The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin married a guy called bob Cockburn. He said it was cobern, I always called him by the way I read it. He never liked me. Lol. Boring guy btw who wore a toupee.

Russ

The people I bought my house from were called Mr and Mrs Onion. Except that they insisted it was pronounced O'Nyon (rhymes with O'Brian)!

You may have seen the name Garioch on bottles of whisky. It's pronounced nothing like its spelling. Gee-ree is pretty much how you say it. Just north of where I live, there are villages with Wemyss in the name, and indeed a Wemyss Bay on the west coast. This is pronounced Weems. And should you find yourself in Findochty, up on the Moray Firth, Fin-eck-ty is more or less how you should say it.

We have some weird ones. Here is Texas, we have Boerne (pronounced Bernie), Gruene (Green), and Pflugerville (Floo-ger-ville).

Some other cities in the US include Schenectady, NY (ska-neck-tah-dee), Worchester, MA (wus-ter), and Hamtramck, MI (Detroit Dad or LateNite may need to help with this one). Hey, how about Nunathloogagamiutbingoi Dunes, AK?

One I''ve been to a few times is Ouachita, AR. There is an awesome drivers and scenic road there called the Ouachita Trail (Wash-it-tah). Another for Michigan, Sault Ste. Marie, MI (Soo-saint-mah-ree).

Hey Tasty, a little help with Gnadehütten, OH?

CD

Last edited:
Ok, question: my LG phone battery isn't keeping it's charge-only had it for 2 years and love it to bits, Carphone Warehouse are now offering me an upgrade now that my contract is almost up, so, do I

1: invest in a new battery or
2: upgrade to a new phone.

Ok, question: my LG phone battery isn't keeping it's charge-only had it for 2 years and love it to bits, Carphone Warehouse are now offering me an upgrade now that my contract is almost up, so, do I

1: invest in a new battery or
2: upgrade to a new phone.

These products are made to last a certain amount of time, although 2 years is shorter than I'd expect. They want you being new ones every few years. Phone, computers -- they are all that way.

If the battery is cheap, I'd give that a try. If there is not a lot of difference between a new battery and what Carphone Warehouse is (are) offering on a new phone. It may be a longer term solution.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom