The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only American car I've ever owned was a Ford (Explorer), and it was actually very good. The rare occasion i needed spare parts it was cheaper to buy on-line from the US and pay the duty than to buy from my local Ford dealer.

I had a Ford Explorer back in the 90s. A lot of cars here have nicknames, not often good. The Explorer's nickname was "Exploder." :laugh: Mine was a good SUV. It was rather boring, but it got the job done.

CD

Today, October 2, 2020, marks the end of Buddhist Lent, called Awk Phansa, in Thailand. Amongst other things it means a mandatory alcohol sales ban that closes bars and entertainment venues and prohibits sales of alcohol at any store or restaurant for 24 hours.

I thought Buddhism was a very personal faith/practice. I didn't think they were into "mandates." I learned something new.

CD

I had a Ford Explorer back in the 90s. A lot of cars here have nicknames, not often good. The Explorer's nickname was "Exploder." :laugh: Mine was a good SUV. It was rather boring, but it got the job done.

CD
Mine was called "Dora". It pulled heavy things over rough terrains and the load space was huge. It was great for mini breaks to the coast, filled with luggage and dogs. On the boring factor I would say it was Toyota like, but with comfier seats. Happy days.

Mine was called "Dora". It pulled heavy things over rough terrains and the load space was huge. It was great for mini breaks to the coast, filled with luggage and dogs. On the boring factor I would say it was Toyota like, but with comfier seats. Happy days.

At one time, it was the number-one SUV in the US. Today, most SUV drivers would say that it is "too small." The Chevy Suburban is the new king, and if you are wealthy enough, you get the Cadillac version of the Suburban, the Escalade. All yours for roughly 80,000 bucks.

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 11.11.34 PM.jpg

Unknown.jpeg

CD

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I thought Buddhism was a very personal faith/practice. I didn't think they were into "mandates." I learned something new.

It's nothing to do with the Lord Buddha; it's either superstitious codswallup or the government using His name to keep the proletariat in check.

The only engine offered here was a 4.0L V6. Was that the same there? Now, they offer a twin-turbo 3.5L V6.

CD

At one time, it was the number-one SUV in the US. Today, most SUV drivers would say that it is "too small." The Chevy Suburban is the new king, and if you are wealthy enough, you get the Cadillac version of the Suburban, the Escalade. All yours for roughly 80,000 bucks.

View attachment 47410

View attachment 47413

CD
A hearse, surely?

The only engine offered here was a 4.0L V6. Was that the same there? Now, they offer a twin-turbo 3.5L V6.

CD
Most, including mine, had the 4.0L Cologne, complete with plastic chain tensioners but otherwise a good engine. I thing there were a handful with 5.0L hemis?

View attachment 47410

View attachment 47413

CD

I read somewhere the model of car named nova?? Meant streetwalker in Mexican. Think it was the nova.????

Russ

Most, including mine, had the 4.0L Cologne, complete with plastic chain tensioners but otherwise a good engine. I thing there were a handful with 5.0L hemis?

The 5.0L V8 came after mine was built. It was not a Hemi, just a basic pushrod V8. My mom had the Lincoln version of the Explorer, called the Mountaineer. It had the 5.0L and full-time all wheel drive -- plus leather and all the other goodies. Nice, but a serious gasoline hog. IIRC, it was 12mpg city?

My mom's last car before she gave up driving (bad eyesight) was a Volvo XC70, and my dad has only owned Audis for the last 20 years. He has a Q5 now. Up until then, they only bought American cars. My dad drove my Mercedes, and went out and bought one (traded in a Cadillac). When I switched to Audi, so did he. He's owned five Audi's (I've owned three).

When I switched to a MINI, he didn't follow. :laugh:

CD

I read somewhere the model of car named nova?? Meant streetwalker in Mexican. Think it was the nova.????

Russ

The Chevrolet Nova was a real car, around for many years. It was named after the astronomical event. In Spanish, it meant something like "no go." I never heard the streetwalker thing.

CD

The Chevrolet Nova was a real car, around for many years. It was named after the astronomical event. In Spanish, it meant something like "no go." I never heard the streetwalker thing.

CD

It may not have been the nova? It just rang a bell. It was in a book of strange things.

Russ

He likes his steak like my wife. Horrible.!!

Russ

If a person likes well-done steak, fine, but don't do that to a dry aged, prime NY Strip. Use a sirloin, or a tenderloin (which will at least remain somewhat tender). You will get none of the benefit of a well marbled NY Strip, or a dry aged steak, if you overcook it.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom