The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But please.
Try cycling into and then through the centre of Athens (on the last weekend before Christmas).

Total and utter chaos.

We cycled side by side pretending to be a slow moving vehicle on the concept that if someone was going to overtake or undertake us then they had to totally commit to it rather than try to force their way around us without changing lanes. And we had to adopt the concept of 'I've signalled therefore it's my right of way and I'm coming...'. Sometimes we had to cross between 4 and 6 lanes of traffic to get across to the lane we needed for our junction.
(We had at this point cycled the equivalent a Greek motorway (via a toll) because there were only 2 roads on that side of Mount Olympus and the bridge on the only road we were legally allowed to cycle was gone, just not there at all, so... it didn't take long for the police to pull us over... but they couldn't come up with any other route we could use either, so agreed we had to use it as far as the very first junction on the other side of the river).

Mind you we had cycled quite a few motorways or autobahns by this point including one where the only exit out of the country had been moved from the A road to the brand new Autobahn but no alternative for pedestrians, cyclists, tractors or the likes had been given (it was a tractor driver that directed us onto the autobahn in the first place via the wrong direction of an exit, let that one sink in for a moment! ).

That's shorts and T-shirt weather round here.

Looking better today. The temperature only dropped to 16°C overnight and it's currently expected to rise to 29°C by early afternoon. Highs of over 30°C are forecast for remainder of the week.

This week has been a week of contrasts. 6°C one morning, 10°C this morning. Sometimes 18°C during the day, others 28°C, then 35°C Next week it's forecast 4 days over 40°C!

Your summer has been a lot more volatile than ours ever was. Is that normal down under?

Our winters in Texas are weird and unpredictable -- short sleeves in the morning and ice storm six hours later is not uncommon. But summers here are pretty consistently hot.

CD

Blast from the past.

I have just received a copy of this picture of a class that I was in at school in the 50s. I'm surprised how many faces I remember.

Yup he's there! Very proud of him daring to take this step. He was very scared, but he didn't waver.
That's the reason I baked Cheesecake, to celebrate our new start tomorrow ( he got chocolate to take wiTh him, he hates cheesecake). And he's now officially been diagnosed with ARFID ( adult restrictive food intake disorder) which I had been trying to prove for years. So he will get help with that too.

I am very relieved, but it still has to sink in. My husband and I will take a holiday next week and the week after.
I've been waiting with bated breath for your update. I am so happy that he is taking this step and knows you both are by his side. It's so heartening to hear about families that love one another no matter what. I know it's been hard on you and your husband and you've made it through together!

Good wishes for this brand new start for you all!

One of the ice cream shops just announced they are closing stores during the lockdown :( Just today I was thinking of ordering ice cream from them but decided to leave it for the weekend. Oh well, no ice cream now, what a conspiracy to keep me healthy!

We're getting all sorts at the moment - some heavy snow last night and strong winds with a bit of icy rain this morning. The weather site I've just looked at says "3C feels like -2". I can't say I feel that warm.

We're getting all sorts at the moment - some heavy snow last night and strong winds with a bit of icy rain this morning. The weather site I've just looked at says "3C feels like -2". I can't say I feel that warm.

Not that bad here. Just not pleasant. 46F/8C outside, and rainy.

I just realized that I can ask SIRI for the temperature outside in Fahrenheit or Celsius. What a duffus. A millennial would have known that years ago.
CD

Such a miserable weather over here as well. Not much cold (4c pretty manageable) but the rain is like an open shower...

What we get in Dallas in the winter is a light rain, or sometimes just a drizzle or a mist. When it is cold and there is this mist in the air, the whole world seems to be a gloomy shade of grey, and you get wet walking to the mailbox.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom