The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to do that with everything but my feet. I like to get the blankets right up over my head. A couple of years ago, MrsTasty bought me one of those weighted blankets, and it's great. I love it.

I've wondered about those weighted blankets. But, they are expensive, especially for something that covers about half of your body. So, assume from you "love it" comment that you find it worth the price.

CD

I've wondered about those weighted blankets. But, they are expensive, especially for something that covers about half of your body. So, assume from you "love it" comment that you find it worth the price.

CD

We have "weighted curtains" which have a metal chain sewn into the bottom hem. Is that the same idea?

CD
Yes. The one thing I don't like is that you can't get one (AFAIK) that's larger than maybe a double, and we have queen beds. You'll get the added benefit of getting your morning workout in making the bed each morning. I especially like it as a couch blanket.

We have "weighted curtains" which have a metal chain sewn into the bottom hem. Is that the same idea?
Sort of. It's got dense material sewn into it throughout the blanket. Mine is one of the heavier ones in that it weighs about 25lbs, I think. It's definitely like moving a dead body, getting under it.

It's also sold as a "calming blanket." The person who invented it has some kind of association with autism, and found that heavier blankets with some of the kids had a very noticeable calming effect. Now they're all the rage, though, and I just saw an ad for weighted heating pads now, because those things never stay where you put them.

Sort of. It's got dense material sewn into it throughout the blanket. Mine is one of the heavier ones in that it weighs about 25lbs, I think. It's definitely like moving a dead body, getting under it.

Sounds horrible to me. I have the lightest duvet available and 'soft touch' linen (which I highly recommend). I'd feel terribly claustrophobic if I was weighted down.

I used to work with a lady called Gill. Her hubby slept naked. One night he was woken by the sound of their chickens. Looking out of the window, he saw a fox and was up and out of the house chasing the fox through their garden... they lived in Bracknell, Berkshire (UK) and the lat thing it was was rural, remote, secluded or anywhere where running around starkers was a great idea. Not to mention the obvious issue of a fox fighting back!

rascal growing up, I was exactly the same. T shirt in snow, got detention at school for being out in a blizzard during break for not wearing my jumper, coat, scarf, hat and gloves! It was the only detention I ever got. I would turn up at the supermarket or local corner shop in bare feet, no shoes at all. The supermarket was a good ½hr walk from home (3km or 2 miles roughly)... The corner shop further. I rarely went mountaineering in much more than 1 thin layer under an outer windproof shell (such as an uninsulated waterproof). Until starting with osteoarthritis I was exactly the same. There are photos groom when I was cycling around the world where I was wearing a woolen top (Smartwool) that was roughly 20 years old even then. It was threadbare even then and the pictures are not suitable for our journal. I had to start wearing another layer on top just because it was so thin and see through!

Osteoarthritis is a pain to say the least. I now have to keep my joints really warm else I seize up and can barely move... extra layers, heated car seats/mats on top of the seats, electric heatpads, electric blankets (rarely used tbh) are all necessary and some like the car seats or mats that go on the seats, have become essential if I'm to sit in a car for more than ½ hr. Given my shortest journey is 45 minutes...

I feel for your aches and pains. I don't have any problems so I appreciate it every day. We don't know what's around the corner. Btw when I'm out say in a bottle store on a cold rainy day in my shorts and singlet, people say aren't you cold. I say feel my hand, they can't believe how warm I am. High of 17 today so I'm out in the garden shortly, picking crops.

Russ

I feel for your aches and pains. I don't have any problems so I appreciate it every day. We don't know what's around the corner. Btw when I'm out say in a bottle store on a cold rainy day in my shorts and singlet, people say aren't you cold. I say feel my hand, they can't believe how warm I am. High of 17 today so I'm out in the garden shortly, picking crops.

Russ
I remind myself most days that I have no regrets. I can't afford myself any if that makes sense. I was fit and too active up until i was 42. We took every opportunity that came our way to be out and doing something. A day off was a walk around the local MOD (eqiv of DOD) land wet lived on often being out for 3 or 4 hours at a time and thinking nothing of covering 12-16 miles as a rest day! The sunday paper walk was 5-8 miles.
We also took opportunities that most people would have turned down such V8 as selling everything we owned, quitting having a home and going off to (try to) cycle around the world.
From a very early age I would walk miles to school with my Grannie. I thought it normal. so there are no regrets and what operations I'll need in the next year or two will just be accepted (minimum of 2 new hips, may also need knees and ankles sorting as well plus I know that the torn rotar cuff muscle in my right shoulder is going to need surgery in the near future and I'm also lined up to have a neutral stimulator implanted into my spine to help with the pain. The virus had meant that that has had to be postponed, not cancelled though. Because I need a HDU bed for that one and an ICU bed for the others, none will happen until things are back to normal in Australia, even though the surgeries are all private not Medicare surgeries. If I've had just 1 before the end of the year, I'll consider myself lucky! But by then I suspect I'll be back in a wheelchair more than I am now, just because of how quickly I can see myself going downhill. I can also see it in others eyes when they see me having a bad day. My parents being stranded here means that they have really seen how bad I am. There has been no hiding it from them. You can't when they are here that often.

But no regrets, even still. We both have fabulous memories such as the 10 days before we got married, we went hiking walking from 1 youth hostel to another in the north of England for the entire time. Just us, nothing else. No wedding plans no stress, nothing but fabulous December weather (we were amazingly lucky) and then a honeymoon in Stockholm over the New Year period.

I remind myself most days that I have no regrets. I can't afford myself any if that makes sense. I was fit and too active up until i was 42. We took every opportunity that came our way to be out and doing something. A day off was a walk around the local MOD (eqiv of DOD) land wet lived on often being out for 3 or 4 hours at a time and thinking nothing of covering 12-16 miles as a rest day! The sunday paper walk was 5-8 miles.
We also took opportunities that most people would have turned down such V8 as selling everything we owned, quitting having a home and going off to (try to) cycle around the world.
From a very early age I would walk miles to school with my Grannie. I thought it normal. so there are no regrets and what operations I'll need in the next year or two will just be accepted (minimum of 2 new hips, may also need knees and ankles sorting as well plus I know that the torn rotar cuff muscle in my right shoulder is going to need surgery in the near future and I'm also lined up to have a neutral stimulator implanted into my spine to help with the pain. The virus had meant that that has had to be postponed, not cancelled though. Because I need a HDU bed for that one and an ICU bed for the others, none will happen until things are back to normal in Australia, even though the surgeries are all private not Medicare surgeries. If I've had just 1 before the end of the year, I'll consider myself lucky! But by then I suspect I'll be back in a wheelchair more than I am now, just because of how quickly I can see myself going downhill. I can also see it in others eyes when they see me having a bad day. My parents being stranded here means that they have really seen how bad I am. There has been no hiding it from them. You can't when they are here that often.

But no regrets, even still. We both have fabulous memories such as the 10 days before we got married, we went hiking walking from 1 youth hostel to another in the north of England for the entire time. Just us, nothing else. No wedding plans no stress, nothing but fabulous December weather (we were amazingly lucky) and then a honeymoon in Stockholm over the New Year period.

Lol, I know what you mean about places you have been. I have fond memories of Cornwall and hope to get back there soon. We've been watching doc Martin reruns, I'm getting itchy feet. My kids will never experience some of the things I've done or places I've been. Different times growing up I suppose. The 70s were a blast.lol. I hope to get back in a year or so. Need to get back to Paris as well.

Russ

KFC places have started to open-drive through only, my colleague went to her local last night to treat her kids-the police had closed the road due to the excessive amount of vehicles queuing to get in.... all that just for some chicken :eek:

It's 11 am here ATM on a Friday. Picking my good friend up at 3 and going for a drink. I'll find a small place that needs support. We may have to buy some fries to comply with regulations? Either way I'm looking forward to seeing him. Only seen him once in 7 weeks. I need a laugh and I know we will have one.

Russ

If I've had just 1 before the end of the year, I'll consider myself lucky! But by then I suspect I'll be back in a wheelchair more than I am now, just because of how quickly I can see myself going downhill. I can also see it in others eyes when they see me having a bad day. My parents being stranded here means that they have really seen how bad I am. There has been no hiding it from them.

I am sorry to hear your condition is this complicated and that you have to wait this long. I admire your patience.

And am also happy that you have a lot of good memories to pull you through, I hope the day will come that you can make more.

Oh, I'm sure all my neighbors have seen me naked. More than once, no doubt.
I know it seems odd, but we are pretty sure we have a neighbor who spies on us in our kitchen (we have wide big picture windows up on a hill from his house below). We are careful not to do anything too crazy, but sometimes I wave down the hill at his house, and that weird flashing red light we saw disappears. Is that too weird? Am I paranoid? If he could just see our food maybe he would calm down. Or get bored. I dunno.

We can't get too risque in our kitchen, sigh.

First time out at pub, we enjoyed it, ran into a friend I havnt seen in ages. Pub even had a tab (totalisator agency betting) we had a credit that we reinvested. We got a first four ( first four horses past the post in order) paid for our drinks and dinner. Burger and fries on the way home. I really enjoyed it after about 7 weeks. We will repeat it soon.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom