The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hemers why didn't you enter your Krill oil capsules inn the seafood comp? Also I would love the odd pimple, it would bring back fond memories of my post puberty era.
I would've - but I just missed the deadline.
caps_.png
pim.gif

Just back from physio for my knee. Grrr
Good news and bad
Good news is that it's not gout. Outs also not the MCL.

Bad news is that it's still swollen, hot and inflamed. So I've got to stay off it completely for another 7-10 minimum. And I mean completely. Keep it on ice regularly and keep it in the knee brace and taped 24/7. The even worse news is that it may well be related to the partial paralysis and subsequent misdiagnosis by the UK NHS. Only time and physio is going to establish that one but the inability to do my right foot rolling outwards is one of the symptoms along with the inability to stop the leg 'drifting' outwards whilst eg physio was being done them not being able to hey my right leg back on to the physio bench without using my arms. Something I'd been telling people about from day 1 but no-one listened...

5 more physio sessions booked between now and the end of year, that's all that was available sadly. He had wanted another 7 in but no can do.

And I'm not allowed to drive either with it being my right leg. Had it been my left leg they would have restricted me to an automatic only (hubby's SUV is the automatic) but it's my right leg. So I'm on the sofa and off cooking duties, housework and everything else until I see him again.

But he was impressed with my knee brace!

It is 39F (4C) outside. I have the heating systems on, but I'm keeping the thermostats at 68F upstairs, and 66F downstairs. My bedroom is downstairs, and I sleep better in a colder room.

Nice thing about these cold days is that Natural Gas is dirt cheap in Texas, and that is what both of my furnaces run on. If we have a really cold month here, my gas bill for the month will be 30-bucks.

CD

We've been shopping and cooking all day. It's Independence Day in Finland on Dec 6th. Kids stay in Helsinki for the weekend. There won't be the traditional independence day reception at the presidential residence this year (a televised white tie ball with ~2000 guests). Traditionally most Finns stare at the evening dresses and rank them at home; a local substitute for Oscar's.

We'll take a false start to independence on Saturday with our oldest friends (one couple). We'll prepare a menu with mainly Finnish ingredients: islander's dark syrup bread with roe, herring, smoked salmon and sour cream, mushroom soup, bacon-apple-goat cheese salad with cranberry-raspberry sauce, strawberry-redcurrant intermediate drink, rosehip fish with oven-cooked veggies and thyme, butter cookies, blueberry cream - butter biscuit tower and coffee/tea. A "several entrées" type, fish-focused menu once again. I'll share food pics later.
menukuva.jpg

Last night, I was running around, as usual, trying to do six things at once while MrsT was playing on her phone. That always frustrates me, because how can one person not notice the other person running a marathon around the house, picking up dishing, putting away groceries, tending the laundry while they're doing nothing? :mad:

Anyway, in those instances, I usually passively-aggressively drop her a hint the size of a piano to get off her backside and help out. Last night, she told me she was holding a TV show until I could sit down and watch it, and I said, "Well, I've got to get the dog fed and then out with her, and then I've got to do the dishes, so the sooner all that's done, the sooner I can sit down."

I finished feeding the dog, during which time, MrsT got up and went in the kitchen, and I heard banging noises, so I went out with the dog, thinking, "Right, that did the trick." 😏

Came back in, she was sat back down, and she said, "I straightened up the kitchen for you, I figured I'd help you out so we can relax more."

YES!!! :woot:

Went in the kitchen...all she did was collect the dirty pans and plates and things and stack/consolidate them in slightly neater piles a bit closer to the sink.

🤦🏻‍♂️

Last night, I was running around, as usual, trying to do six things at once while MrsT was playing on her phone. That always frustrates me, because how can one person not notice the other person running a marathon around the house, picking up dishing, putting away groceries, tending the laundry while they're doing nothing? :mad:

Anyway, in those instances, I usually passively-aggressively drop her a hint the size of a piano to get off her backside and help out. Last night, she told me she was holding a TV show until I could sit down and watch it, and I said, "Well, I've got to get the dog fed and then out with her, and then I've got to do the dishes, so the sooner all that's done, the sooner I can sit down."

I finished feeding the dog, during which time, MrsT got up and went in the kitchen, and I heard banging noises, so I went out with the dog, thinking, "Right, that did the trick." 😏

Came back in, she was sat back down, and she said, "I straightened up the kitchen for you, I figured I'd help you out so we can relax more."

YES!!! :woot:

Went in the kitchen...all she did was collect the dirty pans and plates and things and stack/consolidate them in slightly neater piles a bit closer to the sink.

🤦🏻‍♂️

Your MrsT is like my ex. He think "cleaning" the kitchen is rinsing and putting dishes in the dishwasher. Wiping the table, stove and countertops, putting away leftovers, sweeping, mopping and taking out the trash are NOT included in his "clean up" model.

I spent the morning spending money. Lots and lots of money (roughly GBP500 or so I think). CookingBites is upto date on all its bills for the next 12 months. One of the bills (domain name) I actually managed to pay off for the next 10 years, and another of the bills is paid for the lifetime of the product rather than an annual bill, roughly 2.5 times the annual bill, so it made sense. But it's quite amazing how quickly it all adds up. It's not helped by the fact that I have to buy things in 3 different currencies either... (US$, € and £).

Later in the week, I'll remember how to do all the updates to the forum software that don't happen automatically via a result useful button. Only the forum platform and 1 other vendor for the software update that way. The rest require me to manually download a zip file, unzip the contents and then do an ftp file transfer over the top of the existing software, log back on to the admin side of life and then click the update button on each and every bit of software updated... yeah.

I must thank the member who had made it possible for me to purchase the domain name for the next 10 years rather than buying it annually. Your very generous donation met almost ½ of the cost needed for that alone. Advertising paid for the other half and the lifetime cost of the other piece of software. Sadly everything else can only be purchased annually and most of it falls just before Christmas except for the domain name which helpfully falls on New Year's Day.

I also managed to get hubby to buy me something else for Christmas. He'd been moaning that I hadn't given him a shopping list. Tbh, I couldn't really come up with anything that I actually wanted. This isn't helpful because my birthday also falls around the same time period. But yesterday I received any email from one of the hand-dyed yarn suppliers I use. I've just had a batch done as a custom orders for a 4ply cardigan I'm knitting but I get a lot of my sock yarn from them as well. However I'm very aware that I restrict what I buy to a very specific style so when her Christmas 3 month yarn club gift came out where you select the actual yarn base (so thickness and type of yarn you want) and she does a limited edition hand-dyed colour of her choosing based on a series of 9 photos she's published (the colourways are based on 1 of the photos) I decided to risk venturing into the unknown... 2 skeins per month will give me 3 pairs of socks a month that I can knit across the course of the year. It should be fun.

Your MrsT is like my ex. He think "cleaning" the kitchen is rinsing and putting dishes in the dishwasher. Wiping the table, stove and countertops, putting away leftovers, sweeping, mopping and taking out the trash are NOT included in his "clean up" model.

He rinses the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher? And I gave up my broom years ago for a rechargeable electric leaf blower. Seriously, it takes a fraction of the time of sweeping with a broom.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom