The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It got worse.

Finally, at 11:45PM, I was told I could validate the system I'm responsible for, which is no longer active and no one actually uses. Fine, all I really had to do was mark the task on the work order as completed, then off to bed, finally.

1:30 in the AM...RING!!!!...there goes my phone. I have a text from the same group doing the work that I need to join an emergency conference call regarding this work order. Up I get, and logged in. Fabulous. :(

Log on, dial into the call, and there's about 40 people on the call. I'm in no mood, so instead of doing the normal thing of sitting and waiting for a few minutes to suss out the situation, I immediately introduce myself, and in as pleasant a voice as possible (which isn't pleasant at all), ask, "What do you need me for?"

"We're all done with work order 123XYZ and so we need you to validate...let's see...TastyReuben...we need you to validate that your system...K19...is working."

"Seriously? 1 - it's not working because it's an inactive system, and 2 - I DID THIS AT 11:45PM! IT'S ON THE WORK ORDER!"

"Oh...yep...there it is! You're good, have a good night!"

😡 😡 😡

That Office Space job looks pretty damn good right now...

So, I'm late shift duty watch officer this afternoon/tonight. I grabbed this out of the freezer for my meal. Trouble is I can't remember for the life of me what BS was short for (apart from the obvious of course). I do this all the time, write something on the container as I will obviously remember what BS or WR or something stands for and then promptly forget a few days later.
I think this has aubergine and green beans in it.

So anyone have any idea what I'm about to eat?

I'm looking at stoves online. I hate my current stove and am stuck with electric at least until a vaccine appears. I'm thinking the cheapest electric I can get so that I can replace it later without guilt. My stove is what most people would call a nice one, with double ovens but I hate the glass cooktop and the curved hand rails are a cleaning nightmare. My stoves are generally a mess so maybe I'll just keep buying el cheapo's every couple of years instead of knocking myself out trying to clean all the nooks and crannies. Life is too short for that.

So, I'm late shift duty watch officer this afternoon/tonight. I grabbed this out of the freezer for my meal. Trouble is I can't remember for the life of me what BS was short for (apart from the obvious of course). I do this all the time, write something on the container as I will obviously remember what BS or WR or something stands for and then promptly forget a few days later.
I think this has aubergine and green beans in it.

So anyone have any idea what I'm about to eat?

View attachment 43047

I'm wondering what those long greenish sticks of things are - green beans? Could it be bean and shrimp curry? ONOH you like the UK would probably say prawn not shrimp.

Just saw you said green beans. So not much help from me here!

I'm wondering what those long greenish sticks of things are - green beans? Could it be bean and shrimp curry? ONOH you like the UK would probably say prawn not shrimp.

Just saw you said green beans. So not much help from me here!

Sussed it.

Butternut Squash Curry. I made it in April, I even posted a pic of it on here.

What did you cook or eat today (April 2020)?

Both our kids are taking their kids for a 3 day break to the west coast. 3 hr drive so I just got off the phone, daughter knows I've done that trip hundreds if not thousands of times. She wanted to know danger spots, I told her two places to be careful. Being its winter here they may need chains going over Arthur's pass.?

We have some weird ones. Here is Texas, we have Boerne (pronounced Bernie), Gruene (Green), and Pflugerville (Floo-ger-ville).

Some other cities in the US include Schenectady, NY (ska-neck-tah-dee), Worchester, MA (wus-ter), and Hamtramck, MI (Detroit Dad or LateNite may need to help with this one). Hey, how about Nunathloogagamiutbingoi Dunes, AK?

One I''ve been to a few times is Ouachita, AR. There is an awesome drivers and scenic road there called the Ouachita Trail (Wash-it-tah). Another for Michigan, Sault Ste. Marie, MI (Soo-saint-mah-ree).

Hey Tasty, a little help with Gnadehütten, OH?

CD

Ska neck yah Dee, great clip about the pilot and dean Martin. You sure you're not a pilot. ?
I'm gunna go watch it again, really funny. Forget who,the other guy was, a famous murican.

Russ

Bit of sad news this morning - our neighbor's 7yo dog died suddenly. He'd seemed fine except for not eating, so after a few days, they took him to the vet, they opened him up...consumed with cancer. It's especially a shock because, apart from a couple of days of not eating, he was full of energy and his usual rollicking self.

In the interest of full disclosure, this dog has been a sore spot in my side for the entire time they've had him. Too many holes dug in my yard (and massive ones at that), he's knocked both my wife, me, and my dog down violently on more than one occasion, he destroyed about $200 worth of flowers, he ransacked my tomatoes and peppers (when I was growing those), and he's damaged my herb garden before as well.

However, he was a dog, he was only doing what his owners let him get away with, and it's not in me to hate any animal, especially a dog, so both my wife and I are sad that he's died, and needless to say, the owners are positively devastated as, like many of us with pets, their dog was like their kid.

In our frequent fights over the years regarding their dog's behavior, I would point out that as a responsible owner, I contained my dog, and they would counter with, "Well, we wouldn't care one bit if she came over!"

A couple of years ago, due to her age and a heart condition, our vet advised we stop using our Invisible Fence to contain our dog, so after 14 years on a collar, she was free, and figured that out in no time, and makes multiple trips over to their yard every day, just to check things out, say hi, and poop somewhere. I figured that was light payback for years of expense and misery their dog caused, and they continued to tell us they had no problem with her coming over, so I continued to let her.

This morning, I let our pooch out, and she did her normal thing of sniffing around, peeing, then trotting off next door. I looked up, and they were both out, waved me over, and told me the news. The husband, who was completely besotted with the dog, couldn't even speak, so the wife filled us in through tears.

It was heartbreaking.

Finally when it was time to head back, the husband said, "We're keeping the back gate open from now on, just for her. You let her come over here any time she wants. We love her so much," and then he broke down and started bawling.

That tore me right up. It's really put a damper on things. I've been out a couple of times since then, and he's just standing out in his driveway, looking lost.

I updated my avatar to a pic that's a few years old.

It was taken at Christmastime, downtown Cincinnati. As you can see, I'm drinking a beer and wearing a nice little Irish wool cap. I was also wearing a corduroy jacket, a long scarf, jeans and boots.

I mention all that because, when I came in off the city square, I sat down and ordered a beer. I was never presented the bill, and when I asked to pay, the waitress told me my beer was free.

You want to know why? The city had hired some local singers/actors to dress up like Dickens characters and sing Christmas carols on the square. She thought, just by the manner of my everyday clothes, that I was one of the players.

I didn't know whether to be pleased or offended. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom