The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.

My car showed this outside air temperature yesterday. In fairness I was parked up in a fairly enclosed but sunny car park in the middle of town. The temperature dropped to 38 as I drove across town, and was down to 33 when I got home.

View attachment 42401

My car showed this outside air temperature yesterday. In fairness I was parked up in a fairly enclosed but sunny car park in the middle of town. The temperature dropped to 38 as I drove across town, and was down to 33 when I got home.

The outside temperature readings in cars are not accurate. I get some wild readings in the summer in Texas.

CD

The outside temperature readings in cars are not accurate. I get some wild readings in the summer in Texas.

CD
Agreed. Usually, when the car has been sitting in the sun the reading is artificially high. Once on the move the temp drops to more realistic levels. Yesterday, the temp initially went up when I set off, and then dropped only by a couple of degrees. It was hot. I almost considered turning on the aircon.

Agreed. Usually, when the car has been sitting in the sun the reading is artificially high. Once on the move the temp drops to more realistic levels. Yesterday, the temp initially went up when I set off, and then dropped only by a couple of degrees. It was hot. I almost considered turning on the aircon.

My AC doesn't turn off for most of the year. I start the engine, and it's on. :heat: :whistling:

CD

My AC doesn't turn off for most of the year. I start the engine, and it's on. :heat: :whistling:

CD
I had a mechanic tell me once that that first few seconds of dings and beeps when you start your car, when the instrument cluster lights up, that's all the systems initializing, and you should just sit there and not do anything until everything clears.

"And sit there for six seconds without the A/C on? Are you nuts?!" - that was my response. :laugh:

I had a mechanic tell me once that that first few seconds of dings and beeps when you start your car, when the instrument cluster lights up, that's all the systems initializing, and you should just sit there and not do anything until everything clears.

"And sit there for six seconds without the A/C on? Are you nuts?!" - that was my response. :laugh:

There are all kinds of weird do's and do not's floating around mechanic's shops. In a modern car, the computer is not going to let you do something that could damage the car. Well, mostly. You would have to really try hard.

CD

! - I have it on (in the car) from March to October at least. I once had a minor panic attack when my car air con stopped working.
My brother laughed at me a couple of years ago when we were riding together in my car, which at that point I'd had for five or six years, daily driver, and I fumbled around looking for the button to lower the window to let a ladybug out.

"How in the hell can you not know where the window switch is in your own damn car?!"

"Because this is probably the third time I've ever put the window down." 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don't go through drive-throughs (well, not until lately), and I either have the heat on or the A/C on and I don't like road noise, so the windows stay up.

! - I have it on (in the car) from March to October at least. I once had a minor panic attack when my car air con stopped working.

AC and window tint is pretty important here. My European cars have always had weaker AC systems, too -- just my observation. I always get the windows tinted as dark as the law allows first thing when I buy a car. My MINI has the double sunroof. That was not the brainchild of a Texan.
CD

Wet and cold here, nearly first month of winter is gone. My air con at home still not working. Talking of window electrics, wife's ford has switches on drivers door panel, my Gm wagon has them between front seats. Gets very confusing when I'm swapping cars.

Russ

Wet and cold here, nearly first month of winter is gone. My air con at home still not working. Talking of window electrics, wife's ford has switches on drivers door panel, my Gm wagon has them between front seats. Gets very confusing when I'm swapping cars.

Russ
The best that way was a Land Rover (Freelander) we owned. I think they rushed it to the US market, because it was about half-US configured and half Brit-configured, meaning they left a lot of the RHD stuff in place (yes, the glove box was under my steering wheel).

Right after I got it, I took it to a trailer place to have a hitch put on. They were supposed to call me when it was done, and 15 minutes before closing, they still hadn't called, so I called them, and the guy actually cussed at me:

"Oh, it's you! I've been f*****g with this thing all f*****g day and I can't get the f*****g hood up to get to the wiring! There's no f*****g hood release!"

"Yeah there is, it's on the passenger side. Big red handle. Can't miss it."

"WELL WHAT THE F*** IS IT DOING THERE?!?!"

That was 16 years ago, and I still laugh every time I drive by that place. :laugh:

The best that way was a Land Rover (Freelander) we owned. I think they rushed it to the US market, because it was about half-US configured and half Brit-configured, meaning they left a lot of the RHD stuff in place (yes, the glove box was under my steering wheel).

Right after I got it, I took it to a trailer place to have a hitch put on. They were supposed to call me when it was done, and 15 minutes before closing, they still hadn't called, so I called them, and the guy actually cussed at me:

"Oh, it's you! I've been f*****g with this thing all f*****g day and I can't get the f*****g hood up to get to the wiring! There's no f*****g hood release!"

That was 16 years ago, and I still laugh every time I drive by that place. :laugh:

That's funny, I had the same with my 66 Stang, bonnet/hood release is in the middle of the grill in front. Unless you know you won't find it. :)

Russ

The Freelander flopped in the US. I had one from the press fleet to take to Port Arthur one week. By then, it was in it's second generation and renamed the LR2, trying to draw on the LR3 (Disco 3 for you Brits) reputation.

Funny thing... I had an early LR3 which had a voice activated NAV system. It took me about an hour to figure out that it only recognized British English. I finally got it after asking it to find the nearest gas station about ten times, then asking it to find the nearest petrol station. That worked.

BTW, I absolutely loved the LR3, and Land Rover invited me to their off-road driving school at the Biltmore Estate. It was quite fun. :wink:

LandRoverMud.jpg

And a press fleet LR3 that I had fun with, too. Yes, I drove it onto that rock. No jacks, no ramps, no photoshop.

LandRoverOnRock.jpg

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom