is and what triggers it most. So far changing temperatures seem to affect my breathing a lot, which is not a very good place to be in to work in a kitchen.

When it's been throughouly checked and specified I can get the right medicine and things will probably pick up from there, but much is uncertain at this point because most of my tests and check ups at the hospital will be in january. After that we'll hopefully have a better idea of what to expect for the future.

The added problem is of course, astma is my fourth auto-immune condition and at some point there's just a limit on what you can handle so we just have to see how much will be realistic depending on the above.
I've mentioned before that my wife has a lot of medical issues - auto-immune disorder (myositis), stroke, and now heart attack.

She continued to work outside the home after her myositis diagnosis (2010) because after about a year, she began to respond to treatment, but that changed after her stroke, and because she could no longer work a full day in one go, she was let go and had to find an alternate means of employment.

She ended up establishing her own travel consultancy, so to speak, working out of the house, and she's the sole employee. What that allows her to do, for the most part, is work when she feels up to working, and taking one or more days off when she's going through a bad patch with her health.

Truthfully, she doesn't earn a lot of money now, and we rely on my job for health insurance, but it does give her a sense of contributing and of fulfillment, and she's to the point now, after six years, of actually turning work down because she's just one person and with her health issues, she can't really work the standard amount of hours or the standard work week any more.

Keep that in mind, if that somehow mirrors your situation at all. It becomes very easy to think that we're all supposed to work at least 40 hours a week (or whatever the standard is there) and anything less than that is somehow failing, but it can definitely work out. We had to make some lifestyle changes, and now we live a bit differently, as opposed to living worse. :)

Good luck with your tests in January!

I'm stopping my voluntary work in a kitchen. As many of you know I'm a professionally trained chef, but I also have a few serious disabilities. And recently I've been diagnosed with a fourth auto-immune condition, namely Astma. And that's making it really hard for me to work in a kitchen, I just can't deal with the loads of steam and heat because my breathing becomes too laboured.

So unfortunately I can't work anymore, but I am lucky to have a very supportive husband who'll help me find a way to set up some kind of business at home. From now on my life will be centered much around the home, it already was but now my voluntary work at the soup kitchen restaurant stops too.

I am ok with it, it was getting too hard for me so I am just glad I have a great husband who helps me through this.
Hey, sorry to hear this.

I too have a number of medical conditions including asthma which I've had all my life. My asthma can be very challenging at times (such as currently) and I did used to let it stop me but I stopped allowing it to prevent me from doing what I wanted to do many years ago.
I have chronic asthma by the way. It is exercise induced, allergy induced and what has known as brittle asthma. I can go from totally fine to literally dying from it in a matter of moments. I've been resuscitated twice add a direct result of asthma attacks and been told (in the UK) that i won't survive a 3rd time. Needless to say right now that the smoke issues from all of the fires around us is causing lots of problems. Usually I take 3 inhalers, 1 nebulizer drug and 4 lots of tablets daily to try to control it. With the fires, it's 3 inhalers, 3 separate meds to nebulise and 4 lots of tablets. It's only just controlled right now and I'm getting asthma attacks daily.

My asthma also means that I have to avoid certain medications, such as aspirin and ibuprofen. These are called NSAIDs or Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs. It is very common with asthmatics to find that these drugs make matters much worse. That's been very difficult over the years because of the need to treat inflammation from injuries and other medical conditions and means that I can't take any anti-inflammatory meds for my osteoarthritis.

It is also very common to find that dairy (in any form) makes symptoms much worse and contributes to constant chest, throat and nasal infections. Colds and flu are really difficult to get over and staying off dairy during a chest infection (which lasted 8 weeks) lasted how we found out about my developing allergy to dairy back when I was just 20 yrs old.

I've now several other major medical conditions in addition to chronic asthma and OA, back and neck issues from spinal deformities and Addison's disease, so I fully understand how overwhelming finding another new condition can be. This month I found out about my advanced osteoarthritis and that within 2-5 years I'll need to have both hips replaced (so before I'm 50!). I wasn't overly impressed!

Best of luck with it. It can be challenging but staying fit and active and not letting it control you is the best thing you can do.

I'm stopping my voluntary work in a kitchen. As many of you know I'm a professionally trained chef, but I also have a few serious disabilities. And recently I've been diagnosed with a fourth auto-immune condition, namely Astma. And that's making it really hard for me to work in a kitchen, I just can't deal with the loads of steam and heat because my breathing becomes too laboured.

So unfortunately I can't work anymore, but I am lucky to have a very supportive husband who'll help me find a way to set up some kind of business at home. From now on my life will be centered much around the home, it already was but now my voluntary work at the soup kitchen restaurant stops too.

I am ok with it, it was getting too hard for me so I am just glad I have a great husband who helps me through this.
Back in the 1950’s my mother (me mum) used to sell mail order Shortbread in tins.
She made good money.
Just a thought for a home business.

What a difference a day makes. Yesterday at this time I was walking my dog in sunny and 70F weather. Right now, it is overcast and 37F.

But, I just booked a new photoshoot, and will be going to New Orleans tomorrow. :hungry:

CD

We did a 70 mile off highway vehicle poker run in the desert.
Every 12 to 15 miles their is a stop and you draw a playing card.
At the end those with the best poker hands win nice donate prizes.

It’s $50 buy in per hand and the money goes to a local charity. 750 poker hands sold and countless additional raffle tickets. Plus all kinds of other fundraising stuff.

We cooked this evenings meal for our group in the pleasant 65f Arizona night.
Our kids:
View attachment 35697
———————- —————- —————-
Last night the entire poker runs dinner was catered out in the desert by the Salvation Army’s Southwest disaster unit.
I believe they received the proceeds and dinner tickets were an additional $12 too.
Fresh potatoes, cole slaw, seasoned chicken and casseroles, Brauts, franks, and chili.

I checked out their compact Mobil kitchen operation and the Salvation Army has it down pat. Out in the middle of nowhere they put on a good meal.

Lucky kids, we never had treats like that growing up. Lol. I have a friend that runs poker runs as well. They raise money as well for charities.

Russ

Russ

Hey, sorry to hear this.

I too have a number of medical conditions including asthma which I've had all my life. My asthma can be very challenging at times (such as currently) and I did used to let it stop me but I stopped allowing it to prevent me from doing what I wanted to do many years ago.
I have chronic asthma by the way. It is exercise induced, allergy induced and what has known as brittle asthma. I can go from totally fine to literally dying from it in a matter of moments. I've been resuscitated twice add a direct result of asthma attacks and been told (in the UK) that i won't survive a 3rd time. Needless to say right now that the smoke issues from all of the fires around us is causing lots of problems. Usually I take 3 inhalers, 1 nebulizer drug and 4 lots of tablets daily to try to control it. With the fires, it's 3 inhalers, 3 separate meds to nebulise and 4 lots of tablets. It's only just controlled right now and I'm getting asthma attacks daily.

My asthma also means that I have to avoid certain medications, such as aspirin and ibuprofen. These are called NSAIDs or Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs. It is very common with asthmatics to find that these drugs make matters much worse. That's been very difficult over the years because of the need to treat inflammation from injuries and other medical conditions and means that I can't take any anti-inflammatory meds for my osteoarthritis.

It is also very common to find that dairy (in any form) makes symptoms much worse and contributes to constant chest, throat and nasal infections. Colds and flu are really difficult to get over and staying off dairy during a chest infection (which lasted 8 weeks) lasted how we found out about my developing allergy to dairy back when I was just 20 yrs old.

I've now several other major medical conditions in addition to chronic asthma and OA, back and neck issues from spinal deformities and Addison's disease, so I fully understand how overwhelming finding another new condition can be. This month I found out about my advanced osteoarthritis and that within 2-5 years I'll need to have both hips replaced (so before I'm 50!). I wasn't overly impressed!

Best of luck with it. It can be challenging but staying fit and active and not letting it control you is the best thing you can do.

We have our daughter staying here for a few months, her hip replacement was 2 weeks ago, she started driving today, her hip went real well. No more pain. Good luck with your health, you appear to be eating all the good things you need. :)

Russ

Sorry to hear this...I hope that all will go better for you

Hey, sorry to hear this.

I have the same with the NSAIDS it's common for most autoimmune conditions to have to avoid them. I have reuma too so I know the difficulty with being unable to use them, but I get a small amount of tramadol for the worst pain. I am going to get an allergy check up too to see if the asmatic symptoms are related to allergies, thanks for mentioning your experience.

Really awful to have to get both your hips replaced! That sounds like a very difficult recovery. I've had my colon removed because of Ulcerative Colitis and still have difficult consequences from that (and a hernia on my stomach) so I know my bit about difficult surgeries and recovery. Hope it will be easier than it seems for you.

Staying active is a good thing, but how much of it is realistic depends on a lot of factors. For me, working in a kitchen with my hernia and astma combined is currently not possible. The hernia is permanent and can only get worse with time, and means another surgery in the future with a 80% chance of a new hernia developing so doing something now does not help much. I am not allowed to lift more than the weight of a kettle, so that limits a lot of things but I don't want to further aggravate the hernia.

For now I first really need to know the outcome of the different tests and then see what is possible in consultation with my doctor.

We have our daughter staying here for a few months, her hip replacement was 2 weeks ago, she started driving today, her hip went real well. No more pain. Good luck with your health, you appear to be eating all the good things you need. :)

Russ

Oh that's great to hear!

Keep that in mind, if that somehow mirrors your situation at all. It becomes very easy to think that we're all supposed to work at least 40 hours a week (or whatever the standard is there) and anything less than that is somehow failing, but it can definitely work out. We had to make some lifestyle changes, and now we live a bit differently, as opposed to living worse. :)

Good luck with your tests in January!

Your wife sounds awesome and resilient, lucky you!

I have only done volunteer work since before meeting my husband, because my condition was already very limiting the past five years. He got me with all my limits and still loved me enough to marry me, and on the financial side not much changes as he was the sole breadwinner to begin with. But I am hoping to start a small business from home because indeed it would just add something good to our lives and I'd love to be able to contribute to our household so it's definitely something I keep in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom