The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I started off tonight to make an entry for the corn challenge ( corn casserole) , then the storms rolled through and we lost power and are still without. Here is a picture of the ingredients minus the squash and soda bottle in the background. View attachment 41795
I like every one of those ingredients. I hope your power is on soon. We have pretty bad luck with that around here as well.

All he// broke loose in our house tonight. One of the cats went crazy and was scrambling around in the kitchen, then into the family room/office area. I caught enough of a glimpse to know that it was some kind of lizard (yes, they manage to get into houses from time to time) as it headed underneath the china cabinet. Of course the pugs had to get into it and our witchy (sub B for the W) pug caught up to the cat and was on top of him trying to bite him, she gets like this sometimes, as Craig was getting out of his recliner, with me yelling at him to hurry up since he was closer. Dragged the pug off the cat, made sure he was okay, picked him up and held him for a few minutes, then he jumped down and started looking for his prey. He finally realized it was under the china cabinet, but I wasn't worried about him getting it since I figured it would be intelligent enough to stay in the back out of reach.
Nope, it wasn't. By the time I realized he got it, it was in several pieces. It was a geko.

I like every one of those ingredients. I hope your power is on soon. We have pretty bad luck with that around here as well.
Aftermath of the storm in downtown area not far from us

Aftermath of the storm in downtown area not far from usView attachment 41796
View attachment 41797

View attachment 41798

You must be in Michigan. It seems that those storms were spawned by the remnants of tropical storm Cristobal. That's pretty amazing. I hope your power resumes quickly. I'm reading that some areas may not have power restored until the weekend. Don't open your freezer until you have power restored! Stuff can stay frozen for two or three days as long as you keep the door closed.

CD

Well, I started off tonight to make an entry for the corn challenge ( corn casserole) , then the storms rolled through and we lost power and are still without. Here is a picture of the ingredients minus the squash and soda bottle in the background. View attachment 41795

Oh dear - hope you get power back soon.

You must be in Michigan. It seems that those storms were spawned by the remnants of tropical storm Cristobal. That's pretty amazing. I hope your power resumes quickly. I'm reading that some areas may not have power restored until the weekend. Don't open your freezer until you have power restored! Stuff can stay frozen for two or three days as long as you keep the door closed.

CD
Actually in NW Ohio very close to the lake. Power came back on about 4:30AM, thankfully. Saw a video as it was happening of the theatre that was destroyed. Really unbelievable how the storm was so targeted on that building, less than a half block away - no damage.

I've complained about poorly-written recipes by people/places that should know better. I had a good example today, making something for the corn challenge.

The recipe lists ingredients, including "1 cup sugar, divided." Ok, no problem.

In the directions, the steps are (simplifying):

1. Melt some butter in a cake pan
2. Pour 1/2 cup sugar over melted butter
3. Mix remaining dry ingredients (flour, etc)
4. Cream butter and remaining sugar

I don't know about you, but the remaining sugar is what I'd consider a dry ingredient. 😒

And yes, I did read the recipe through, a couple of times, actually, but when you're just reading for a high-level overview, it's easy to miss that they've got their order a bit cattywhompus, only to find that out after you've dumped the remaining sugar into the flour. 😒😒

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom