The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a cold week here. 0 or-2°C most nights and single figures during the day... that means the house is cold at night, so I'm sleeping in 2 layers. I have a sweatshirt on top of my pjs to keep me warm!

Haven't worn PJs since I was a kid (or anything else, in bed). I remember we once had a thread about wearing clothes in bed, with a poll. It was quite surprising. The older members didn't wear many (if any clothes) in bed and the younger (I mean under 50- ish!) did. One might have imagined it would be the other way round.

Haven't worn PJs since I was a kid (or anything else, in bed).
:highfive:

Same here, and as soon as I got my own room (maybe 8 or 9 years old), I didn't even wear them as a kid. Going to bed, essentially fully clothed, is just extremely uncomfortable to me.

:highfive:

Same here, and as soon as I got my own room (maybe 8 or 9 years old), I didn't even wear them as a kid. Going to bed, essentially fully clothed, is just extremely uncomfortable to me.

I agree - the clothing material rucks up when you move and gets twisted and chafes. I know that SatNavSaysStraightOn doesn't like using central heating though. In fact, I don't ever have heating in the bedroom as I like to feel cooler air at night. A decent feather duvet (I use a lightweight summer one all year round) easily provides enough warmth.

I agree - the clothing material rucks up when you move and gets twisted and chafes. I know that SatNavSaysStraightOn doesn't like using central heating though. In fact, I don't ever have heating in the bedroom as I like to feel cooler air at night. A decent feather duvet (I use a lightweight summer one all year round) easily provides enough warmth.
I'm the same way with a cool/cold bedroom for sleeping.

When we moved from upstate NY to Texas, we stayed with my in-laws for three or four nights, after we'd turned over our house. They had a log cabin home, and they heated with a multi-fuel furnace and occasional electric baseboard heating, just to take the chill off. By that stage, they were the only ones living in the house, so two of the three bedrooms, they closed off and didn't heat.

MrsTasty is opposite of me, she wants a room toasty (MrsToasty?). If you're not sweating a little, then it's too cold for her.

On the first night, she told me to make sure to go back and open the heating vents and turn on the baseboard heat as soon as we arrived, which of course, I promptly didn't do. 😬

Keep in mind, it's February, about 50 miles or so south of Montreal, so it was a good -20F/-30C, something like that.

When we went to bed that night, the sheets positively crackled, they were so stiff and cold. :laugh:

A decent feather duvet (I use a lightweight summer one all year round) easily provides enough warmth.
Unless you're like me... I have the equivalent of restless leg syndrome but in my arms instead. The result is that I sleep with my arms held vertically at night, all night on bad nights. So the top half of my upper body is often not under the very expensive quilts that we bought when both of us worked. I currently only use the autumnal weight (9.5tog) quilt. But when ¼ or more of you isn't under the quilt it leaves you very cold when the air temperature in the room you sleep in is basically the same as outside (open bedroom windows). Hubby had taken to waking me and putting my arms down, but because he's still sleeping in another room at present due to his operation, that's not currently happening. So I sleep arms at 90° to the rest of my body, my shoulders and upper chest not covered by the quilt...

My 2 cents, since I can remember as a kid, I only slept with bottom pjs on but short, not longs, as stated they twist when turning. Then as a teen I went to undies only. Not boxers but the ones that look like swimming togs. That's all I wear all year in bed. I often sleep with my legs out of the side of the blankets. Self regulating my temp ?? I don't feel the cold 24/7. It's 12 deg c here and a grey day, I'm in shorts and a singlet. I'm also bare feet. Eldest granddaughter is the same as me, exactly, her parents even call her my nick name. Quite funny when they turn up here and she hops out the car in shorts skimpy top and bare feet. She only wears shoes to,school. It cracks me up how alike she is to me.

Russ

I wear gym shots and a sleepless t-shirt to bed. If I try to go au natural, I start thinking thoughts like, "What if there is a fire and there's no time to get dressed?"

I also don't like cold weather, in general, but like my bedroom on the cold side. I like to roll up in my sheets and blankets/quilt like I'm in a cocoon. When I say in a hotel in the summer (I used to do a lot before the virus), I would set the AC to freeze-out, since I wasn't getting hit with the electric bill.

CD

I often sleep with my legs out of the side of the blankets. Self regulating my temp ??
I do that as well. I can't stand having the blankets tucked into the foot of the mattress.

If I try to go au natural, I start thinking thoughts like, "What if there is a fire and there's no time to get dressed?"

Naked Caseydog, running from burning house: "Fire! Fire! Help! Fire!"

Neighbor: "I see you've already brought the hose." 😳

I like to roll up in my sheets and blankets/quilt like I'm in a cocoon.
I like to do that with everything but my feet. I like to get the blankets right up over my head. A couple of years ago, MrsTasty bought me one of those weighted blankets, and it's great. I love it.

Naked Caseydog, running from burning house: "Fire! Fire! Help! Fire!"

Neighbor: "I see you've already brought the hose." 😳
:roflmao:

Seriously, if there was a fire, I'd just grab the dressing gown which hangs on a hook on the bedroom door. I'm not sure why its there as I don't ever use it. Now I know why its there...

A few years ago a friend was staying with us in our spare room (he was 80 years old). In the early morning, he needed to visit the toilet but couldn't find the door. He was banging on the walls shouting my name. My wife woke me to sort it out so I put on my skiddies and my socks...........

:roflmao:

Seriously, if there was a fire, I'd just grab the dressing gown which hangs on a hook on the bedroom door. I'm not sure why its there as I don't ever use it. Now I know why its there...
I would just claim that the flames burned on my clothes off during my daring escape. :)

I used to work with a lady called Gill. Her hubby slept naked. One night he was woken by the sound of their chickens. Looking out of the window, he saw a fox and was up and out of the house chasing the fox through their garden... they lived in Bracknell, Berkshire (UK) and the lat thing it was was rural, remote, secluded or anywhere where running around starkers was a great idea. Not to mention the obvious issue of a fox fighting back!

rascal growing up, I was exactly the same. T shirt in snow, got detention at school for being out in a blizzard during break for not wearing my jumper, coat, scarf, hat and gloves! It was the only detention I ever got. I would turn up at the supermarket or local corner shop in bare feet, no shoes at all. The supermarket was a good ½hr walk from home (3km or 2 miles roughly)... The corner shop further. I rarely went mountaineering in much more than 1 thin layer under an outer windproof shell (such as an uninsulated waterproof). Until starting with osteoarthritis I was exactly the same. There are photos groom when I was cycling around the world where I was wearing a woolen top (Smartwool) that was roughly 20 years old even then. It was threadbare even then and the pictures are not suitable for our journal. I had to start wearing another layer on top just because it was so thin and see through!

Osteoarthritis is a pain to say the least. I now have to keep my joints really warm else I seize up and can barely move... extra layers, heated car seats/mats on top of the seats, electric heatpads, electric blankets (rarely used tbh) are all necessary and some like the car seats or mats that go on the seats, have become essential if I'm to sit in a car for more than ½ hr. Given my shortest journey is 45 minutes...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom