The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may not have been the nova? It just rang a bell. It was in a book of strange things.

Russ

I had to find out. I did some searching, and it was the Masda Laputa that meant "the wh*re" in Spanish. That car was never sold in the US.

CD

If a person likes well-done steak, fine, but don't do that to a dry aged, prime NY Strip. Use a sirloin, or a tenderloin (which will at least remain somewhat tender). You will get none of the benefit of a well marbled NY Strip, or a dry aged steak, if you overcook it.

CD

I use prime eye fillet, I just stocked up today, 1 whole fillet at $22 kg, ( unheard of price here) I cut 14 decent steaks out of it. Cost $37. Cheap as chips. I also bought a shoulder of lamb at $11.50 kg ( lowest I've seen) enough for two casseroles to feed 8 or 9 twice. Plus 6 chops for BBQ family on Sunday. That worked out at $40. This butcher is halal as well. My friend put me onto him. He's a retired butcher.

Russ

I use prime eye fillet, I just stocked up today, 1 whole fillet at $22 kg, ( unheard of price here) I cut 14 decent steaks out of it. Cost $37. Cheap as chips. I also bought a shoulder of lamb at $11.50 kg ( lowest I've seen) enough for two casseroles to feed 8 or 9 twice. Plus 6 chops for BBQ family on Sunday. That worked out at $40. This butcher is halal as well. My friend put me onto him. He's a retired butcher.

Russ

I had to look up eye filet. That is filet mignon in the US. I had one a few nights ago.

CD

I had to look up eye filet. That is filet mignon in the US. I had one a few nights ago.

CD

Yeah it's t bone, one side porterhouse and the smaller the fillet. Our sons birthday on 10th this month. He always requests fillet Mignon, or beef wellington. I'm hoping it's not beef welly??

We eat about once a month with garlic sauce. Mine!

Russ

Yeah it's t bone, one side porterhouse and the smaller the fillet. Our sons birthday on 10th this month. He always requests fillet Mignon, or beef wellington. I'm hoping it's not beef welly??

We eat about once a month with garlic sauce. Mine!

Russ

T-bone? Okay, that's different from what I found on Wikipedia. They only mentioned the filet.

A T-bone in the US is one side NY strip, and one side tenderloin/filet mignon. A porterhouse is a t-bone cut from the bigger end of the beef part, and has a bigger filet side.

Funny how we have so many different names around the world for the same cuts of meat.

CD

It's porterhouse here, the second best cut of meat behind fillet. So you callit New York strip? Is that nation wide? What's your sirloin then??

Russ

It's porterhouse here, the second best cut of meat behind fillet. So you callit New York strip? Is that nation wide? What's your sirloin then??

Russ

NY strip is also called Kansas City strip in the Midwest, but NY strip just about everywhere else. Sirloin is called sirloin. It comes from the same area of the cow as a t-bone or porterhouse steak, but is not part of either, it is a cut on its own.

BTW, the best cut of steak to me is the ribeye, followed by the NY strip. The filet is lean, and not very flavorful, to me. To each his own.

CD

Generally, I'm adverse to touching food on my plate, though sometimes it can't be helped (like with hot wings).

You'd be buggered in Malaysia or India.

It took me months to learn how to "deposit" rice into my mouth using two fingers and a thumb (same hand - right hand).

Involved in a 5 car pile up this morning. Not my fault. I was stationary waiting for car to cross from the right. A young girl went straight across at speed a pitted the rear end of a car driving towards us (her right of way) the impact caused he to spin and slam into the back of me and the front of the car behind me. I'm okay because I had hold of the wheel. Marina was thrown forward and restrained by the belts. I will post pic of the wreck and Tandoori dinner tomorrow

Involved in a 5 car pile up this morning. Not my fault. I was stationary waiting for car to cross from the right. A young girl went straight across at speed a pitted the rear end of a car driving towards us (her right of way) the impact caused he to spin and slam into the back of me and the front of the car behind me. I'm okay because I had hold of the wheel. Marina was thrown forward and restrained by the belts. I will post pic of the wreck and Tandoori dinner tomorrow
Is the standard of driving there typically Mediterranean? Glad you are both OK.

NY strip is also called Kansas City strip in the Midwest, but NY strip just about everywhere else. Sirloin is called sirloin. It comes from the same area of the cow as a t-bone or porterhouse steak, but is not part of either, it is a cut on its own.

BTW, the best cut of steak to me is the ribeye, followed by the NY strip. The filet is lean, and not very flavorful, to me. To each his own.

CD

I've seen porterhouse here in supermarkets as sirloin!! Different strokes? My fillet steak cooked blue, pretty juicy. It's the most expensive here fillet is normally around $50 kg. So $22 yesterday was good.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom